wrecked my bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We both will wear more protection from now on. We have argued about her always wanting to wear shorts and tennis shoes, she's been riding as my passenger for 14 yrs, I've always given in, but this accident has made her realize she needs more on. We always were helmets with flip face down and i always wear gloves and high top hiking shoes. I plan on wearing a lot more from now on.
I always wear the orange milspec vest and have my high beams plus hella fog lights on. We were traveling 30 mph (posted limit). Saw them yield at sign and in hind sight wished I would have laid on the horn (have randy's harness plus aftermarket horns so it is loud), but for what ever reason I didn't, just thought: they see us. That thought will not happen again.

My AE towed that trailer extremely well. No problems, towed it from south of Houston Tx, up into Oklahoma, across the talimena scenic drive into Mena Arkansas, then up to Mount Magazine state park. The trailer never slowed us down, even while going up and down the mountians. Trailer loaded weighed approx 220-250 lbs. The accident happened on the 8th day of our vacation while heading home.

When I get another trailer, a swival hitch will be adapted to it. No if's, and, or buts about it.
good for you...I always am concerned (like when it's me victimized) that I / we're get on the posters nerves with advice and analysis instead of just listening and offering sympathy. You, sir, are a class act.

Cheers,

Mike
+1! Gunny! Yeah, what he said!

I, too, always wonder how newer people will take the stern criticism. But I think it's like a tough love kind'a thing and hope people will see it that way. We only tell it like we see it 'cause we're tired of our friends getting messed up. Sound's like you kids have your heads on straight. Welcome to the fold, and I'm really glad you'll be going ATGATT from here on.

Sorry to hear about your bike, but as we all know, bikes can be fixed pretty quickly, and inexpensively.

People, not so much... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am glad everyone's basically ok.

Also, glad to hear that my insurance company (USAA) isn't a bear to work with.

I hope you can add pictures of your new hitch assembly when you get it setup...I'm interested in seeing what you end up with.

I also don't want to preach too much about gear, however I'd like to point out that there is a Motoport group buy going on right now, and the Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar pants and jacket that I got from them are amazingly reasonable even in 105-110 degree California heat.

Mike

Glad to hear your both ok too. I get so mad when I hear this as it could have been for the worse. Its experiences like this that I learnt the term you guys use "ATGATT". Thanks for sharing this unfortunate accident and hope you ride on. May the Angels of the Highway Always protect Us.

Don't forget to claim "Loss of consortium"

Consortium is a legal term that describes the negative effect that an accident can have on a marriage. If one spouse is injured in an accident, the other spouse may lose some of the love, support, affection, companionship and sexual relations that were a part of the marriage before the injury occurred. Many people mistakenly believe that loss of consortium applies only to sexual intercourse. However, there are numerous different components of loss of consortium, such as comfort, assistance around the home, solace and moral support. As described above, loss of consortium generally refers to any disruption to a marriage that comes about as a result of a personal injury, not just physical intimacy. To seek damages for loss of consortium, the non-injured spouse files a loss of consortium claim in conjunction with the personal injury claim being filed by the injured spouse.

I have been a Commercial General Liability Adjuster since 93. and done more auto claims than I care to mention. I have no love for attorneys, or insurance companys but I wouldn't have a job without them (visa versa).

Did they pay you for loss of use on the bike?

Sounds like you know what your doing, if you have any questions thou please feel free to PM.

Buck

Dls.TX

Don't forget to claim "Loss of consortium"
Consortium is a legal term that describes the negative effect that an accident can have on a marriage. If one spouse is injured in an accident, the other spouse may lose some of the love, support, affection, companionship and sexual relations that were a part of the marriage before the injury occurred. Many people mistakenly believe that loss of consortium applies only to sexual intercourse. However, there are numerous different components of loss of consortium, such as comfort, assistance around the home, solace and moral support. As described above, loss of consortium generally refers to any disruption to a marriage that comes about as a result of a personal injury, not just physical intimacy. To seek damages for loss of consortium, the non-injured spouse files a loss of consortium claim in conjunction with the personal injury claim being filed by the injured spouse.

After Andy's accident, a few years ago, our attorney explained loss of consortium to me. I was thinking along the lines of some compensation for becoming the sole breadwinner, home nurse, etc without his help and support. The attorney explained that we could make this claim but only if I was willing to stand up in court and tell details about our private life. I didn't want THAT sort of claim but was told that the defense attorney would dig deeply with the goal of embarassing me. I chose not to pursue it. YMMV. Certainly talk with an attorney and explore your options.

Good greif! That will sure pucker ya up. glad ya'll guys are ok!

That last picture looks like your on top of Rich Mtn at the lodge above Mena!

Grrrood morning,

Glad to hear that you and the wife are coming along OK. I hope this does not turn her away from riding as I have

seen it happen before.

I think that your posting and pictures will convince more riders to check into better riding gear. I know it has me.

You should be considered heroes if your posting convinces even one more person to acquire protective gear.

Several years ago I was at a small grocery store and saw a pickup truck driver turn left across the oncoming lane.

He may have not seen the motorcycle in the oncoming lane. The cycle driver got a broken leg, I never did hear how

the cycle passenger was. I do remember that before the police arrived, the truck driver was standing over the young

cycles cussing and threating him. I don't know the out come, but I hope litigation and jail was in the truck driver's future.

Sorry for the downer story, just glad your experience was some what less traumatic.

Grrrood by and grrrood luck,

Mad Dog

Besides, how does one place a price tag on consortium?
Just use the going street prices? :rolleyes:
Street prices is what I think when I see the demands from plaintiff attorneys going across my desk. There is no cap on tort liability, demand high! :rolleyes: Liberal venues help.

Buck

Dls.TX

Thank you for sharing your experience. Glad you faired relatively well and have learned from the experience.

Now just a short hi-jack...

...Trailer loaded weighed approx 220-250 lbs....
I have to ask, loaded with what, packing peanuts? Maybe Helium balloons? Or was that trailer made of Superlightium? :unsure:

I'm looking at trailers and the lightest steel trailer/cargo box combo I can come up with is pushing 200# empty! :blink: An all aluminum trailer with 8 cuft box weighs in at 124# but at quite a cost. How did you keep the weight down that low???

Thank you for sharing your experience. Glad you faired relatively well and have learned from the experience.

I have to ask, loaded with what, packing peanuts? Maybe Helium balloons? Or was that trailer made of Superlightium? :unsure:

I'm looking at trailers and the lightest steel trailer/cargo box combo I can come up with is pushing 200# empty! :blink: An all aluminum trailer with 8 cuft box weighs in at 124# but at quite a cost. How did you keep the weight down that low???

Harbor freight's 40x48 trailer has a shipping weight of 131 lbs.

Add on some weight for plywood and a cargo box, you ought to be able to come in at 170ish. (Half a sheet of 1/2 plywood, which is basically what appears to be on this trailer, should weigh about 20 lbs, cargo box...? I dunno, 20 lbs?)

If the trailer is packed with light things (couple bags of clothes, snacks maybe?) you should be able to see under 250 lbs.

Someone I know had a harbor freight trailer that they modified (longer tongue, shorter and narrower 'frame') and even with an aluminum deck and small car topper, they said it weighed 160 lbs empty.

Harbor Freight with 8" wheels, one spring removed from each side, then cut 4" inches width out of the cross members and axle, size changed to 36" X 40". One piece of 1/2" marine grade plywood, and the topper (from pep boys) didn't weigh anything. Clothes were in light weight duffle bags, his and hers, plus another one for dirty clothes. Kept small compressor and some tools in trailer as well. Kept rainsuites in left saddle bag, camera's and tripod in right saddlebag, wallet's - snacks- maps - phonenumbers etc in top trunk.

Wow, that's a pretty scary story. Glad to hear you guys are ok.

Also, a good reminder for anyone pulling a trailer that your maneuverability is seriously compromised.

Wow, that's a pretty scary story. Glad to hear you guys are ok. Also, a good reminder for anyone pulling a trailer that your maneuverability is seriously compromised.

Bushtec trailers use a unique swivel hitch that does not use a ball, but a Heim rod end that swivels 360 degrees. Lightweight, strong, built in barrel key locking device. But I don't know if they sell them as a separate item from their trailers.