WNY Tech Day III, Saturday June 4, 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may do some electrical stuff too, some re wiring... I am bringing heat gun, solder tool, shrinking tube and the likes!What time do you expect people there? For me it would be a 3.5-4h ride...

Luis
Ray (and maybe Billy?) will be there Friday night, so we can start after coffee on Saturday (I think last year we were ripping and tearing by 9am?). But if you don't want to rise at oh-dark thirty, we'll be working into the afternoon. Or come in Friday night. We'll have floor space and maybe even a tent in the back yard. I know a couple of folks said they were camping it in the yard. I've got three sofas as well.

Deb and I have the sewing room w air mattress... or... is it the cat room?
smile.png
It is actually both. But mostly just the potty, as far as the cats are concerned...
pinch.gif

Don't know why I kicked the can down the road on this but I just ordered some speed bleeders to install. Since the brake and clutch flush is happening it looked like a minimal addition to the job.

It's also time to indoctrinate my oldest son to this fun so he will be attending. As far as topics that are off limits, I can't think of any at the moment. He rides the bus everyday to school and if it's anything like when I rode the bus I'll be surprised if any new topics come up. :) Besides, I don't think this crew can inflict any more damage than I've already done.
grin.gif

See all of you Saturday morning!!

Don't know why I kicked the can down the road on this but I just ordered some speed bleeders to install. Since the brake and clutch flush is happening it looked like a minimal addition to the job.
It's also time to indoctrinate my oldest son to this fun so he will be attending. As far as topics that are off limits, I can't think of any at the moment. He rides the bus everyday to school and if it's anything like when I rode the bus I'll be surprised if any new topics come up.
smile.png
Besides, I don't think this crew can inflict any more damage than I've already done.
grin.gif

See all of you Saturday morning!!
Why Dean, why do you think he would hear anything rude and crude from this group? We are all perfect angels, don't you know?
angel.gif

See you Saturday!!

Mike, weather looks iffy Sat night/Sun morning for camping.

Mind if we camp indoors?

I promise no campfires in the house.

I won't make anyone sleep in the rain. Might have to find some floor space or play rock-paper-scissors for the couches...

And if you really still want a campfire, we've got a wood-burning fireplace. We can make s'mores!

Sorry, I'm gonna miss this one.

See you all at the next one. Or at NAFO, if you're going...

Sorry for the eleventh hour bail but I'm afraid I'm not going to

make it either. I'm fighting something and don't feel I'm up to

the return trip on Sunday. I simply can't take a chance this

might get worse and cause me to miss work right now.

I'm really bummed. Been looking forward to this for a year.

Hopefully, I'll see most of you at EOM.

Please ride safe.

I'm still in! Plan on leaving by 7 tomorrow morning and be there by 11.00 or so.... bike all loaded and ready to go!

Sorry to miss those who can't make it, but no worries. I know that Sunday's weather may make for a wet ride home as well for those staying Saturday night. We will carry on and hoist a beverage to those who can't make it, and we will see you at either CFR next weekend or at EOM in September!

The shenanigans have started even before the event even starts...... so as I get to the border at 10:30-ish, and I put in a last minute call to our host to make sure we're all set, and guess what.... "Ï'd like to do a valve check but I don't have any gaskets or shim kit"..... to which I replied, "It wasn't on the list, but IF you REALLY want to do that, it's only an hour to go back home and get the stuff and I'll just be a little later". Our host lays on the thank you's and well, what can I say, I had to go home and get the stuff.

I finally get here at 3:30, the AE is half torn down in preparation and we get the job all done and buttoned up. I did happen to leave my spare O-rings at home, so that was a minor inconvenience to go get some. As it turns out, all the valves are pretty much nominal and no shimming was needed. The beer was cold, dinner was great, all is good.

The shenanigans have started even before the event even starts...... so as I get to the border at 10:30-ish, and I put in a last minute call to our host to make sure we're all set, and guess what.... "Ï'd like to do a valve check but I don't have any gaskets or shim kit"..... to which I replied, "It wasn't on the list, but IF you REALLY want to do that, it's only an hour to go back home and get the stuff and I'll just be a little later". Our host lays on the thank you's and well, what can I say, I had to go home and get the stuff.I finally get here at 3:30, the AE is half torn down in preparation and we get the job all done and buttoned up. I did happen to leave my spare O-rings at home, so that was a minor inconvenience to go get some. As it turns out, all the valves are pretty much nominal and no shimming was needed. The beer was cold, dinner was great, all is good.
Paul Harvey would say "And now for the REST of the story..."

Seems our intrepid traveler reached the border only to find he left his passport/nexus card back home on his bike. He calls as he turns around to head home and THAT's when I mentioned that I am due for a valve check but haven't procured the necessary parts. Of course, Ray's got everything needed just sitting there at home (well, everything except one lousy o-ring), and he insists on grabbing it and doing the check on my bike this afternoon once he arrives. Couldn't talk him out of it. Of course, I missed the actual clearance checks while running to the auto parts store to find an o-ring, but Laura took notes and she can probably do one herself next time. Heck, Ray even removed the PAIR system from the FJR and put in some 'custom' plugs in its place. Not as fancy as Dave's (WynnPro), but they seem to work. Bike is all buttoned up and running fine. I think it was only a three-beer job!

Anyway, we're ready for the riffraff to arrive in the morning and the games will begin!!

Had an AWESOME day at Mike and Laura's! Headed home with the rain on my tail. Great to see old friends and meet new ones. RayZerman Ray, you are a freak of nature in the most amazing way. I always learn soooo much from you every time we have these events, even if I'm just standing and pointing with a beverage in my hand. Mike and Laura, you are incredible hosts! Thank you so much for feeding us and putting up with our bad comedy! Full House John, thanks for bringing the pulled pork - it was VERY tasty! Wishing everyone safe travels, whether it be tonight or Sunday. See you all at CFR!

Last edited by a moderator: