Won't Start....In Gear That Is

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbvolfan

Reaction score
Go to start her up and nothing, nada. It's in gear, clutch is in, kickstand up and nothing. Put it in N and it will fire on up. Doesnt matter if the kickstand is up or down.

I took apart the sidestand switch and cleaned it. Looked fine inside and it still does it. Doesnt appear to have anything to do with the kill switch.

Any suggestions? This has happend before but it was only maybe once a month but now it is a daily occurance and the only way to fire it up is to put it in N.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it won't start up in gear with clutch engaged. Disengage the clutch and it fires. I also know that if the sidestand is down it will NOT start in gear period (center stand is OK). Or if in N and you drop into gear with the sidestand down it dies.

I may be talking out of place here... But..... Sounds more like the neutral switch or clutch lever switch is an issue Vs the sidestand, etc.

Good luck, let us know what was the problem.

My guess is that it's the clutch lever switch. The same thing happend to my FJR once. Took off the switch, took it apart and cleaned it and all was good after that.

My guess is that it's the clutch lever switch. The same thing happend to my FJR once. Took off the switch, took it apart and cleaned it and all was good after that.
"Took it off"

Oh that's Rich!! :rofl: Ya make it sound so proper.... So innocent.

Tell the truth Cap'n Crunch. The fuker was defective an ya just waited till yer next unscheduled get off..... To trash the shit outa it. Then you fixed it.

Cheap ass

:jester:

Both my 2005 & 2007 will start in gear with the side stand up, clutch lever in. I do it a lot of times cold to break the clutch plates lose. I would agree on the cluch lever switch.

Yeah, if it were the sidestand switch I would have expected it to die when I go from N>1st but it doesnt.

I do hear a very clear and loud clicking noise when I am in "N" and pulling the clutch in and out. The noise sounds like it is coming from under the seat area. Put it in gear and no more clicking.

Thanks for the input. I just managed to get the little one down and start browsing through my trusty service manaul to learn that the clicking I hear below the seat is the Starter Circuit Cut Off Relay and that it could be culprit in addition to the Cltch Sensor. Both are on the list of possible causes listed in the book for this kinda stuff.

Most often it's the side stand switch that acts up on bikes when I've read about such doings. Sometimes people have chosen to bypass the switch to see if that's the problem, then left it bypassed if it is. I'm not recommending that someone bypass a safety feature but some have done it.

But it seems you've ruled that out already.

Mine was the sidestand switch and it IS bypassed

On my cruiser, had 2 different problems; clutch switch which Radio Shack contact cleaner was needed & worked, and side stand switch with same remedy, but also loosened up on the mounting and got out of alignment so the plunger wasn't being pushed properly by the tang on the side stand

Hope this helps and keep us abreast (so to speak),

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Well, now it wont even start.

I took apart the sidestand switch off and cleaned it but it looked fine. Put back togather and it cranks over but sounds funny and wont start. Battery is fine but I am stumped so I guess I'll run it to the dealer Monday because I've spent enough time on it. Uggghhhh.

Well, now it wont even start.I took apart the sidestand switch off and cleaned it but it looked fine. Put back togather and it cranks over but sounds funny and wont start. Battery is fine but I am stumped so I guess I'll run it to the dealer Monday because I've spent enough time on it. Uggghhhh.
Oh my, I'm thinking positive thoughts. This can be a segway into places we don't want to go.

Well, now it wont even start.I took apart the sidestand switch off and cleaned it but it looked fine. Put back togather and it cranks over but sounds funny and wont start. Battery is fine but I am stumped so I guess I'll run it to the dealer Monday because I've spent enough time on it. Uggghhhh.
Oh my, I'm thinking positive thoughts. This can be a segway into places we don't want to go.
Goodness gracious, I hope not. It ran fine the other night. In fact after I reassembled the sidestand switch, I tested it and it fired right up. Of course it had to be in N to do so but I shut it down, went out to go to work later on and now this.

I just went out and recorded this short clip of what it sounds like when I try to start it. It just doesnt sound quite right to me but I dont hear anything meachanically smashing togather or anything.

It ran fine the other night. In fact after I reassembled the sidestand switch, I tested it and it fired right up. Of course it had to be in N to do so but I shut it down, went out to go to work later on and now this.
It just doesnt sound quite right to me but I dont hear anything meachanically smashing togather or anything.
IF you merely started it and then shut it off, you may have identified the problem.

Solution: Start it like it's flooded!

Reason: If you don't let the engine run through the warm up cycle the ECU will continue to pour fuel into the cylinders. IOW, it doesn't reset but stores "run cold" in the memory.

It has happened to others (Radman and myself, for two). Hold the throttle wide open and try and start the bike. My guess and hope is that the engine will fire, then stumble as it works through its "over-rich" condition.

Sounds like ya might be onto something there Mike. :blink:

I've had the same thing happen to me. WFO the throttle and give 'er another go round..

:jester:

Yes, I did just start it up and immidiately turn it off. In fact, there were a couple of times I simply turned it over just to see if the sidestand switch was working/not working. I smelled some gas like it was flooded so I let it sit overnight.

Today, I took it out and tried giving it some throttle/gas as I cranked it but it didnt work. Now I didnt go WFO so I'll try that in the AM to see if I have more sucess.

Thanks again!