Wix Oil Filters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
It was mentioned on this forum that the WIX filter that was supposed to be for the FJR is the 51356 and there has been discussion that it will not seal properly due to the fact that the threads bottom out before the gasket makes sufficient contact. I just checked applications on the WIX website and they list a 57356 part number. Has anyone tried this one?

Purolator pure one at Advanced Auto for about $6.00 and a can of spray paint to match your bike. One of the if not the best filter on the market.

Purolator pure one at Advanced Auto for about $6.00 and a can of spray paint to match your bike. One of the if not the best filter on the market.
Can't seem to get the PureOne filters around here. Not even sure whether they are sold in Canada. Just trying to find an alternative to Yamaha and Fram. Even Walmarts in Canada only carry Fram.

Can't seem to get the PureOne filters around here. Not even sure whether they are sold in Canada. Just trying to find an alternative to Yamaha and Fram. Even Walmarts in Canada only carry Fram.

Not sure why this made it to NEPRT so quickly; I considered it to be a reasonable question. (And yes, I did look!)

It has been reported that there are problems with WIX filters but the reference cited in the forum has been 51356. I am asking about the fact that the WIX website gives the 57356 as the one for the FJR. Around here, I have the choice of buying Yamaha, Fram crap, Napa or WIX. The Napa Gold has also been cited as being a poor fit (made by WIX).

Just trying to find an alternative. Can't get the Super-Tech, Bosch, or PureOne where I live.

do what I do and order 6 from a mail order Yammy parts supplier...and don't forget crush washers - order a dozen of those

they fit both the crankcase and rear drive drain plugs.

in Bin O Facts and Vendor section are suggestions for suppliers :clapping:

I also ordered an assortment of small parts...since I have them on hand, I will never lose any more of them :yahoo:

I never tried the WIX, but if you are looking for alternatives here is a cross-reference that might help. I prefer the 3.25 inch ones just because 'bigger is better'.

They list:

Recommended filters.

All have superior

filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.

Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.

Mobil M1-108, about $12.

Made by Champion.

Bosch 3300, about $6.

Made by Champion.

Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607

Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.

Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.

Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.

Made by Champion.

Bosch 3323, about $6.

Made By Champion.

WalMart SuperTech ST7317,

about $2. Made by Champion.

I never tried the WIX, but if you are looking for alternatives here is a cross-reference that might help. I prefer the 3.25 inch ones just because 'bigger is better'.
They list:

Recommended filters.

All have superior

filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.

Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.

Mobil M1-108, about $12.

Made by Champion.

Bosch 3300, about $6.

Made by Champion.

Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607

Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.

Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.

Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.

Made by Champion.

Bosch 3323, about $6.

Made By Champion.

WalMart SuperTech ST7317,

about $2. Made by Champion.

Just trying to find an alternative. Can't get the Super-Tech, Bosch, or PureOne where I live.

I would stay away from Wix, tried them some time ago on our truck fleet. Big problems with them not sealing and leaking.

I would stay away from Wix, tried them some time ago on our truck fleet. Big problems with them not sealing and leaking.

I used the Wix filters on my Yamaha Venture and also on a Roadstar. Never had any issues with them and they are reputed to be a quality filter - definately a cut above Fram. (Not disputing your bad experience on another vehicle)

I'm just trying to find out whether anyone has tried the #57356 as per the Wix website lookup. The one referred to where the gasket wouldn't seal to the case was the #51356. If I can't find out for sure, I guess I'll either have to mail order some filters or go with the Yammie. Maybe I'll pick up a half-dozen PureOne or Mobil-1 filters next trip into the USA.

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon will not ship to Canada. :( I usually pick up a couple of the purolator filter's whenever I am in the US. It's only a short drive for you, take a scoot down to Maine and pick up a few :)

If you are just looking for an alternative to Yamaha, there are lots of auto that use the same filter, just check the Bin of facts for a list.

Amazon will not ship to Canada. :( I usually pick up a couple of the purolator filter's whenever I am in the US. It's only a short drive for you, take a scoot down to Maine and pick up a few :)
If you are just looking for an alternative to Yamaha, there are lots of auto that use the same filter, just check the Bin of facts for a list.
I checked out the Bin of Facts and most of the filter brands are not available - at least not in Fredericton. I suspect Halifax is a better bet. I'm only a little over an hour from Houlton Maine and I do at least a couple of trips per year into NH and VT so I could likely manage to pick some up the next time I'm there. Never had any issues with the WIX on other bikes but rather than have to quit in mid-oil-change, I'll just buy a Yamaha filter for this change which is due before I do much more riding.

Ross

Man, that "gold" color would be ugly on a black cherry 2007!!Ross
it looks great with blue...surely it's killer looking with maroon... :yahoo:

IMG_0133.jpg

What does he care? That ain't his bike!

You can tell because of the empty space between the tank bag and the windshield. (besides being the wrong color)

WalMart SuperTech ST7317,about $2. Made by Champion.
As of 2009, this is no longer made by Champion, now made in Mexico by an unknown (to me) company.

In the Champion made Walmart filter you could look down the guts of and see a coil spring that held the high pressure relief valve.

The current filter, reportedly made in Mexico, has no spring visible when inspected, but still has a relief valve apparently - with spring on other side(?).