WNY Tech Day III, Saturday June 4, 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it or not, I'm out for the tech day. I have 2 daughter's with babies. One daughter already had hers and has the christening planned for Memorial Day weekend, so I'm also out for Wellsboro. The second daughter is having her baby next Monday and the christening is planned for June 4th. Two of my favorite get togethers are are now shot. Family first sometimes ruins riding plans. I'll be at SEOR for sure. I'll see many of you there. Somebody have a beer for me while I'm home daydreaming of being in Mike and Laura's garage.
Jeff, family definitely comes first. Congratulations Grandpa! No worries, we'll have a beer in your honor. But, seriously, how often do you find yourself daydreaming about being in my garage? Might be construed as kinda creepy...
unsure.png

I'd love to hit a tech day. Never been able to before, and this time is no different, too many other commitments. Hope you all have a great day.

I'd love to hit a tech day. Never been able to before, and this time is no different, too many other commitments. Hope you all have a great day.
Sorry to hear that Baloo, but I can relate. Hopefully we'll do another one next year, or someone else will have one that fits your schedule. Even if you have no actual work to do on the bike, they are a hoot just to hang around and 'supervise'!

WNY Tech Day III is just a week away!!

I know I sent location info to a few folks, but if there is anyone attending that needs it, PM me and I will fix you up. Ray compiled a list of tasks:

FJR Pittsburgh - Valve check (coolant) and watching the Pens in the Stanley Cup finals..... family commitments

Pista - CCT done in Owosso

Full House - fork oil and springs

deang - Clutch and brake fluid flush, TBS

TopSpeed1 - centerstand touch-up at the Beemer parking down the street.

Luis - Sag measurements

If there's anything else anyone needs to have done, let us know so we can be sure to have the proper tools on hand. Ray, don't forget that special tool you use to disassemble forks, as we will not have access to the collision shop this time around.
mda.gif

Laura was working on the menu earlier this evening. We shouldn't go hungry...

Mike

Sure looks like a great time. I'll miss you all this time around. Please post lots of pics so I can pretend that I attended. Have a great time and play nice.

Definitely want to make it there this year. I would like to service the front forks. My FJR only has about 14,000 miles, but will get bushings as well as seals and 2 liters of 5wt fork oil. If not too much of an imposition, I would like to stay overnight, if no room, a close by motel? Besides beer, is there anything else I can bring? I may bring some smoked pulled pork if that would be welcome?Looking forward to participating!
OK gang, smoked the pork for 14 1/2 hours Sunday, pulled, vacuum packed and in the freezer. See you next weekend!

Since it looks like it will be a fairly light tech day, I may do some electrical stuff.

My LR4s go on and off at random. Best guess is a loose connection or two. Perhaps a faulty dimmer switch.

I'd also like to run some 12v/USB power from a fuse block under the seat to inside my Smuggler.

See you Saturday!

FJR Pittsburgh - Valve check (coolant) - watching the Pens in the Stanley Cup finals and family commitmentsPista - CCT done in Owosso - Playing sparky and trying to let the smoke out

Full House - fork oil and springs

deang - Clutch and brake fluid flush, TBS

TopSpeed1 - centerstand touch-up at the Beemer parking down the street.

Luis - Sag measurements
List revised. Air tool, etc. coming. We do have to turn the game on Saturday.....

Last edited by a moderator:
What time do you think you'll be ready for the circus to show up Saturday? I'm truly undecided on conveyance. Mel is not going to be able to make it. And her Buell needs a new head gasket. (Imagine my shock, when after about 5 miles on this thing, it starts puking oil all over.) I might ride the FJR down, and just point and laugh at you guys. Or, I might throw the Buell in the back of the truck and bring it down to be pointed and laughed at. I don't necessarily need help with it (Service manual and gaskets are currently en route) but I've never done a head gasket, and I believe it would be entertaining for the rest of you folk. And I definitely do not want to miss the clutch service and TBS on Dean's bike.

Hey Jon. I hope you can make it down with the Buell. I had one for a short period of time, never did any work on it however would like to watch/help with your project.

Jon, the head gasket job might be simple, might not. Need to read the manual to be sure. Valve check in order with that too, easy enough. Are you sure it's not just a valve cover gasket? That would make it a piece of cake. Since it is a lighter workload day, we can likely do it...... I'll be there Friday, so come on down early Saturday if you like.

Jon, the head gasket job might be simple, might not. Need to read the manual to be sure. Valve check in order with that too, easy enough. Are you sure it's not just a valve cover gasket? That would make it a piece of cake. Since it is a lighter workload day, we can likely do it...... I'll be there Friday, so come on down early Saturday if you like.
Ray has a big screwdriver he can pry shit open with too!

I've got the perfect hammer for the job as well. We can take care of it for you Jon!

We'll be set up and ready to go Friday afternoon, so we can start early on Saturday...well, not TOO early...after the Canadian Invasion Forces have their morning Timmy's!

Definitely want to make it there this year. I would like to service the front forks. My FJR only has about 14,000 miles, but will get bushings as well as seals and 2 liters of 5wt fork oil. If not too much of an imposition, I would like to stay overnight, if no room, a close by motel? Besides beer, is there anything else I can bring? I may bring some smoked pulled pork if that would be welcome?Looking forward to participating!
OK gang, smoked the pork for 14 1/2 hours Sunday, pulled, vacuum packed and in the freezer. See you next weekend!
I forgot about this! Yee Haw!!
hyper.gif

We can pop the lid off that Buell easy with that....... trouble is, that screwdriver is way on the other side of Torontarded and if it ever makes it into Billy's garage, it's gone for good.

Well then, it is settled. If all of my parts arrive in time, I'll bring the Buell down. You guys are the best.

Come on Bob he already thanked you for it :)

Just blew in from N.Carolina. It was quite steamy down there, only rained Sat nite and into Sun AM. Mondays ride home was clean, well all but a brief shower in Williamsport PA.

Deb and I are still planning on WNY Tech Day III

I may do some electrical stuff too, some re wiring... I am bringing heat gun, solder tool, shrinking tube and the likes!

What time do you expect people there? For me it would be a 3.5-4h ride...

Luis