Why my side case fell off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric L

Not that kind of a doctor
Reaction score
So I lost my sidecase on a bumpy road a few weeks ago. I figured out today why it happened as it almost happened again.

There are two screws holding the metal tab of the locking mechanism to the lock. We all know these get loose. We should all make sure they are tight. Yeah, sure.

One of mine was loose. I treated it with threadlock, but did not treat the other screw. It got loose enough so that the metal bolt could swivel on the lock, using the one tight screw as a 'spindle'. This allowed me to 'lock it' without the metal bolt fully engaged in the handle. Bumpy road, metal bar shifted enough for the case to become 'unlocked' even though the lock itself was locked.

Nobody's fault but mine.

For the 999th time..... threadlock the damn screws and save yourself a $450 repair.

Excellent info. For someone benefitting from your timely advice, did you use an application specific tool (torx or whatever these take) or a more generic tool when removing and replacing these screws?

Excellent info. For someone benefitting from your timely advice, did you use an application specific tool (torx or whatever these take) or a more generic tool when removing and replacing these screws?
The OEM screws dictate that you use a Torx T-10 Security bit (unless you want to drill them out ;) )

The bits are pretty cheap if you can find a place that sells them individually.

I'm surprised a moderator hasn't come on and asked why you didn't do a search.

This topic has been hashed and rehashed many times over the years.

If topics weren't rehashed there wouldn't be any board in operation very long. It's about balance. I appreciate the topic from Eric and the tool tip from the Ionisphere.

Besides ... The Mod who usually does most of the tidying up is currently riding in the desert :D

I just checked mine, something I have been meaning to do for a while ... Guess what I found ...

One of those bolts is missing on each case. The ones remaining are loose (now not loose)

For reference, they are M3 x 5mm T10 Torx head.

I will be getting replacements today, and count myself very lucky. Sometimes re-hashing stuff brings its own reward ... So Thank You!

...Nobody's fault but mine.

Actually, no, it's the supplying dealer's responsibility to put thread-lock on the screws.
From the supplied instructions:

Click on image for larger view

The OEM screws dictate that you use a Torx T-10 Security bit (unless you want to drill them out ;) )
I have used a small pair of pliers to turn the screws by gripping the heads. Needs must when you're away from civilisation and away from home ;) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah ... The remaining ones in mine do not require security bits. Regular T10 is fine. Yours might be different.

I got rid of the Torx screws and replaced them with regular screws from a hobby shop. And, Yes! they CAN fall out after you treat them with locktite. It happened to me.
bye.gif

Thank you, Eric L for sharing a tale of your misfortune. Yes, I've read about Loctiting those screws threescore times, but I think I'm actually going to do it this weekend -- before I add another "Hud is a moron" chapter to my life.

($450? Yikes! That's like ... a custom seat!)

McaTrophy and I fish in the same hole. I noted that information on my brand new '14. When I asked the dealer if they lock-tited the screws, he said they did not. So I did it - to all 4 of them.

This is one thread I think is worth the bump!

Agree with most of the rest; I've seen the thread in the past and also appreciate the rehash. I'll be doing mine this weekend. Had 3 different T10 Torx bits and screwdrivers in my garage, none of them Security style. Damn! I'll be visiting Home Depot tomorrow.

On every FJR I've owned, the lock screws have been replaced with SS phillips head...with loctite of course. Never has the [mis]fortune to have one loosen up yet!

--G