Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabimf

Reaction score
This is a question for those that have aftermarket windscreens. I've been reading many windscreen topics on this site.

It seems that some screens work well, some sort of well, some not so well. Some work well part way up, some all the way up etc.

The screen changes it's angle from at the lowest setting to some what verticle when it is raised. It seems to me that this process actually moves the screen away from the rider even further once it is fully raised and may be a cause of buffeting. I would think that the optimum location for the screen would be at it's lowest point since the angle would be better.

My question is this. ( whew I thought he would never get to it) Do you think the screen would work better if it were say 6 inches longer than stock and say 4 inches wider and left in the lower position verses say a screen 2 or 3 inches taller and 4 inches wider raised.

Basically, I'm trying to avoid buying a screen that I don't like since my funds are not unlimited. I have read where several owners have purchase several screens to find the right one and I want to avoid that if I can.

Just for info I was looking at the CB in the 6" even though I'm 5'10". Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried a number of things you mention, with not much satisfaction. I don't know if they make a tuning block for after '05 models, but that works best for me (keeps more of the angle as it rises rather than going up and out). There is also a mod for the '05 that you can accomplish by modifying the small arms that raise the shield (drilling holes and placing the bolts in a slightly didderent spot)-I also did that but the tuning block turned out best for me.

A +6 in height is going to be too high in my opinion. I'm 6'4" and have gone through a variety of screen. A Cee Bailys +4+4 with the flip was nearly perfect for me. I ended up settling on a Cal Sci Xtra Large which is about +5 1/2 inches and it's perfect. You should be more than fine at +4 inches with Cee Baily.

V-Stream also seems to be a popular choice and was nearly perfect for me - acaully I'll be selling that one to when I get a chance to post it.

I need those of you that have replaced your stock screen one or more times to provide me with an answer to my question.

I have read several posts regarding different screens and different screen lengths. Some are happy with their choices other were not. Seeing that I do not have unlimited funds I would like to try to make my choice once if possible.

I want the screen to produce a calm area behind it as best as possible. I'm 5'10". It seems to me that when the screen is raised upwards the angle of the screen becomes more verticle therefore moving the screen further from the rider. I would think this would make it produce more noise as well. I would think that the optimal setting for the screen would be near it's lowest point because of the better angle.

Here is the question.(whew I never thought he would get to it) Would I be better off purchasing a screen say 5.5 or 6 inches taller than stock and 4 inches wider and leaving near the lowest setting vs a 4 inch taller and 4 inch wider and having to raise it once again changing the angle to near verticle? I prefer to look over the screen and being longer I could do so without having to raise it as much therefore leaving it at optimal angle. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have Skyway Windshield spacers on mine to tilt the 'shield back (change the angle) and the CalSci for my height is the only one that produces the "still" area you speak of.

Since you failed to mention where you ride, I forced to assume that, like most of us, you'll want to be able to lower the shield enough in summer/hotter weather to get some relief. A +6 shield for someone 5' 10" tall may be too tall.

Dabimf,

It would be helpful if you update your profile with your location. A good reason to do this is because recently another forum user was asking about windshields and I noticed that he lives close to me. So I offered to let him try the 2 shields I have and this past weekend he took me up on the offer. Probably saved him a few bucks.

Because everyone has different torso lengths and sits differently, it's hard to say that what works for me will work for you. The factory shield is horrible for me (too much turbulance raised). Adding my own "skyway" spacers helped some. My Vstream shield is great up or down for me and my wife likes it better for passenger wind protection. It's just too hot for summer use. For summer I use a Cee Bailey +2 height with flip shield. It allows more cooling wind on my body, but still minimizes helmet buffeting.

Good luck finding windshield nirvana. :blink:

This is a question for those that have aftermarket windscreens. I've been reading many windscreen topics on this site.It seems that some screens work well, some sort of well, some not so well. Some work well part way up, some all the way up etc.

The screen changes it's angle from at the lowest setting to some what verticle when it is raised. It seems to me that this process actually moves the screen away from the rider even further once it is fully raised and may be a cause of buffeting. I would think that the optimum location for the screen would be at it's lowest point since the angle would be better.

My question is this. ( whew I thought he would never get to it) Do you think the screen would work better if it were say 6 inches longer than stock and say 4 inches wider and left in the lower position verses say a screen 2 or 3 inches taller and 4 inches wider raised.

Basically, I'm trying to avoid buying a screen that I don't like since my funds are not unlimited. I have read where several owners have purchase several screens to find the right one and I want to avoid that if I can.

Just for info I was looking at the CB in the 6" even though I'm 5'10". Thanks in advance.
I installed the Cal Sci XL screen a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. Nicely engineered and the installation was a snap. I'm about 6'3" and I really like the flexibility this windscreen offers. On hot days I leave it in the lowered position to get more air and I can easily see over the top. I get increasing degrees of protection as the screen is raised until, at full extension, I'm looking through the screen (with no distortion) and I can barely feel/hear the wind at all.

This is a question for those that have aftermarket windscreens. I've been reading many windscreen topics on this site.It seems that some screens work well, some sort of well, some not so well. Some work well part way up, some all the way up etc.

I have a stock shield, yamaha tour shield which is about 4 inches taller than stock but same width and now I'm getting a Cee Bailey +4h +4t with LIP. I've never had a large shield coming off CBR 1100XX and other sport bikes so getting the perfect shield is impossible. Now I liked the Yamaha Touring shield, it's almost tall enough and not wide enough but it did the job over the winter. The Cee Bailey should be just right. With a lip to throw the wind over my head that the tour could not and +4 wide should cover my shoulders (about 6 feet 250lbs) so I see if it gives me some air during summer months and I like looking over the shield when full up. If it all works out I'll be selling at least one (stock) or maybe two???? Remember you are on a motocycle, nothing is going to be perfect..

I replaced my stock 2008 FJR shield with the Yamaha touring shield and, for me, it's just about right (6'0", 200 lbs.). I get a fairly quiet zone behind the screen at highway speed and I can still lower it to get good cooling airflow around town on a hot day. It could probably be about 1" higher to be ideal. I haven't tried it in Winter yet.

KV

I just installed a Cal-Sci +2 on my 04. I'm 5'9 1/2" In the down position I get just enough airflow over my helmet vents to keep from overheating. Lift it up about 2" and its really very quiet with no buffeting or back pressure. A very nicely engineered screen. I'm being totaly honest when I recommend this screen. I just came back from doing a little over 1000 km in 18 hrs - and the last 4hrs of that were in driving rain.. and do you know what I did after some grabbing a bite to eat? I went out for a little scoot because it was such a nice night!

In fact, I was experimenting with it about 2 hrs ago. Going down the hwy at +10 legal speed (HONEST!), the windblast to the sides just brushes my elbows in my normal riding position. I think going the dimensions you want are VERY much overkill. I'm betting you'll hate the screen at that size.

I have a Cee Baily +4" tall and +2" wide with the blue tint & reverse flip.

I am 5"11" and ride with the seat in the highest position. I can get completely calm air and still have about 2" of windscreen to go. So really you could get by with a +2" Cee Baily.

I ride with the stock screen on most of the time, and use the Cee Baily on long trips only. I find it a little hot around town. Not real crazy about the looks. (That goes for most of the aftermarket screens) but it is way more functional than the stocker. The extra width really protects your hands in the rain. I picked this up on E bay pretty cheap direct from Cee-Baily.

bikepics-1231826-full.jpg

I just installed a Cal-Sci +2 on my 04. I'm 5'9 1/2" In the down position I get just enough airflow over my helmet vents to keep from overheating. Lift it up about 2" and its really very quiet with no buffeting or back pressure. A very nicely engineered screen. I'm being totaly honest when I recommend this screen. I just came back from doing a little over 1000 km in 18 hrs - and the last 4hrs of that were in driving rain.. and do you know what I did after some grabbing a bite to eat? I went out for a little scoot because it was such a nice night!
In fact, I was experimenting with it about 2 hrs ago. Going down the hwy at +10 legal speed (HONEST!), the windblast to the sides just brushes my elbows in my normal riding position. I think going the dimensions you want are VERY much overkill. I'm betting you'll hate the screen at that size.
I'm 6' 3'' and have the Calsci XL.

About 3/4 of the way up, I get absolutely no buffetting. The only downside is that it does such a good job blocking the wind - it can get a bit warm.

I've been very happy with the Calsci purchase and they're super-helpful if you give them a call.

About 3/4 of the way up, I get absolutely no buffetting. The only downside is that it does such a good job blocking the wind - it can get a bit warm.
I've been very happy with the Calsci purchase and they're super-helpful if you give them a call.
Yup, I had occasion to call them. The only complaint I have with the screen was the finishing (or lack thereof) on the edges of the screen. 15 minutes with a file and some sandpaper fixed that up. I've been caught in the rain at least 10 times since putting the shield on, amazing at hwy speeds to be nearly totally dry in a driving rain.

Ear plugs were a nescessity with the stock screen, now their entirely optional when you desire that last little bit of serenity.

I've done a lot of fiddling about with the windshield on my '05. For background, I am 6'2", 32" inseam (long torso), have Heli Bar risers and also a Russell saddle that boosts me up about 1".

I have tried:

Stock shield

Stock shield w/ 1/2" spacers

Stock shield w/ 1" spacers

V-stream

V-stream w/ 1/2" spacers

V stream w/ 1" spacers

Rifle Sport w/ tuning block

Calsci XL

Calsci XL w/ rifle tunig block

Rifle Touring w/ tuning block

I have contemplated long and hard about various ways to redesign the mechanism that actuates the windshield without the angle becoming steeper toward the top. The way to do that would be to have a much longer linear actuator, rather than a pivoting linkage. That way the shield would maintain the optimum attack angle and just go up and down parrallel to that angle. However, the Yamaha drive mechanism only drives a little over 1". That isn't nearly enough range unless you use the linkage to amplify that movement.

I have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to achieve a completely quiet zone with the shield in a raised position. The Rifle touring is a +6 windshield. With that in the lowered position I get air blast on my shoulders. In the raised position I still get buffeting on the top of my head.

I now go the other way. I've decided that if I can't have the perfect still pocket, I prefer my head to be fully out in the clean, quiet, non buffeting air. I use my stock shield mounted on the rifle tuning block and leave it all the way down. In that position the wind actually goes up under the back side of the shield and cools the torso. I can still raise the shield up for some protection from the driving rain, but my helmeted head is still out in the weather unless I scrunch down over the tank.

When the temps dip in the fall I will mount my Rifle Touring mega shield again.

Being considerably shorter you may be able to achieve the "quiet pocket" with a +6 shield, but you will have to raise the shield up at least part way and will be looking through the shield. Good luck in your quest.

I am 5'10" and sit very upright (due to back problems), sit all the way to the front of the seat (same reason) and have the seat in the higher position.

I have a CalSci Large and am quite happy with it.

At about 1/3 up the wind it mostly on the helmet but still providing cooling air to the body. At about 2/3 up I can still see over the top and it is much quieter. All the way up doesn't improve things much and I get a low frequency noise.

I wear ear plugs for anything but a short ride.

I have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to achieve a completely quiet zone with the shield in a raised position. The Rifle touring is a +6 windshield. With that in the lowered position I get air blast on my shoulders. In the raised position I still get buffeting on the top of my head.
I now go the other way. I've decided that if I can't have the perfect still pocket, I prefer my head to be fully out in the clean, quiet, non buffeting air.
+1.

so others don't make the same mistake i made ... i went with cee bailey's +6+6 reverse flip for my 08fjr. at just 6' with a 32" in-seam, i hoped to be able to shelter behind it completely in the full up position and look through it. try as i might to ignore it, the buffeting to the top of my helmet proved to be too much.

i now have a cee bailey's -3 on order in the hope of having my head ... fully out in the clean, quiet, non buffeting air as i've done on other bikes.

yet again, i've been sucked into that multi-screen wind storm, but i guess it goes with the territory of any new bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at google maps, you appear to be about a 3.5 hour ride from me.

If you're so inclined to ride out this way, for the small price of 6 Guinness...

I have the following screens you can take for a test ride.

CalSci - Large

VStream

and a CeeBailies +2+4 with flip (currently mounted on my 06).

-MD