Yamaha FJ-09 Sport Tourer Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see nothing safe about a rev limiter of some kind hitting in the midst of a pass.

Speed is not dangerous in and of itself. I fear far more the grill of the truck in the oncoming lane because some artificial "safety" mandate kicked in mid-pass.

What you call safe at "90 mph", Joan Claybrook would call unsafe.

What you may call safe, I may call unsafe...and vice-versa. The main thing is not to have artificial outside mandates cause power loss in a situation where you need speed, no matter what mph you are travelling at.

I see nothing safe about a rev limiter of some kind hitting in the midst of a pass.
Speed is not dangerous in and of itself. I fear far more the grill of the truck in the oncoming lane because some artificial "safety" mandate kicked in mid-pass.

What you call safe at "90 mph", Joan Claybrook would call unsafe.

What you may call safe, I may call unsafe...and vice-versa. The main thing is not to have artificial outside mandates cause power loss in a situation where you need speed, no matter what mph you are travelling at.
+1, Gunny; this statement right here is why wheatonFJR is the smartest Guy here on our Fine FJR Forum, very nicely said you Carolinas Hillbilly! JSNS, Goober!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, is it a rev limiter or a speed limiter? I don't have a problem with the maximum speed (in top gear); I would rarely, if ever, find a need to exceed that. If it is a rev limiter, this translates to a much lower top speed in a lower gear. This would bite you if you drop down to third for a quick pass.

Right after I got the FJR, before I knew that it had a rev limiter, I pulled out to pass a camper, a pickup towing a boat and an old guy in a Buick....the whole parade doing 45. Broken line, WFO in second, halfway up the line, getting ready to shift, and.....WTF-she quits hyperdrive...by the time the old brain figured it out and upshifted an oncoming chick in a Volvo had appeared out of a dip in the road and I finished the pass in my own personal lane- the one between the center lines. Just like my Canuuk brothers from the north like to do. Saw Jesus that day. And I never had seen a chick with eyes that big before.

anyhow, I know about the limiter and take it into consideration....would do the same for a deballed FJ-09.

We can discuss how fast any particular rider can safely operate any particular motorcycle under any particular conditions and each come up with a different set of answers. The issue for me is that I do not need a corporate nanny deciding how fast my machine should go.

[sarcasm] I wonder why they didn't have a nice big sign on the FJ09 at the bike shows indicating that it was electronically limited to 114mph maximum. [/sarcasm]

We can discuss how fast any particular rider can safely operate any particular motorcycle under any particular conditions and each come up with a different set of answers. The issue for me is that I do not need a corporate nanny deciding how fast my machine should go.

[sarcasm] I wonder why they didn't have a nice big sign on the FJ09 at the bike shows indicating that it was electronically limited to 114mph maximum.
Excellent point.

If this limiter is true...no sale ever for me.

Yes, there is no need for (such a low) speed limiter on an FJ09. The fact that the FZ09 has none (with even less wind protection) and that the euro models do not have it, says it is not something that was required by the design. It falls into the same decision making area as the 85 mph cruise limit on the 2013 FJRs, which was raised in 2014 and later models.

Hopefully Yamaha will hear its customers voices and get rid of this stupid nanny on future model years. In the meantime they are opening up the aftermarket opportunities, as there will surely be a large number of FJ buyers who want to delete that limit in the firmware, for off street use of course.
wink.png

Would it prevent me from buying one? Probably not. My over-stressed savings accounts will take care of that just fine.

I was pissed when I found out my Toyota Tacoma had a 105-mph speed limit programmed in. This is Montana, ferchrissakes! Just say "no" to 115 mph motorcycle speed limiters. By the way, the 55K '05 FJR pulled hard to 130 on Sunday, had plenty more to go when I backed out.

My aging body and mind just don't think about going that fast any more. My FJR feels like a rocket ship, but my old BMW airhead still feels plenty fast. Of course it feels fast because it shakes and clatters when i open the throttle, but at least it feels fast even thought i no it isn't!

I was pissed when I found out my Toyota Tacoma had a 105-mph speed limit programmed in. This is Montana, ferchrissakes! Just say "no" to 115 mph motorcycle speed limiters. By the way, the 55K '05 FJR pulled hard to 130 on Sunday, had 25mph plenty more to go when I backed out.
Fixed...

Have to take your word for it:

You do not have permission to access this thread.
Here's what it says: I have a new supporting Vendor coming on board who is the leader in ECU Reflashing for motorcycles.

They need an FJ-09 to test and work on to create a new ECU file. This new tune will eliminate the Top Speed Limiter, increase horsepower and also smooth ot the fueling on your FJ-09. YOu would be without your bike for a week, and then you would end up with a free ECU flash on your bike!

Have to take your word for it:

You do not have permission to access this thread.
Here's what it says: I have a new supporting Vendor coming on board who is the leader in ECU Reflashing for motorcycles.

They need an FJ-09 to test and work on to create a new ECU file. This new tune will eliminate the Top Speed Limiter, increase horsepower and also smooth ot the fueling on your FJ-09. YOu would be without your bike for a week, and then you would end up with a free ECU flash on your bike!
Excellent. That is what I figured was the solution. Wish I had an FJ-09 to donate!

Excellent. That is what I figured was the solution. Wish I had an FJ-09 to donate!
WHAT?!?!? I suspect many were hoping you'd whisper something in Momma Yama's ear.

While you're at it, remind her about the self-canceling turn signals. Bet the FJ-09 has 'em.

Wonder if this vender can reflash the cruise control on a 2013 so it will work at speeds above 80 MPH.

WHAT?!?!? I suspect many were hoping you'd whisper something in Momma Yama's ear.

While you're at it, remind her about the self-canceling turn signals. Bet the FJ-09 has 'em.
Don't forget to mention about adding cruise on the FJ-09 while you're at it!