Yamaha offers info on AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Braking to a complete stop: When braking, whether from a smooth controlled stop or aggressively, the clutch is disengaged automatically at the proper time to keep the engine running. There is no need to shift into neutral when stopped, the clutch will be disengaged automatically.
Sounds wonderful, but, what happens if this malfunctions ?

A lot of technology in there, too much and not necessary for me.

I hope all you AE owners enjoy it and don't have any problems.

Can't wait to hear your posts.

Why am I getting an AE.......not because of clutch fatigue.......I just want something different! Something NEW..........the lastest greatest technology....And as Yamaha advertising,,,,this is the same type of shifting found in Ferraris & formula 1 race cars........Yea I think I'm gonna love having a $15,000 motorcycle that shifts like a $250,000 - $1,000,000 race car. NOt to mention, just as fast too!

If I don't like it.....I'll trade it in and get a plain jane model.........

Ain't much more complicated than that boys.....it's only money.

Thats a great reason to get one. You have one-up'd every other motorcycle, and unless you hit the lotto, the 250K car is out of sight! "Great luck on your new ride."

Somehow everyone ignored this one: "The system will not allow you to shift out of neutral if the throttle is opened." Also, what about, "The amount of clutch slippage will be determined by how aggressive you are on the throttle. The harder your acceleration, the more the clutch slips."

Bad bad bad! No AE for me - no way no how. Cool idea, but I personally don't want to be limited.

-BD

But, sitting at a dead stop - in first - at an idle would allow you to pin the throttle and launch the bike.

The clutch slippage will always in PART be determined by an aggressive throttle.

:D :alien: :bigeyes:

Maybe some infinite wisdom will solve all the questions and comments about to shift or not to shift .

(1). real men do not eat 'quiche'

(2). real men do not shift their transmissions automatically

But real men shift manually

For me take my 05 and manual shifter

Note IMHO onl y a medical conditions would be a condition or reason for an auto shifter to enable one to ride

:eek: :eek: :eek: happy shifting

The 'trigger' for the AE upshifts looks pretty sweet to me:

yccs_04_600.jpg

but don't the Yeuropean FJRs have a high beam 'flash' trigger button already in that vicinity? (Photos from earlier Howardrq post) I guess you'll have to be FAST--fast on the draw... :agent: and not too trigger happy.

Switch1.jpg

Switch2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 'trigger' for the AE upshifts looks pretty sweet to me:
yccs_04_600.jpg

but don't the Yeuropean FJRs have a high beam 'flash' trigger button already in that vicinity? (Photos from earlier Howardrq post)
If you look at the rectangular shaped "blank" above the finger toggles for the AE shift, that's where the Euro flash switch is mounted. The AE shift module is mounted inboard of the normal switch pod, and the shift switches are on the "L" shaped piece that reaches under the standard bright/dim-windshield-horn switch housing.

Somehow everyone ignored this one: "The system will not allow you to shift out of neutral if the throttle is opened." Also, what about, "The amount of clutch slippage will be determined by how aggressive you are on the throttle. The harder your acceleration, the more the clutch slips."
Bad bad bad! No AE for me - no way no how. Cool idea, but I personally don't want to be limited.

-BD
The more throttle applied the more aggressively the clutch is engaged from what I have been told by those from Yamaha that have actually ridden the AE. It stands to reason that if you barely move the throttle, the computer will only feather the clutch to prevent stalling.

The word I have gotten is the AE will most definitely do major league wheel stands with aggressive throttle application!

Everyone said the GTS was a dog when it came out and now it's a highly sought after bike that was just way ahead of it's time! I am willing to give it a chance and park it along side my GTS in my garage!

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter

:D                 :alien:                   :bigeyes:
    Maybe some infinite wisdom will solve all the questions and comments about to shift or not  to shift . 

(1).  real men do not eat 'quiche'

(2). real men do not shift their transmissions automatically

But real men shift manually 

For me take my 05  and manual shifter 

Note IMHO  onl y a medical conditions would be a condition or reason for an auto  shifter  to enable one to ride 

:eek:     :eek:     :eek:       happy shifting
You are talking about clutch lever use as opposed to automatic shifting. The AE does not shift automatically.

My Burgman 650 is an automatic and is a far cry from the AE and its technology.

You need to have a chat with Valentino about that or maybe Michael Schumaker about their man hood! With WOT no clutch up shifts (watch his hands during a race) and slipper clutch down shifts, clutch lever use is becoming more and more a thing of the past. Good for starts is about all.

The racers are already using most of the technology incorporated in the AE. Now us mear mortals can have some of that technology too!

-BD
The more throttle applied the more aggressively the clutch is engaged from what I have been told by those from Yamaha that have actually ridden the AE. It stands to reason that if you barely move the throttle, the computer will only feather the clutch to prevent stalling.

The word I have gotten is the AE will most definitely do major league wheel stands with aggressive throttle application!

Everyone said the GTS was a dog when it came out and now it's a highly sought after bike that was just way ahead of it's time! I am willing to give it a chance and park it along side my GTS in my garage!

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter
The computer is at least as smart as me. Feather clutch for slow manoevers, aggressive engagement for up in smoke or wheelies! There appears to be no code in the ECU to prevent that.

-BD

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter
The computer is at least as smart as me. Feather clutch for slow manoevers, aggressive engagement for up in smoke or wheelies! There appears to be no code in the ECU to prevent that.
Bottom line: You will never be able to decide your own clutch engagement rate. Popping or extreme feathering of the clutch will not be attainable with the AE.

Again, this is personally NOT for me. I am anal and like control. But it is cool technology and if you are willing to give it up some of that control the AE is definitely a sweet ride.

-BD

To the letter you are right.

However on a cvt the clutch engagement is very easy to control. I use this analogy only because there are no riders that I know that have ridden an AE.

It is all in the amount of throttle you use. A clutch lever reacts to the amount of input you use as well. Both are very easy to control.

Although the AE trans is nothing like a cvt I am sure that clutch control is all in the throttle wrist and you lose absolutely nothing compared to using a clutch lever. The ability to control is still 100 percent.

Very interesting, reading everyone's thoughts and opinions. As for me I will keep my Nomad 1600 when my AE arrives. And ride them according to where I am going or what I am doing or depending on how I feel. Me I like motorcycles and the pleasure they bring me. I also like technology and the possible change that it can bring me. I would rather be riding todays bikes than the bikes of 70 or 80 years ago Those old bikes have become curiosities and collectors items, why, because better technology brought us the bikes we ride today. So it just boils down to different strokes for different folks. How the manhood thing gets involved with this is a mystery to me. To me it's a bike thing.

So, from what I've read, lot's of interesting speculation. Sounds like it will work to me, but I have one simple questions:

Will it roll when in gear? Like, stopped on a hill, and the cage in front is rolling backwards, can I release the break and roll backwards to avoid squishing? Or do I have to find neutral in a hurry, or try to dodge. Same thing when parking etc, do I have to shift in and out of first to roll forward and backward?

The only thing that seems for sure you won't be able to do, is be in gear and rev the engine, like the gixer cruising around london friday night was doing :rolleyes:

So, from what I've read, lot's of interesting speculation. Sounds like it will work to me, but I have one simple questions:
Will it roll when in gear? Like, stopped on a hill, and the cage in front is rolling backwards, can I release the break and roll backwards to avoid squishing? Or do I have to find neutral in a hurry, or try to dodge. Same thing when parking etc, do I have to shift in and out of first to roll forward and backward?

The only thing that seems for sure you won't be able to do, is be in gear and rev the engine, like the gixer cruising around london friday night was doing :rolleyes:
It will most definitely roll when in gear and the bike is idling. The clutch is "disengaged" at an idle.

Tony Orihuela