Wish me Luck!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as I love my FJR-AE, I think you might be the perfect candidate for the Connie-14. If Kaw had come out with the Connie-14 in 2006 when I had bought my FJR I would have probably have gotten it instead. I was impatient after dropping my 2005 FJR and bought the 2006-AE. I've never regretted my decission but wonder what role the timimg might have played.I'd say you have some test riding to do. Then make your decission.

For you guys that own both bikes; Don't you notice that the ZX is pretty doggish on the bottom end? I admit it pulls like a freight train above 6k, but my experience on the bike is that it has no grunt on the bottom end. The FJR has lots of pull down low where I spend the majority of my time and that is why I love it so much.

Did you pull your secondary butterflies to get more torque down low?

For you guys that own both bikes; Don't you notice that the ZX is pretty doggish on the bottom end? I admit it pulls like a freight train above 6k, but my experience on the bike is that it has no grunt on the bottom end. The FJR has lots of pull down low where I spend the majority of my time and that is why I love it so much.

No, I bought an 08 model and it pulls like a freight train above 3700 rpms and is very adequate below that. I usually run it around 4k, just like I ride my FJR. There are a lot of ways to describe a ZX-14's performance but "doggish" is not one of them.

No, I bought an 08 model and it pulls like a freight train above 3700 rpms and is very adequate below that. I usually run it around 4k, just like I ride my FJR. There are a lot of ways to describe a ZX-14's performance but "doggish" is not one of them.
I'm speaking from experience here. My friend has an '08 and we've traded bikes numerous times and it is a dog below 6K RPM. Maybe something is wrong with it?

I'm speaking from experience here. My friend has an '08 and we've traded bikes numerous times and it is a dog below 6K RPM. Maybe something is wrong with it?
There must be something wrong with that bike. The 06-07 ZX-14s were soft below 5K due to the secondary butterflies mapping but the 08 models are developing about 90 pounds of torque at 4K. I would guess that the bike you rode has an aftermarket exhaust system, a clogged air filter that doesn't flow enough air at low speeds, or a PC that is not working properly.

There must be something wrong with that bike. The 06-07 ZX-14s were soft below 5K due to the secondary butterflies mapping but the 08 models are developing about 90 pounds of torque at 4K. I would guess that the bike you rode has an aftermarket exhaust system, a clogged air filter that doesn't flow enough air at low speeds, or a PC that is not working properly.
He has aftermarket exhaust and I don't think he has an EFI controller. I'd love to try a stock one. Thanks for the info

He has aftermarket exhaust and I don't think he has an EFI controller. I'd love to try a stock one. Thanks for the info
There could be a dozen or more things that could be causing the problem with your friends bike but if you rode a stock 08 or later model I think you would be very impressed, everyone who has ridden mine has raved about the smooth and powerful engine and plush ride from the fully adjustable suspension. My only complaint is fuel mileage, the stock ZX-14s run very rich and my easy riding mileage is usually around 36-38mpg. I could probably improve both power and fuel economy with a PC but I really do not need any more power and it is not cost effective to add a PC just to increase mileage.

I'm with MCRider on this one. There is nothing sluggish/slow/boring/etc., about the ZX14. From a dead stop to almost any speed above 100 you best be hanging on tight when gun it. Just this past Friday a guy I work with wanted to take the ZX14 around the block. Keep in mind he rides a Victory. I reiterated not to flog the throttle and NOT to grab a handful of the front brake (those who own a ZX should understand). That joker come back with Perma Grin talking about the amount of power the bike has. What was funnier is when I got a text from him that night stating that his Victory seemed slow now.

As much as I love my FJR-AE, I think you might be the perfect candidate for the Connie-14. If Kaw had come out with the Connie-14 in 2006 when I had bought my FJR I would have probably have gotten it instead. I was impatient after dropping my 2005 FJR and bought the 2006-AE. I've never regretted my decission but wonder what role the timimg might have played.I'd say you have some test riding to do. Then make your decission.
I like the Concours but I like the FJR better. It's all personal choice, and to me the FJR is leaner and looks very much like a grown man's sport bike when you remove the bags. If Yamaha ever updates the FJR, I hope they do not make the mistake (to me) of a single exhaust. I've seen where some Connie owners have installed the ZX14 headers/pipes and it looks really sharp. Lastly as stated above, I believe the FJR holds it's resale value better than most Jap bikes.

I like the Concours but I like the FJR better. It's all personal choice, and to me the FJR is leaner and looks very much like a grown man's sport bike when you remove the bags. If Yamaha ever updates the FJR, I hope they do not make the mistake (to me) of a single exhaust. I've seen where some Connie owners have installed the ZX14 headers/pipes and it looks really sharp. Lastly as stated above, I believe the FJR holds it's resale value better than most Jap bikes.
I agree. I love my ZX 14. But I like the FJR better than the Concours, 90% of the time I ride the FJR w/o the luggage, it looks a lot like a sports bike. The Concours is not attractive, it looks big.

I have owned a 03FJR when they first came out,got another in 06 when they changed,wanted something different bought several bikes bmw k1200ltc,busa,bmw boxer cup replica,zzr,then bought a 07 ZX14.I sport toured it out and it wasn't as torquey under 6k rpms but come on its still a 1400cc fuel injected sportbike.I kept having fond memories of my long long trips on my FJR so I sold my zx14 in October 2010 and bought another 06 from this site.I have taken trips on the FJR and it is a great bike but I just still could not get the smoothness and grin factor out of my mind so in January I bought another 09 zx14.I now have both and they are both too fresh to pick one but the zx14 stays at my work for stress relief and the FJR stays home.I do not want to get anyone mad but as busy as I am at work if I can not get any time off this year to take some long trips I will probably keep the zx14 and sell the FJR.That being said the FJR with the hard bags and trunk is so awesome to load the tent,slepping bag etc. and take off for days.The tankbag,soft bags for the ZX14 is okay but its not hard bags.I am 46 yrs old and all I can say bud is you are going to lose alot of sleep over this one but on the bright side you can buy a good used FJR and ZX14 for the price on a new one of either,they are both the 2 best bikes around.

I have a 2008 ZX-14 and a 2007 FJR. I do a good bit of sport-touring on the ZX-14. I have some soft luggage for it and whatnot. For me personally, when riding solo, the ZX-14 with nice soft luggage sport-tours just as well as the FJR. I *really* like the smooth light clutch, throttle, gear-box and engine. In fact the FJR feels rather "truck'ish" in comparison. Even with a bit more weight on them from the riding position, my hands/wrists actually suffer *less* on the ZX-14 with the very light clutch and throttle.

The FJR does have better foul weather protection with its fairing and adjustable windshield - but for me, only slightly so. The ZX-14 will blister the FJR at any speed and RPM - especially at speeds over 80-90mph. The FJR really shines when you are 2-up, especially if you need to carry some stuff for 2 people. The ZX-14 plain sucks 2-up and sucks worst if you need to carry stuff.

Rumor is that the ZX-14 will have ABS and traction control next year. If so, just add some nice soft-luggage and call it day. I would not buy a C14 over a ZX-14 for touring - you just lose too much and gain very little - IMHO.

UPDATE.....Riding the ZX tomorrow to look at a '09 FJR that was used as a Demo. From what they tell me it's in pristine condition.

I have a 2008 ZX-14 and a 2007 FJR. I do a good bit of sport-touring on the ZX-14. I have some soft luggage for it and whatnot. For me personally, when riding solo, the ZX-14 with nice soft luggage sport-tours just as well as the FJR. I *really* like the smooth light clutch, throttle, gear-box and engine. In fact the FJR feels rather "truck'ish" in comparison. Even with a bit more weight on them from the riding position, my hands/wrists actually suffer *less* on the ZX-14 with the very light clutch and throttle.

The FJR does have better foul weather protection with its fairing and adjustable windshield - but for me, only slightly so. The ZX-14 will blister the FJR at any speed and RPM - especially at speeds over 80-90mph. The FJR really shines when you are 2-up, especially if you need to carry some stuff for 2 people. The ZX-14 plain sucks 2-up and sucks worst if you need to carry stuff.

Rumor is that the ZX-14 will have ABS and traction control next year. If so, just add some nice soft-luggage and call it day. I would not buy a C14 over a ZX-14 for touring - you just lose too much and gain very little - IMHO.
I have an '08 FJR and an '09 ZX 14. I pretty much agree with all you said here. Except that I don't have soft bags on my ZX but I am thinking about it.

The connie 14 was definately an possibility but it has recall issues and (in Canada) a used option doesn't exist yet. a buddy bought one down in florida and had to take it back to the u.s. for service (won't honour the warranty here).

Latest posts