Why wouldn't the FJR benefit from a steering stabilizer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skully

Reaction score
My 05 is wiggly up front. Tires be damned. I'm not begging to be flamed. :blink:

I've been on a quest for a more solid feel at the grips since day 1. They didn't even include a fork brace. Shouldn't it give the rider an undeniable feel of quality given the "Super Sport" hype?

It also gives any bike with one heavier steering and makes it more sluggish in transitions. There is a certain tradeoff between light/quick steering and stability in the front end of any motorcycle. Based on a variety of factors, some motorcycles need supplmental damping help, others don't. More isn't always better.

- Mark

If the FJR truely need a stabilizer some of the warp speed riders would have already put one on. In general when the guru's of these sites see a need it its developed. But I guess none felt it was necessary.

Doesn't mean though that one can't develop and use one if they so desire.

Hmm. I think it feels like a very quality piece of engineering at a great value. I didn't know it was unforgivable for manufacturers not to include a fork brace....how dare they not include one and jack up the price another couple hundred bucks!

Maybe if you don't damn your tires they'll get right with the lord and quit wiggling.

But, what do I know? Apparently, I'm just a cultist wary of troll-like remarks. :glare:

something is wrong with your bike - it should not be wiggly up front.
My 05 is rock solid.
+1

Head bearings? Wheel bearings? Something bent? Something aint right.

While I had a Scotts on my previous bike which has two settings for high speed and low speed dampning, I don't feel the need for one on the FJR.

I don't understand why Yamaha did not include the fork brace. Seems like cheapniss. Many FJR buyers buy one immediately. We get it, Yamaha doesn't?

Missing information -- Tires, tire condition, inflation. Trunk installed? She will wiggle with the trunk and no pillion. Checked your suspension settings? Two hundred pounds in you saddle bags? Heck, saddle bags installed? Wiggles only during decel or all the time when over some speed?

And, +1 on checking the steering bearings, wheel bearings and while you are there, check the front wheel nuts & bolts.

I had no wigglies when approaching red line in top gear without a fork brace. When I put on a fork brace and I still had no wigglies but I had more gigglies in the corners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many FJR buyers buy one immediately. We get it, Yamaha doesn't?
I doubt that very much. I bet significantly less than a majority of FJR's overall have fork braces. At WFO it seemed like maybe 1 out of 3....although a bunch did buy them that weekend. I would even guess that it's about 50/50 on this forum.

Care to make a wager?

I see Iggy is still in troll slayer form…

troll-slayer.jpg

I see Iggy is still in troll slayer form…
I guess I still get rubbed the wrong way when people try and make subjective opinions sound like obvious facts. It bugs me when people think Yamaha missed something, designed something defectively, or others want to add something that the aftermarket crowd probably does better anyway.

....or maybe it's strike 1 when somebody apologizes in advance or asks not to be flamed in the first sentence.

For the record after 2wheelie's response I don't think he's a troll.....just a person with a different opinion. It's all good. B)

....and I need to make back the $20 I lost to Paul Martin on the alternator bet. ;)

Missing information -- Tires, tire condition, inflation. Trunk installed? She will wiggle with the trunk and no pillion. Checked your suspension settings? Two hundred pounds in you saddle bags? Heck, saddle bags installed? Wiggles only during decel or all the time when over some speed?
And, +1 on checking the steering bearings, wheel bearings and while you are there, check the front wheel nuts & bolts.

I had no wigglies when approaching red line in top gear without a fork brace. When I put on a fork brace and I still had no wigglies but I had more gigglies in the corners.
I purchased the head bearing service kit from Bikejohnny and I'm going to check the torque on top next. I've had the tire changed twice. I don't see any counterweights so I checked both times, they said they did their job. At this particular dealer (Honda) I have no reason to doubt. The bearings have 8k on them and are spotlessly clean, no crunching or play. I try to check my inflation for every ride, more often than that if I have to pull over to snap pics or somethin. I don't use a trunk and have minimal weight and size soft luggage. My saddle bags were heavy on my last trip and it did make the problem worse. I didn't bring any bricks.

I don't think my Yamaha dealership is qualified to touch this bike, besides being a notorious crook. They knifed up the windshield screws the first time in. How hard can that be to do correctly?

I posted about my tire worries elsewhere and got a rash and shit about running a different maker (but same type) front and rear. As far as I know the tires simply have to be of the same type front and rear. I will soon know for sure. I've got a PR for the back and thats a perfect pair. I had a Z4 in the back up to this point.

As far as the missing fork brace goes, when things are not done and the price is high (more than my trailer) it just makes me wonder.

Man, another problem with the FJR? Fook it. As soon as the new Connie comes out I'm jumping ship. Oh, wait... It doesn't have a factory brace either. Screw that then, I'll get a Gold Wing. Damn, that ain't got one either. Sigh, maybe I'll go with the ST1300. Shit! That doesn't have one! Maybe the Sprint ST? Damn. Ooooh, I know - Ducati ST3! Fook, they too leave off a brace?! :angry: WTF are all these manufacturers thinking?!!!!!

Man, another problem with the FJR? Fook it. As soon as the new Connie comes out I'm jumping ship. Oh, wait... It doesn't have a factory brace either. Screw that then, I'll get a Gold Wing. Damn, that ain't got one either. Sigh, maybe I'll go with the ST1300. Shit! That doesn't have one! Maybe the Sprint ST? Damn. Ooooh, I know - Ducati ST3! Fook, they too leave off a brace?! :angry: WTF are all these manufacturers thinking?!!!!!
You are mean :ph34r:

He does it well, and it's well he does it. Someones gotta rein in these n00bs, and TDubs das buckaroo....

bucktopbig.gif

Yee Haw, Ya!

I've had the tire changed twice. I don't see any counterweights so I checked both times, they said they did their job. At this particular dealer (Honda) I have no reason to doubt. The bearings have 8k on them and
NO wheel weights? I'd be highly suspect of that...I can't recall ever seeing a bike tire/wheel combo that was so perfect that it didn't require *some* balancing.

I've had the tire changed twice. I don't see any counterweights so I checked both times, they said they did their job. At this particular dealer (Honda) I have no reason to doubt. The bearings have 8k on them and
NO wheel weights? I'd be highly suspect of that...I can't recall ever seeing a bike tire/wheel combo that was so perfect that it didn't require *some* balancing.
Not uncommon. Just had a set of Strada's installed. 2 small weights in the back, no weights in front. Balanced on a static (not spin) balancer.

I'm confused on the original question...do you feel the bike is lacking a fork brace or a steering damper?