Wind Shield 2013 Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyfjr

Reaction score
The dreaded issue of noise and buffetting for the majority of riders?

Or are you Gen III owners all waiting for new a CB and alike to manufacture a screen?

A

Last edited by a moderator:
California Scientific already makes one (several) for the Gen III

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJR1300prod.html

I think I'll actually wait until my '13 shows up before I buy one though
no.gif

If the stock screen proves unsatisfactory, I will wait for MRA screens to have one available. My experience with MRA screens has been spectacular: a bubble of calm air around my head.

My stocker is working quite well right now. I have an inquiry in with a Yamaha shop on the "touring" screen for "winter" here in FL.

I also have the Calsci screen, just produced for the 2013 FJR and I'm working with them on some testing. No ride report just yet on their offering.

EDIT #1:

I am always looking for the "perfect" windscreen. There has to be one that will do it all, right?
biggrin.png
biggrin.png
biggrin.png

EDIT #2:

The Calsci windscreen I have is the "try and buy" screen. I am testing it and after I'm done in the next couple of days, I will send it via USPS (CONUS only) to the next person who wants to test it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a taller shield from CALSCI which should be here this week. I find the stock shield is just too low, putting the airflow right into my face shield at speed. A little more height should do it. I'll post my thoughts after trying it out a bit. The screen and the elbow mirrors are my only gripes an a wonderful machine.

Well, I installed the new windshield from California Scientific and I've ridden with it for about 50 miles. Here's my initial observations:

- Very easy to install. The instructions are adequate. Quality is very good. Delivery was quick.

- CalSci included steel bolts to replace the plastic stock ones. These are needed as the stock ones are so soft I almost stripped the heads in removal. They certainly would not survive repeated removals. CALSCI gives lots of caution about over tightening for the obvious reason.

- I got the Large Xtra Wide model in clear (I see they have tinted ones now). It is 5.5" taller than stock and is taller than I need. At full height I'm looking through the screen which is not what I wanted. It is WAY less breezy back there now but the smaller size would probably been a better pick and just as effective at cutting turbulence.

- The design is not elegant. My first reaction was that it looks like a windshield from a bus. It is big and boxy.

- Biggest concern is the width at the very bottom of the shield. At the lowest setting I have 1mm of clearance from the fairing on the right and 3mm on the left. CALSCI includes some stick-on clear silicon tape that you are supposed to apply to protect the fairing. More inelegance. The clearance is only a problem at the lowest point and since I don't position it there I'm not sure it's an issue for me or not.

-I'm not sure if I'll leave it on. It is functional but a bit big and boxy and I am concerned about the fairing. I'll leave it on for now and perhaps it will grow on me.

We'll see.

...CalSci included steel bolts to replace the plastic stock ones. These are needed as the stock ones are so soft I almost stripped the heads in removal.

Just remember, Yamaha fitted plastic ones to potentially save you considerable grief in an "off". Personally I'd buy and fit new plastic ones.

...CalSci included steel bolts to replace the plastic stock ones. These are needed as the stock ones are so soft I almost stripped the heads in removal.

Just remember, Yamaha fitted plastic ones to potentially save you considerable grief in an "off". Personally I'd buy and fit new plastic ones.
I have spares (plastic) just in case one break..

Im 5'7" and I do get a fair amount of helmet noise, course could just be the old cheap HD helmet. I'm leaning towards the CB.

The stock shield on my '13 wasn't bad ..just a little too low. I bought the factory touring shield, it's fine for me. Just a hint of backpressure sometimes and it moves around a bit too in traffic.

I'm tall, 6'5", but normally I want my head in open air for ventilation. I wear ear plugs 99% of the time so the wind noise is not an issue.

I dont like the stock shield at all. Im 5'5'' I really like a nice quiet ride at speed. Anything over 65mph and its a constant roar. Im looking for something better. I had a rifle on my Gen 1 bike and loved it. I do think the stock shield looks great and it works decent just not as good as I like.

ed