Why I chose the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JREW & KANFJR - where do you find such wonderful girls-Mine just said ,buy what

you want & maybe I'll go along sometime ! Its a mixed blessing.The trick is I

always have to ask if she wants to go before I leave. :D Sliick2

Y I bought it: Motorcycle of the year, 2 years runnin. Y I like it: Thrills every time I climb aboard, whether for 7 miles or 700.

Mainly it's looks (luggage, etc), upright riding position & price.

I was looking to upgrade from my Kaw EX500 that I'd been riding for years. The FJR happened to fit the bill for what I really wanted... hard luggage, looks & upright seating. Well, actually I spent a wee bit more $$$ than I had planned but once I sat on Joe Prentiss's bike, I had to have one. I had been looking at the used Beemers... but no way I was buying one after sitting on an FJR.

Horsepower & all that jazz was just nice perks! And the color! I just lovvvve the two tone silver. Blue... any shade, just doesn't trip the trigger. When I decided to buy one there were no '04's available. I called around asking if they had an '05 in silver. Hahaha! That was b4 I knew that you could only get 1 color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see ....

1. 3 digit number IBR # holders use this machine.

2. This forum

3. Warchild (let's face it - anyone shooting at Barbie with a .45 is ... well... unique?)

4. Didn't want to spend $1K on basic services for a bmw.

5. Dependability. (Note - ask Jim Owen about bavarian designed clutches)

6. I've had a grin on my face since I plunked down my $500 for my 06. This one thing says it all.

My thought process during my search.

I was riding a Vstar 1100. I had put high compression pistons, cam, K&N filter, jetted the carb, full exhaust and went from a stock mid 50hp to 72hp. Still needed more power. Also driving into work everyday I had no wind protection and my back always hurt from having to pull on the handbars for the wind.

Anyway I had this bike almost 5 years and was just ready for something different.

I first made a list of what I didn't like about my present bike.

Wind Protection.

Handling

Power

Riding position (even though it was a cruiser the leg postion was out in front which provided no support and couldn't use legs in cornering.)

I first started looking more at the R6 & R1 which really didn't address wind protection or riding position.

Then I came across the words Sport Touring. I started researching the words first and found that it seemed to be in the right direction. Now which bike.

The bikes I looked at were the Honda ST and the Yamaha FJR. I didn't look at any BMW really mostly because of price.

Looks of the FJR won out between the 2.

Power had to go to the FJR.

While comfort and handling could go either way and comfort probably more to the Honda in the end Power and looks won out for me. Comfort and handling were something that I new I could work on with risers and aftermarket seats.

Handling could also be addressed but for me was last on the list.

I have to say I was a bit upset with the comfort aspect when I first got it. The stock seat for me hurt something terrible and that was more my body type problem than a fjr flaw. Seats have helped cure this and proper riding gear.

All and all I am very happy with my choice and glad I bought the fjr.

Will I buy another? Probably not. Not because anything is wrong with it but I will probably own this bike for 5 years or so and will just be ready for something different 5 years down the road...

For the longest time I wanted a high performance motorcycle, suited for long distance touring. After years of nagging the ICU about it (a.k.a the wife), she said "fine, get your darn bike, just don't come home with your head under your arm".

It was then that I started researching my options seriously. I came up with the following requirements for my prospective bike (in no particular order):

- Large cargo-carrying capacity (my 250+ lbs. plus luggage).

- Power to spare for fast traveling.

- Torque availability for quick acceleration.

- Nimble maneuverability for collision avoidance.

- High performance breaking system with ABS (also for collision avoidance).

- Good looking machine.

- Reasonably priced.

At the time I didn't know any better and needed a starting baseline, so I chose the H.D. Ultra classic Electraglyde as the starting point or benchmark. It only took a couple of minutes of Googling around to find a better one, and the new benchmark became the BMW K1200LT. This lasted a couple of weeks. Then it happened... I came across a motorcycle that by pure coincidence had my initials ... it was nimble, quick and with lots of power, great cargo capacity and looked great, and to top it off it was half the price of the K1200LT. It was a match made in motorcycle heaven! Five excruciating months later I was riding my FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why I bought it
1) 145 HP

2) Great looks

3) Great rep & rap from owners

4) Dealer not a BMW dealer

5) Bike did not cost $18,200+

6) No more 'cruiser butt'

7) 210 miles+ per tank, not 120 like the old cruiser

8) Detachable bags

9) The GIVI option

Why I love it

1) 145 HP

2) Twisties !

3) High speed cruise

4) Comfortable (esp after the Russell gets here...)

5) 0-60

6) Detachable bags

7) I can change my own oil

8) Support of this site & WC & HMarc sites

9) Smooooooooooth !

10) 145 HP
+1

Although the beauty of the bike first caught my eye, it was the stats that made me drool. ScooterG let me ride his and I was sold.

You guys are "fooling" yourselves if you think this bike has 145 pony's...Maybe at the crank, but who gives a shit about that?

I'm guessing about 125 HP at the wheel, and with its rotund wt. it feels like a 100HP bike when you whack it open

I bought it inspite of its merely adequate power, ditto for the shaft (I've toured for 20 plus yrs with chains...), and once more, inspite of its low wattage output for accesory's

Panniers

range between stops

Best overall sport touring rig, with the emphasis on sport. At the time...BMW may finally have produced a winner in this all important aspect(albeit at a HUGE price difference)

BUT I should have never sold my '88 Katana 1100 with factory Krauser panniers. It did everything better...

Flame suit on!

Sanders in Mn

You guys are "fooling" yourselves if you think this bike has 145 pony's...Maybe at the crank, but who gives a shit about that?I'm guessing about 125 HP at the wheel, and with its rotund wt. it feels like a 100HP bike when you whack it open
Fooling ourselves?

Most members of this board know that when horsepower is expressed it means at the crank and even a few of those know it's brake horsepower (bhp) as codified by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).

And we know wheel horsepower is less. The dyno chart tends to supports the 145/125 claim. No surprises here.

But, I guess my butt dyno isn't as calibrated as yours to determine 100 horsepower. Is that an SAE or ISO standard butt?

I do also know that the '03s supposedly have more roll-on accleration in the higher gears than the later years. Maybe it's that?

Best overall sport touring rig, with the emphasis on sport. At the time...BMW may finally have produced a winner in this all important aspect(albeit at a HUGE price difference)
you sound bitter, and you also do not sound like you have an FJR, why would you buy a bike you thought was "merely adequate"

those of us who ride every day in every type of weather and in any conditions know that this is the most reliable, responsive, smooth, beautiful ride in it's class, IMHO only the Ducati STS comes even close to being as beautiful a ride, as to your statement about HP, my Dyno numbers will crush any "guessing" about the numbers,

and if you think the BEEMER is such a hot bike you should get one,

Natural step-up from my FJ1200...[SIZE=21pt]KICK ASS [/SIZE] fun bike, 15K miles in 11 months....oh yeah, the best part....THE POLITICAL THREADS IN THIS FORUM ... :D :D :D

Latest posts