Wonders never cease! New wheels in my future?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
I may have to pinch myself. Besides enjoying that kind of stuff, I need to see if I'm dreaming... ;)

See, this morning, while indulging in some mindless car shopping online (I'm always looking, though rarely buying.) I happened to say out loud...:Oh, my. I may have found the replacement for the BMW!". We have a 2003 BMW Z4 with about 46,000 miles on it now. have had it almost 7 years now - great car.

I like it exactly as it is - automatic, big 3 litre straight six engine, 100% stock. Awesome car, fun to drive, if a smidge tiring for longer runs. But, it's a roadster, not a GT, so long distance rides are better taken in our truck.

...and so naturally, I'm always eyeballing something sportier, with a manual, more power, you know - the usual.

Having recently driven a Z4M Coupe, I was impressed with the actual ride quality. Every reviewer says they are rubbish, too firm, rides like a truck and so on. Turns out, every single one of them is wrong and is, therefore, and obviously, an idiot. I liked the ride quality, it rode exactly as I'd expect, the handling was epic, the 330+ hp tossing the car around however you liked. :)

If it's not obvious where this is going, I'll spell it out: it was a 2005 M Roadster that I saw this morning. it was that same car upon which my ever-loving, ever-patient wife inquired the price of. The same 14,000 mile, bright red, only-comes-with-a-six-speed-manual, chrome rimmed beauty that she suggested might be a nice upgrade from our current Z4! Momentarily flummoxed, I gathered myself and started doing the math...old Z4, KTM, negotiate on price and wham! A few grand out of pocket, a call to State Farm and we'd be set! Sure, I'd be down a bike (which is rarely ridden today), but I'd be up one glorious M Roadster!

But...alas...time is my enemy. As fun as this would be to indulge in, the move must take precedence.

Plus, I need time to test drive a few older Porsche 911s and a few Boxster S's... ;)

It's nice to start the week off with a fresh dream... :)

Good luck with the BMW. Our 2011 328i was wonderful up to 48,000 miles. Then it became an epic POS. I fought it and fought and spent money and spent money until it had 68,000 miles on it. The salesman told us to lease, everyone leases BMW because they stay in warranty. Friends that were in the business said to lease so it will always be in warranty.

What really chapped me was that EVERY time I went to the service department they knew what was wrong before the mechanic looked at it because they ALL do it!

My wife now drives an Infiniti Q50. That 3.7 liter V6 has 98 more horsepower than the 3.0 inline 6 of the BMW, the transmission shifts better, smoother, and more predictably. While nothing drives like a BMW...Nothing will drive you crazy like a BMW.

To see the difference, just visit the service department. BMW service department is always busy, cars everywhere. Infiniti and Lexus are like a ghost town or a library.

YMMV

"While nothing drives like a BMW...Nothing will drive you crazy like a BMW."

I can't say that from personal experience, but substitute Volkwagen in there and now we're talking. Like you said, those Germans do know how to engineer a great driving car.

YMMV

I had a Z4 3.0si. Someone was desperate to get out of his lease so i got it for a pretty nice deal and drove it 22 months. Fun car, yes I was able to hit the 155 limiter in it, which impressed me. My dad has an E46 M3 with that 333hp i-6 motor in the Z4M you drove. Damn that M3 is quite a beast. I entertained the neighbors one day in the cul-de-sac when he brought it over on the way to get new tires, and told me to do my worst but don't hit a curb. That car will do asphalt donuts like it's on snow. My wife now has an Infiniti with the 3.7 nissan, and while nice it's like a stout street motor vs the M3's race motor. No comparison in how they feel really..... Oh yeah and that M3 slams into the 155 limiter in 5th and it doesn't take much road to get there.

All that, and then................................................................................NOTHING? You gotta learn how to tell a story man!!

You found an M roadster with only 14k miles that your wife approves and you didn't jump on it?

Sigh....

Nothing like that S54 inline six. Last of the normally aspirated BMW sixes. Sure love that motor.

The newer BMWs are chock full of tech, turbos, and tweaks. I prefer the simple ones, like my old Z3 coupe. Near trouble free for 90k miles.

I wouldn't say no to an E46 M3 either, or even a late model 335d. 400 lbft of torque and 38-40 hwy mpg

BUY IT NOW!

CARPE DIEM!

TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE!

(said as it helps me with the ktm deal!)
angel.gif

I like my little Veloster Turbo...

...fun little car, and it fits in the garage with my bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you find some fun and enjoyment with that new toy....

After owning a service shop for so many years the passion, lust, appreciation for most high end European vehicles is almost all but gone.... most are just so high maintenance, and their designs albeit closer to the cutting edge are not always well planned out for durability, which is a shame. The auto companies just keep on churning out new stuff to keep their emblem viable, not forethought in sustainability.

I wish you luck with the new toy !!!!

I started looking for a slightly used car a few months ago. I had this nagging feeling my 8 year old car was going to start costing me a whole bunch of money so it was time to get rid of it before it died on me. I wanted another VW GTI but I was also looking at the Turbo Veloster and the Scion FR-S. It didn't matter where the car was if the price and the mileage were right - I'd just drive wherever, trade in the old one and bring home the new one.

Then Toyota dumped the Scion line and that made me have second thoughts but there are a few nice ones out there. I found a GTI in NJ so I went to look at it 2 weeks ago - the sales guy was nice but the money guys were complete a-holes. Needless to say, they failed to get me the payment I wanted - which was OK because after driving the GTI, I was underwhelmed - it just didn't feel the same as the one I had years ago.

Then the sales guy says he's gonna check their inventory to see what else they might have... it had to be red, 2 doors, manual transmission. He finds a 2013 Mini Cooper Coupe with less than 2000 miles on it for $1500 less than the GTI... I brought it home.

I started looking for a slightly used car a few months ago. I had this nagging feeling my 8 year old car was going to start costing me a whole bunch of money so it was time to get rid of it before it died on me. I wanted another VW GTI but I was also looking at the Turbo Veloster and the Scion FR-S. It didn't matter where the car was if the price and the mileage were right - I'd just drive wherever, trade in the old one and bring home the new one.
Then Toyota dumped the Scion line and that made me have second thoughts but there are a few nice ones out there. I found a GTI in NJ so I went to look at it 2 weeks ago - the sales guy was nice but the money guys were complete a-holes. Needless to say, they failed to get me the payment I wanted - which was OK because after driving the GTI, I was underwhelmed - it just didn't feel like same as the one I had years ago.

Then the sales guy says he's gonna check their inventory to see what else they might have... it had to be red, 2 doors, manual transmission. He finds a 2013 Mini Cooper Coupe with less than 2000 miles on it for $1500 less than the GTI... I brought it home.
Good luck with the Mini, Lisa...I also was looking at them, but decided on the VT, and after 2 years (19k miles) I'm very happy with it.

You found an M roadster with only 14k miles that your wife approves and you didn't jump on it?
Sigh....

Nothing like that S54 inline six. Last of the normally aspirated BMW sixes. Sure love that motor.

The newer BMWs are chock full of tech, turbos, and tweaks. I prefer the simple ones, like my old Z3 coupe. Near trouble free for 90k miles.

I wouldn't say no to an E46 M3 either, or even a late model 335d. 400 lbft of torque and 38-40 hwy mpg
Relax you old hens...LOL

This is months away, so plenty of time to research, ride and ruminate.

Crazy, this next bit, i realize, but I may even wait until AFTER we buy a house next year to pull any triggers... ;) The 2016/2017 Camaro is starting to look mighty tasty with that 1LE package. :)

AuburnFJR just scored a 2015 Mini S. I had one of the supercharged Mini Cooper S models when they first landed in 2002. Loved that car - it handled like a go-kart and the sound of that supercharger whine was cool. Owned it three years, sold it for $500 less than I paid for it with over 34k miles. I kinda like the wagon version with the double rear doors.

Daily driver is a Japanese car - it takes fluids, gas, and brakes and that's about it. Yes, Warpdrv, the European cars are less reliable. But man are they fun - once you drive a BMW or Porsche, it's hard to go back. Plus, they lose like 50-60% or more over 5 years. A pal is selling his mint 2002 911 Turbo, with 55k miles, for $40k. That was originally a $120k car. Yes, you have to drop the engine to replace the spark plugs and yes, service costs will kill you. But the 911 is pretty reliable from what my friends tell me.

My solution is to have a "weekend car" that I don't have to rack up miles. Would love that car to be an early 911 but the prices have climbed to just ridiculous.