Wind Roar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit more about the Baker Air Wings https://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/page37.html

An awesome little product that mounts on the single lower screw of your inner dash panel, rubber washers to prevent chafing of the panels and paint. They are adjustable to fold in or out, bring in a lot of fresh air, or block some of the cold air/rain. Particularly useful for those with bigger windshields. Get the light smoke, they don't look so obvious.

I'd like to add an extra sun visor like you see on dirt bike helmets to see what kind of effect that has.

You could try a Super-Visor.

closeup.jpg

I haven't tried one, so can't really vouch for them. I've been tempted to give one a try myself for spring and fall (low sun) riding.

I do have a dual sport helmet with a similar beak on top and that has less of an effect of being tugged around at speed by the wind than you'd expect, even with the bike's windshield all the way down.
My Pillion uses a Helmet Sunblocker Sun Visor.

sunface.jpg

basunblocker.jpg

It is essentially a die cut piece of limo tint that is applied inside the face shield. (Hint, hint. Buy a strip and roll your own.) She loves the tint strip and says that it makes a huge difference. I install the strip just like limo tint and it goes on bubble free. I spent big bucks, $12, and bought the Sun Visor because it has cut-outs that align around the Arai face shield vents. Well, while checking my link to see if it works I find out that the price has gone up to $16. It goes on easy and comes right off if you want to peel it off and leaves no residue behind

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit more about the Baker Air Wings https://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/page37.html

An awesome little product that mounts on the single lower screw of your inner dash panel, rubber washers to prevent chafing of the panels and paint. They are adjustable to fold in or out, bring in a lot of fresh air, or block some of the cold air/rain. Particularly useful for those with bigger windshields. Get the light smoke, they don't look so obvious.
Hey Raze, Do you by chance have a better picture of these wings? The website picture is really lousy. I might be interested in them. Do you have them on your bike?

Gary

darksider #44

Laminar lip - not much information on its effectiveness on the Gen II FJR. Not crazy about the look but would consider it if it really works well.

In the October 2007 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News, Bill Shaw wrote: At 6.1 with a 31.5" inseam, I couldn't get the stock windscreen to work for me. It created too much turbulence which translated into noise. Wanting to keep the FJR's sport-touring looks intact, I ordered Yamaha's Touring Windshield. Constructed of durable polycarbonate, it is 4" taller and 1/2" wider than the stock unit. Aesthetically, it is arguably one of the nicest on the market. Unfortunately, the wind noise was not eliminated until I added a Laminar Lip.

I found that as my speed approached and exceeded 70 mph, neither the stock windshield nor the taller/wider Yamaha Touring windshield were enough to obviate the wind noise. Instead of mounting a "barn door" on the front of my bike to control the air flow, I opted to order a Laminar Lip. While the benefits of the Laminar Lip were negligible when used on the stock windscreen, it worked exceptionally well with Yamaha's taller touring windshield, while keeping the FJR's sport-touring aesthetics intact. Regardless of my speed, all audio inputs now come through without wind intrusion.

I emailed Rifle to see if they would sell their tuning blocks separately but I strongly suspect they won't.
Since you have a Gen II, a Tuning Block will not work on your bike. Per Rifle's website:

For the previous version of the FJR we innovated and invented a "Tuning Block", which others are now trying to copy on the "cheap". We wanted to do the same for this version so that any windshield would work with it, but determined the new Yamaha windshield lifting mechanism design would not handle the stress of forcing a bracket into it, plus a windshield with the ideal aerodynamic curve would not match up to the factory mounts and not clear the fairing.
We designed instead, "Angle Optimizers", when mounted onto the factory windshield mounts with our windshield solves all the major issues with the FJR—a more aerodynamically curved windshield, proper spacing for the correct amount of air flow behind the windshield and a windshield mounted at the most effective angle in the upper positions. One minor downsize is the Rifle Windshield System for the ('06- ) FJR only works with the Rifle "Angle Optimizers" and the "Angle Optimizers" will not work with any other FJR windshield. The good news is, besides offering standard multiple sizes, we can build virtually any "custom" size you want.

...I have a Cal Sci windshield but I'm not sure the size (it came with the bike), there is also some black trim on the shield which I'm not sure if it's supposed to be decorative or functional:

10031648_e0f5d33e19_o.jpg
I believe that you have a Saeng windshield edging. From the site: "Saeng's patented Micro-Swirls™ technology."

Hrm, I don't think the stuff I have is that fancy. Maybe a different brand that's supposed to do the same thing. The Saeng stuff seems to have quite a bit more of a complex profile compared to mine which seems to be oversized door edge molding.

One thing I noticed yesterday was that with the windshield fully up if I raise my helmet visor completely the wind roar just disappears, I get maybe a wee bit more buffeting but overall a much more pleasant experience.

Of course when I lowered my visor later it was smeared with many bugs on the inside of the visor. I guess if I needed proof that the roar was caused by air going over the top of my helmet I have it.

As I approach the 50K mark, my #1 bitch with the FJR has been, and is still the wind noise. Yes, I know helmet, jacket, body size, earplugs, etc all play into the noise level, but all things being the same, the FJR is just plain loud.

I can hop on my buddy's C-14 and it's dead quiet behind the screen. Last night I put about 100 miles on a 1200GS. First thing I noticed was how incredibly quiet the wind noise level was. Same body, same helmet, same coat, same custom fit earplugs. On one short leg I left my earplugs out just to try it. With earplugs out, the GS was about the same wind noise level as with them in on the FJR. The answer is not with better earplugs, but with better wind management so the turbulence doesn't exist. The GS has a pretty small screen, but it punches a nice hole in the air that leaves your helmet in near-perfect still air. No noise, no turbulence, and no back pressure.

Has anyone tried machining some plates to (effectively) raise the lower arms (the 'two bolt' arm) on a GenII? This would increase the air space under the shield, and lay the shield at a flatter angle as well. I may have to do some experimenting...

This is on my '04, but this is the stock screen with the Rifle tuning block.

Much quieter than anything I've tried; Stock and VStream with skyway spacers, and Rifle Sport. I also have the shorter than stock Cee Baily Sport screen, which is very small, and it was very nice and quiet and I used it when I lived in TX. For MN I like the stock screen as it's not nearly as hot here. When the weather gets cold again I will put the Rifle screen on for the last and first month or two of the riding season.

The answer to quietness is a smaller screen to keep your helmet above the turbulence line. Notice how small the screen was on that BMW GS you drove.

DSCN2034.jpg

DSCN2033.jpg

That's the kind of angle I want to try on the GenII !
I run the Rifle screen and after stock, Cee Baily, and now a +5 +4 Rifle life is good. Yes it is a barn door when up, but it never goes up more than a inch or two. That is all it takes for me to get clean air over me. The only time it is up into or over sight line is in rain.

I think sometimes we have to think about these short shield and what they can accomplish. I wanted just about clean air in the full down position so I did not have to raise it into my sight line at all. The Barn Door does that very well.

As far as rake I think you need to buy a rifle as they have made it proprietary for you to use their shield with their tuning block.

Damn windshields and seats, man can you spend some time and money getting them right!

+1 - I'm currently running the OEM shield with rifle tuning block and keep the shield down low for quietest air flow. With the shield tipped way back the trailing edge is just barely above the Radar Detector mounted on the handlebars. I get the full force blast of air in my chest and there is no wind roar. If I raise the shield to the top the air off the top of the shield hits me just at the bottom edge of my helmet. There is some added noise but still no buffeting of the head.

If you think the wind management on an FJR is bad, try riding a (stock) V-strom. The 'stroms have a small windshield but it is at a steep angle and is located far forward from the rider's head. The air that spills off that shield is far more turbulent than any FJR. The fix for most 'strom riders is to get a Madstad bracket, which allows you to space the shield out and tip it back further towards the rider, just like the tuning block does. Being a cheap SOB, I have just cut down the 'strom shield very short, so it barely covers the dash. My GPS actually sticks up above the top of the shield! Again the results are clean, quiet air flow and a chest-full of air.

At 6'2" with a long torso, I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to get into a pocket of quiet, not turbulent air with a taller shield. I've tried the biggest there is and, while I can still barely see over the top, it still buffets the top of my head. I would have to have a windshield that I look through to really achieve a total envelope of quiet. I'm not sure I could get into that. Might as well be driving a convertible then.

+2 on that one again Fred. I'm the same height as you and just too tall for the shields made for the FJR. If you're 6'2 or above just forget about trying to get a windshield big enough to create a dome around you. If it does, it's going to be really loud in the down position, and I ride with ear plugs or in-ears.

Re-opening this thread here...
Like many, I've been struggling with the wind blast, at the base of my helmet. Terrible noise.
I've been running an after-market tinted "shorty" shield... and it's just deafening.
Then I purchased a CalSci "shorty" shield... have yet to try it (it's 25 degrees outside right now). It's brand-new / un-used.. but after reading through this thread, I'm wondering if it's right for me, or should I try to return it and go for the Rifle ?? OR... try the shim (7mm washer) mod?
So much info! Waaah!
The one thing I'm stubborn on- Earplugs (for me) are just putting a band-aid on the problem. Whether I should or should not be using them in general... well, is another issue - but first I want to try and tame the FJR hurricane.

If you want to eliminate wind noise you need to get a taller screen. I replaced my stock screen with a CalSci tall screen. I can adjust it to whatever height is needs to eliminate the noise and turbulence.

I know a lot of us have tried a few--or a lot--of windscreens, searching for that elusive quiet pocked of air, but I think you'd be nuts to send the CalSci back untried. I know a lot of research on aerodynamics of the wind flow were done in developing those screens (I've had 3 CalSci's). Mine were not shorties, but I still think he makes well researched and well designed screens. Look on the CalSci website--he's got a LOT there about airflow vorteces and shit like that there. Plus a lot of other stuff too--interesting character. Spend a few minutes (or a whole day) browsing through the pages and pages of his many interests, far beyond windscreens. But give his a test before you move on.

Re-opening this thread here...
Like many, I've been struggling with the wind blast, at the base of my helmet. Terrible noise.
I've been running an after-market tinted "shorty" shield... and it's just deafening.
Then I purchased a CalSci "shorty" shield... have yet to try it (it's 25 degrees outside right now). It's brand-new / un-used.. but after reading through this thread, I'm wondering if it's right for me, or should I try to return it and go for the Rifle ?? OR... try the shim (7mm washer) mod?
So much info! Waaah!
The one thing I'm stubborn on- Earplugs (for me) are just putting a band-aid on the problem. Whether I should or should not be using them in general... well, is another issue - but first I want to try and tame the FJR hurricane.
I've been running the Rifle for years with no complaints. I originally thought I would need to switch back to stock for the warmer weather but due to the angle on the Rifle I found it was unnecessary. Gets plenty airflow under the screen, though I know you prefer the shorty shields so you may not like the aesthetics of the Rifle but it works for me. YMMV.

Depends upon what you're riding. On my gen 1 I had a Rifle "barndoor" with the tuning block, and a naca vent, I fricken loved it. Quiet with no back pressure and decent airflow. On my gen 3, in spring, summer, and fall I ride the stock shield and think its great. When it's cold I switch to a v-stream that the bike came with. Regardless of what shield I always ride with NR33 foam earplugs. If they're in properly, wind noise is practically non-existent. It also helps to ride with a decent noise reducing helmet. Although earplugs are the shizzle, don't leave home without them!!

I have been searching for a reasonable solution. I am experiencing what (to me) is excessive wind noise (background roar). I don't even consider a ride of more than a few minutes at highway speed without earplugs. (I wear earplugs anyway, but quieter ambient noise levels are still preferred) I have read threads on the subject until I am cross-eyed so I thought I might start a new post to see if I can get a direct answer.

Bike - 2007 Seat in higher position

Me - 6'3", 34" inseam

Riding - Solo; rarely with a passenger

Shields - Stock is turbulent and noisy

CeeBailey not particularly turbulent but quite noisy (also whistles at certain speeds); better than stock

VStream, despite the barn door size, is surprisingly noisy

There are many proponents of the Cal-Sci and Rifle but I am not quite ready to make the investment for the sake of another experiment. If I knew that a particular windshield would have the desired outcome for me, I would not hesitate. I would like to explore lower cost options first.

Helmet - I know there can be a tremendous difference between helmets and a change is in the near future, but not part of this discussion.

Someone apparently makes a sort of windshield trim material that is supposed to reduce noise but I hate the look of the stuff. Don't know how well it works.

Laminar lip - not much information on its effectiveness on the Gen II FJR. Not crazy about the look but would consider it if it really works well.

I have been reading about spacers and there is not much concensus on what works (or doesn't work) for the Gen II. There have been a number of discussions/comments about bracket contact with the Tupperware causing damage to the paint.

i) Do the spacers actually work with the Gen II to substantially reduce wind roar?

ii) What thickness to minimize contact - (1/4"?)

Anybody have alternate suggestions? (other than buying a Goldwing)

Ross
Decibullz ear plugs…

Lots of activity in a 10+ year old thread?

I have stock, Vstream and Cee Bailey windscreens - currently using the CB. Always use foam earplugs and, for the most part, have learned to live with it. Quieter would be better.

Bought a MRA knockoff windscreen accessory last year but never got around to trying it. Will install in the spring.