Would you buy again the AS ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Would you buy the AS/AE again?" In a heart beat. Just for the record, I have 4100 miles on it.

If the concern is slow speed manuevers, the AE is quite impressive. You can feel the clutch automatically "letting out" as you slowly throttle your way around and you don't need your foot on the brake pedal. I have good balance, for the most part, and have NO trouble doing slow u-turns or stop-and-go traffic where you're slowly approching vehicles while maintaining balance (knock on wood - now watch me lay it over ;) ).

If the concern is shifting while cornering in the twisties, the AE paddle shifting is very convenient and spoiling. A different gear is just a flicker away. I used the pedal shifter the first day just to try and have yet to use it again.

If the concern is farkles, most farkles are of low wattages. I have the Nautilus compact horns, Autocom, radar detector, Scorpio alarm system, battery tender and extra powerlet under the seat installed with the Blue Sea fuse block. I have yet to install the Motolights, Smart tire and gps but they shouldn't be a problem. The Motolights maybe, not sure on their wattage requirements.

Launches from a dead stop, shifting through the gears will make you smile :D and with the pillion holding on, opening it up in 2nd gear (while obeying the legal speed limits :rolleyes: ) will make her smile. :D

gitterdan :beach:

It just an observation here but why do so many of you have a negative opinion of the AE without ever riding one? I just don't think the people who have never ridden on can be objective. Now if your opinion is of the nature I don't think I would not like having a clutch lever, I can understand that.

It just an observation here but why do so many of you have a negative opinion of the AE without ever riding one? I just don't think the people who have never ridden on can be objective. Now if your opinion is of the nature I don't think I would not like having a clutch lever, I can understand that.
I have noticed this too. Many people that have never ridden, or only test rode the AE are making very strong comments. Of course, we'll all have an opinion, but...

Nulac,

Welcome to our forum. It's nice to have another Portuguese member! Check out this website:

Pierre in the Azores

Pierre is a very experienced and knowledgeable rider. His 06 AE is his third FJR. He also speaks Portuguese so you may find the conversation a bit better flowing.

I have personally put only 100 miles on an AE model. Would I buy one? Yes. In fact, I wish I had one right now! I injured my wrist mildly, and having an AE would make my rides less painful :) That said, I am so happy with my '05 that I will probably keep it for many years.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the magazine guys perform their 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile tests how do they launch an AE?
If you've selected 1st gear you can't rev the engine for take-off, otherwise the AE would start moving. So it would seem you must launch from an engine idling condition.
Simple solution, hold the front brakes, open the throttle to what rpms you want to launch, then to launch simply release the front brake. Works like a champ. Same as drag racing with an automatic transmission auto.

I believe the biggest obstacle to wide acceptance to the AE lies in the situation that most people are afraid of accepting change.

I have an AE and I enjoy riding it, it is merely a different way of shifting the gears to me. I also have an 05 non-ABS and I love the bike and have done several IB certified INSANITY rides on it.

If I could only have one FJR 1300, I would take the A over the AE. Thats not to say the AE is not a great bike for a VINTAGE rider like me, but to say I personally like the control of the bike offered by the manual clutch. Finally, I believe more and more bikes will have the paddle shifter clutch system.

Buy the AE again in a heartbeat. I was hesitant pulling into traffic for the first time as I launched from the dealers into two busy lanes, but that lasted just one light. What I like most about the AE is it greatly eases the strain on my arthritic left hand. My thumbs are both arthritic, so I opted to use only my index finger on the forward paddle for shifting, pull for up, push for down, simple as hell, and now seems natural after more than 5000 kms. I have not experienced any problems with slow, tight turns. However, that being said, it no doubt helped that I had 44,000 kms on an 04ABS prior to opting for the AE.

I note with interest how the flicker riders all recomend this as easy.

I've been riding with an electronic gear shifter 5 years now called a Kliktronic and I'm pretty used to changing with my thumb, so I'm pretty interested to hear how well the automatic clutch works out.

Pretty much decided that I'll be buying one in 07.

Question: what are the different flicker models and what's the difference? is it A, AE. AS?

Thanks to all for being so clear giving the opinion about the 06 FJR AE

I had before a 05 FJR A and since July I have a AS/AE and I love it. I really do ! It’s great.

I came with this topic just because, after a business trip in NY, I was coming back to Europe reading in the plain the November MOTORCYCLIST and was very surprised with the bad comments such:

“ a good motorcycle afflicted with a bad transmission.”

“for anyone who knows how to wield a clutch, this clutchless version makes smooth forward progress harder than it need to be”

“…why would you want to pay am extra $1800 over the price …for a “convenience feature” that’s anything but?”

“in the end, technology should solve more problems than it creates but Yamaha’s digital clutch…..inflicts the opposite on a otherwise excellent package”

“….and it’s a shame, because most of this motorcycle is very, very good”

Maybe the guy that wrote the article should join this forum and learn how wrong he is….

Question: what are the different flicker models and what's the difference? is it A, AE. AS?
FJR1300 -- standard model NO ABS

FJR1300A -- with ABS

FJR1300AE -- US model with the YCCS (Yamaha Chip Controlled Clutch) -- paddle shift

FJR1300AS -- EU model with the YCCS

FJR1300 -- standard model NO ABS

FJR1300A -- with ABS

FJR1300AE -- US model with the YCCS (Yamaha Chip Controlled Clutch) -- paddle shift

FJR1300AS -- EU model with the YCCS
Thanks Rick.

I've only been researching the AS as I'm in France so wasn't sure if I shouldn't be checking other designations.

We get them in the Blue, Gold and silver here, but they only offer the blue officialy for the UK market.

I've only been researching the AS as I'm in France so wasn't sure if I shouldn't be checking other designations.
We get them in the Blue, Gold and silver here, but they only offer the blue officially for the UK market.
In the UK, the AS is available in silver. When I went to order mine, I thought they were only available in blue as that's what the UK Yamaha web site said, but the dealer's list showed blue and silver, I now have a silver AS. So, if you prefer silver, check with your UK dealer.

I had the use of an AE model for one month before I purchased an FJR, but I ended up buying a clutch model.

The AE is "different" but to me, it wasn't as nice as the clutch model to ride in the hills where I do 90% of my riding.

It was okay on the open road but when you are touring in top gear with minimal gear changes, not much benefit in electric shift.

We get them in the Blue, Gold and silver here, but they only offer the blue officially for the UK market.
In the UK, the AS is available in silver. When I went to order mine, I thought they were only available in blue as that's what the UK Yamaha web site said, but the dealer's list showed blue and silver, I now have a silver AS. So, if you prefer silver, check with your UK dealer.
A UK Dealer told me the AS is flying off the shelves in the UK when I contacted them looking for the best cash price, so no discount offered.

If it's selling that well then it may be there was a shortfall for the UK demand and Yam had to turn over some other colours over to UK dealers.

Good thing too. The UK will probably get the full colour range if the demand is there.

I really like my AE and would get another again. I've used both the handlebar shifter and the foot shifter and for now prefer the foot shifter but I think that's only because I'm so used to using it. I have to think about shifting less with the foot shifter. Just snap it and go!

One measure of how well current owners like their AEs is this: How many used AEs do you see for sale? Granted we don't know how many were sold but I've yet to see someone selling their AE. I've seen a fair number of 06 A's for sale so far.

One measure of how well current owners like their AEs is this: How many used AEs do you see for sale? Granted we don't know how many were sold but I've yet to see someone selling their AE. I've seen a fair number of 06 A's for sale so far.
Quite a few AE's for sale if you look around on other forums and Ebay.

I am sure that there are a lot more A's sold than AE's, but to each their own, the AE is just not my type of bike.

Quite a few AE's for sale if you look around on other forums and Ebay.

I am sure that there are a lot more A's sold than AE's, but to each their own, the AE is just not my type of bike.
I just looked at the first 5 pages of the for sale section on this forum. (There were 15 pages of stuff for sale but I just checked the first 5). I found 15 2006 FJR As for sale, 2 postings about new AEs at dealers available, and 1 AE for sale. I personally know that 1 AE has been taken off the market as Jim decided to keep it.

I then searched eBay for 2006 FJRs. I found 1 A and 1 AE, both new at the dealerships for sale.

If I was looking to buy a used AE I'd conclude that there aren't any on the used market right now.

I wouldn't, but only cause I'm a cheap bastard and wouldn't pay the extra money!

If money is no object, then go for it. It would certainly be nice in traffic.

Either way you'll probably be happy!

Latest posts