Without side bags.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pronomian

Reaction score
Put on garuald's rack and took the side bags off yesterday. Put on a small cooler type thing which is enough to hold my stuff, pressure gauge, bungies, misc stuff, etc. Made for easier cleaning, looks great, but the thing that I seemed to notice more was it seemed to handle better. I think it is just my imagination, but the bike seemed sportier, more nimble. I know the bags are light, but in my mind.........

Mike

You just shed 20 pounds off the back of the bike, of course it's going to feel a little more minble. :)

I only have my bags on about 25% of the time and yes, it looks good without them and handles a bit better.

One of the things I liked about the FJR was it looks great with or without the bags.

I'm...too sexy for my bags...too sexy for my bags...I'm far too sexy...

Lee-on-FJR-after-111806-ride-web500.jpg

by far. :coolsmiley02:

I'm...too sexy for my bags...too sexy for my bags...I'm far too sexy...

by far. :coolsmiley02:
You're too baggy for my sex...You're too baggy for my sex...You're too baggy for my sex... :p

Job hazard - Who built your fence? Don't they have standards out there? :p Thats Home Depot pre fab :assassin:

Last edited by a moderator:
im guessing it's mostly in your mind.....

if the FJR is say 650#... and the bags are say 25#....

you changed the mass by about 3.8461538461538461538461538461538% (approximiately).

I've been thinking of yanking the side bags and leaving the top box on. I use the top box all the time since it's much easier to access and my stuff won't fall out when I open it. I never use the side bags unless I'm going on a trip.

I've been thinking of yanking the side bags and leaving the top box on. I use the top box all the time since it's much easier to access and my stuff won't fall out when I open it. I never use the side bags unless I'm going on a trip.
I ride mine with bags on all the time, its incognito that way, dont have problems either and do it at triple digits when away from traffic out in the desert.

rogerfjrfaster :clapping: :D

The motorcycle version of forgetting to "zip up"...

Leaving the sidestand down when your bike's on the centerstand.

Oh, by the way Lee, Robbie Knievel called. He wants his pants back.

The motorcycle version of forgetting to "zip up"... Leaving the sidestand down when your bike's on the centerstand.
Leaving your fly open only matters when you're leaving the house, or opening the front door for pizza delivery...maybe not even then. That's a post-ride pic, ready to clean the bug juice off after a day-long ride. Flipping-up the side-stand before rolling forward off the center-stand is about as second nature to me as thumbing-off the turn signal after completing a turn. (We don't need no stinkin' self-canceling turn signals. Now factory cruise-control on a "super sport tourer"...that's another story.)

The motorcycle version of forgetting to "zip up"... Leaving the sidestand down when your bike's on the centerstand.
Leaving your fly open only matters when you're leaving the house, opening the front door for pizza delivery...
...or posting an ugly azz picture of yourself on the internet. :)
Now THAT is funny: dissing a fellow FJR rider for "posting an ugly azz picture on the internet" the same day YOU decide to replace your longtime, personal avatar photo of yourself sitting at a desk wearing a full coverage helmet while talking on the phone. Trust me, your new banging-head-on-desk graphic is much more pleasing to the eye.

Now, [insert mobster accent here] I don't mean that in a bad way... :D

Now THAT is funny: dissing a fellow FJR rider for "posting an ugly azz picture on the internet" the same day YOU decide to replace your longtime, personal avatar photo of yourself sitting at a desk wearing a full coverage helmet while talking on the phone. Trust me, your new banging-head-on-desk graphic is much more pleasing to the eye.

Now, [insert mobster accent here] I don't mean that in a bad way... :D

Everyone was so used to seeing RadioHowie's avatar, then ignoring his post and scrolling down to the next one. Maybe he thought the change of avatar would help?

I weighed the bags at about 24 lbs each (empty) !
that 48 lbs really does make a differance
ok. 48# of say the #650 wet weight + 150 rider.... that'd be...

48 / 800 = 0.06, or approximately a 6% change in mass that is situated below the CG... hmmm....

i still think it's all in your head! :p

24 pounds?? I hope that was fully loaded with traveling incidentals. :confused: I weighed mine at about 10-11 pounds empty.

I don't think the weight of the bags is below CG, I"m pretty sure they are above it but then what do I know? :p : That and it's weighted clear on the back of the sub frame helping it to leverage the rear a bit.

I don't know if you will notice a difference, but I can notice a difference on and off. Not a huge one mind you, but there is one.

i still think it's all in your head!
There is no doubt that an experienced rider would notice the difference. I have ridden the FJR without the bags and I can feel the difference without a problem. If you can't feel the difference your probably just not riding that hard.

I have driven on the track many times with both bike and car. I have driven back to back in a car with and without a passenger and the difference was huge. It was roughly a 5% weight difference and the car cornered substantially better without the passenger.