Yamaha Heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawinter

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
For my birthday my wi8fe got me Yamaha heated grips.

I have searched this site and other's looking for info on how to install these myself.

I am reasonably adept with doing thing myself

Is it hard to figure out or should I have the Dealer install them?

My Wife says she will pay for that also.

I have never done grips so I don't have a clue.

I really think shes buying me all these farkle's so I won't want a new bike.

I think I'm getting the Corbin Sumggler for Christmas.

The directions can be found here.

This shows an interesting alternate controller location.

Personally, I don't like the way that Yamaha taps into the brake light circuit for power. I personally would use a switched relay and a separate fuse, but that's just me. As for whether you are capable of doing the install, I don't see why not, it's pretty straightforward. There's lots of people here that can answer any questions that come up.

If you do some searching here at the Forum and at H. Marc's site you will find lots of install tips and help.

The Yamaha instructions say to use contact cleaner to remove the factory grips. Contact cleaner works great --but-- [SIZE=14pt]CONTACT CLEANER IS DEATH TO THE BLACK PLASTIC ON THE FARING[/SIZE] :erm: cover the black plastic well so that any overspray can't touch it. The cleaner causes the black plastic to turn white in big ugly splotches.

This is the way the grips will be hooked up:

GripSchematic.jpg

The + connection is made by teeing the connector at the front brake and the - connection is *INSIDE* the harness near the steering head, you have to dig into the wire sleeve to find the connection.

The install instructions show the grip wires coming out the top (pointing up), I installed mine with the wires down and haven't had problems in 2+ years. Looks better IMO.

The grips will not work unless the engine is running. You have to start the engine to test your handiwork.

Alan