Wire Feed Welders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$2,800.00 can buy a lot of Pizza. It would be a fun project but I wonder how many the guy sells. Especially in New England.

Dave

I have a Lincoln 140HD (110 AC) with Argon/CO2 gas. Works great for thinner stuff. Have used with spool gun for Aluminum (using 100% argon) with mixed success.

I have it set up for either Al or steel with gas bottle and feed to spool gun switch out.

Don't bother with flux core. Really messy and hard to weld thin steel w/o blowing thru.

Agree with above^^^^.

The first small mig unit I purchased was one of these, the Hobart has been very solid for me. Don’t make the same mistake I did though and go for solid wire and 75/25 mig gas right away. I spent way too much time fooling around with flux core and all the mess. Just learn how to set up your welds with the gas and regular wire, it’s so much cleaner. Flux core and dual shield has its place, but if you’re welding in your shop, do it the right way.

I spent a few years with this mig machine before I got my first tig (Everlast, no regrets). Now I find myself pulling out the tig machine more often, probably because most of my welding is as much decorative as structural and I find it easier to get very nice welds being patient with the tig torch.

Learning to use shielding gas right away is my plan, but having the option to use flux wire outdoors will also be handy. Luckily the latter doesnt require any special equipment.

I got a mid sized O2 cylinder from my son (it was in the barn at the house he just bought) and Im going to see if a local WS will swap it for a C25 bottle and save some bucks. The O2 bottle is 8 Dia. x ~ 36 tall. What is that, about 120 cu.ft? That seems like a decent size to work with.

I know this is a loaded question, but: What size cylinders do most of you guys have?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is a loaded question, but: What size cylinders do most of you guys have?
10 X 48 here. Lasted me about 3 years of mostly small projects, but a few big ones as well, including major repairs on a backhoe bucket, and building a thumb socket for a different backhoe. Stuff I really should have stick welded. I'm meticulous about shutting off the tank valve to help avoid forgetting to do it. My welder doesn't leak (so far) if I forget to turn off the bottle, but I've owned some that did. I've read that one should open the tank valve all the way to engage the open-seal, but I've been taking my chances at only opening part way on this bottle, which was new 4 years ago.

For my CO2/Argon, I have 20 cu. ft. and a 40 cu. ft. cylinders. For my argon and tri mix, I use 20 cu. ft. cylinders. It takes a fair number of small projects to empty a 20 cu. ft. cylinder.

Fred,

All depends how many times you want to run down to swap it out. I use the size you are talking about. I swap it out a couple of times a year. $36.00 to exchange I believe. I will be fixing my mower deck and reinforcing it this spring. I will need to replace it before I get started. The small tank can be easily transported also. Not so much with the larger tanks.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the other question is at what point do the LWS places give you a hard time about transporting them without certification? I could rig something up to secure a bottle in my truck, but my past work life made me aware of hazmat regs on compressed gasses. Maybe it’s more of a don’t ask, don’t tell situation?

:) lack of commercial plates will let you do plenty that commercial plates will get you some decent fines/tickets. Personally, use due regard. I mean, I'm not driving around with a potential bomb in my truck :)

I throw it in the front cab with me on the passenger side on the floor. Out of sight out of mind. You need to have the screw on cover over the valve or you will get your ass chewed. Now I have to confess I fill my own 100 gallon propane tanks and throw them in the bed of the pickup strapped down. No more riskier than driving a murdercycle in my mind.

Carry on,

Dave

I'm fortunate to have a Central Welding Supply store near my home. Just swap empty bottle for full and paying about $45 for the gas.

I don't think you will have any problem transporting a tank of gas for personal use. I get propane tanks filled all the time. The guy who fills the tanks ensures that I have then standing upright or he won't fill them. Propane tanks have a pressure release valve and it only lets gas escape when upright but could let liquid our if it is lying down. Liquid propane is a lot more dangerous than in gas form.

Anyway, I doubt the supplier would sell you gas if you were transporting it illegally. If you are concerned then call the supplier and ask.