Windshield vibration question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddykevin

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first non-compulsory post, that is, the first actual question on this board.

I recently purchased a new to me 2007 FJR that has some nice farkles already installed. Heli bars, some sort of tempur-pedic seat upgrade, and an aftermarket windshield. My problem is that the piece of plastic covering the screws that hold the windshield on, kinda shaped like a "W", is vibrating. I played with it tonight to see about tightening it, but it would appear that it's only clipped on by some fairly anemic "tabs" on the backside. I was afraid to break them, so I left it alone.

Can anyone tell me how to remedy the buzzing vibration that is being caused by this piece? Other than that, I love this bike! The power is seamless and almost electric! Much different than my '01 Concours. The bike is incredibly light and nimble, it almost feels like it weighs 100 lbs. less that my former mount.

Oh, I also notice a hesitation as I roll on the throttle after a gear change. Is this normal? Perhaps just something that I need to get used to?

Looking forward to being here on the site!

Hello everyone! This is my first non-compulsory post, that is, the first actual question on this board.

I recently purchased a new to me 2007 FJR that has some nice farkles already installed. Heli bars, some sort of tempur-pedic seat upgrade, and an aftermarket windshield. My problem is that the piece of plastic covering the screws that hold the windshield on, kinda shaped like a "W", is vibrating. I played with it tonight to see about tightening it, but it would appear that it's only clipped on by some fairly anemic "tabs" on the backside. I was afraid to break them, so I left it alone.

Can anyone tell me how to remedy the buzzing vibration that is being caused by this piece? Other than that, I love this bike! The power is seamless and almost electric! Much different than my '01 Concours. The bike is incredibly light and nimble, it almost feels like it weighs 100 lbs. less that my former mount.

Oh, I also notice a hesitation as I roll on the throttle after a gear change. Is this normal? Perhaps just something that I need to get used to?

Looking forward to being here on the site!
There's a couple of small hex bolts holding that 'W' in place. It was a bit loose on my feej, so I put some high-density foam rubber strips under the arms of the 'W'

Here's how to safely remove the plastic on a Gen II

The slight hesitation may possibly be cured by a TBS, or the 'unauthorized' TBS. I noticed a vast improvement on throttle smoothness after doing a TBS on my bike.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Great write up, thanks for sharing. Are there any screws holding the plastic "W"? Or, just the tabs?

Also, I'm assuming that you're referring to a Throttle Body Sync? That was just completed by the dealer, paid for by the PO. My issue is with the actual throttle actuation, I believe. As if it's hanging up, or out of round... I'm not sure.

Great write up, thanks for sharing. Are there any screws holding the plastic "W"? Or, just the tabs?

Also, I'm assuming that you're referring to a Throttle Body Sync? That was just completed by the dealer, paid for by the PO. My issue is with the actual throttle actuation, I believe. As if it's hanging up, or out of round... I'm not sure.
There's 2 allen head screws holding the W in place. They are located at the bottom of the W and can be seen if you hold your head by the headlights and look up with a flashlight.

Once you pull the W, you'll see the 7 plastic screws that hold the windshield on. Only use very slight torque on those plastic screws or you'll break them off. They are designed to break off in an accident so that your body doesn't get sliced up by a windshield that doesn't give.

As far as the throttle goes, the 07 has a throttle tube cam profile that makes it difficult to smoothly apply throttle because it's rather abrupt. Search for G2 throttle tube for a replacement that makes throttle application more linear. If you're handy, you can take a dremel to the factory throttle tube cam and duplicate the G2 profile. The other issue is EPA mandated lean tuning that can be fixed by installed a Power Commander that remaps the fuel injection.

Oh, and welcome to the forum and congrats on getting the best year FJR ever!

Look beneath the W on the frame of the shield and there should be a couple small hex bolts. Been a while since I messed with it but if memory serves that is right. Use a flashlight and shine it up the W and you'll see them.

EDIT: HARALD beat me to it.

BTW: I loved the farkle comment: "some sort of tempur-pedic seat upgrade..." beemerdons needs that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha!!!! Ok, so, not quite certain on the tempur-pedic seat mod, but I do appreciat the Beemer reference.

Great advice on the throttle issue, I didn't know that the FI bikes had an issue, but it makes sense. I'll be purchasing the G2 here soon. May need some input on the taking up of cable slack, but I'll deal with that at that time.

Ok, now tell me about the Power Commander?

Hahaha!!!! Ok, so, not quite certain on the tempur-pedic seat mod, but I do appreciat the Beemer reference.

<<snip>>

Ok, now tell me about the Power Commander?
Beemerdons is an esteemed f'd up old Irish scoundrel here on the forum. I has blue and white roundels on his bedroom walls so he can get a hardon.

Power Commander: Lots of threads on that one. Smooths or enhances throttle response, decreases gas mileage and you can adjust it to taste but several maps are available. For a perfect fit for you, a Dyno session is involved. There are units for GEN I and GEN II bikes. That is the nutshell.

One thing to try before going with the G2. Take all the slack out of the trottle. The adjustment is right in the cables on the handle bar. There are directions on this sight. Made a hude difference for me and costs nothing.