Windshield Modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nels Erickson

Reaction score
So I've picked up a Cal Sci windshield for my 2005, and outside of the fact that I got one size too large, I love it. I'm having them cut it down, so that will soon be resolved, but it left me wondering something.

One of the reasons the Cal Sci shield is so nice is because of the holes in the lower front that help equalize the pressure behind the windshield. I'm curious if anyone has attempted to cut similar holes in the stock windshield, and if so what was their success?

One of the reasons the Cal Sci shield is so nice is because of the holes in the lower front that help equalize the pressure behind the windshield. I'm curious if anyone has attempted to cut similar holes in the stock windshield, and if so what was their success?
I cut the Cal-Sci holes in my OEM shield following directions found on this site. I use it for warm weather riding only. After I cut the holes, I went for a ride on the interstate nearby. I'm sure the cagers thought I was nuts as I was "feeling" for the air flow at different windshield settings! :D

Try this first, grab a couple of 3/8" Nuts at your local hardware store (make sure they are around 8mm thick) and use them like the skyway spacers... scroll down to see where they are installed: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=24226

Also, make sure to get some M6 x 1.0 x 25mm bolts to replace the stock silver bolts.

Bam, $3 upgrade that works wonders!