Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Folks, our Super Tenere deliveries will be delayed by at least one month per today's Yamaha press release. ST Assembly was supposed to have started on March 14, but the earthquake and tsunamis stopped all production. And, "Hamakita Manufacture of parts April 15-21: Limited production for overseas models!" sure does not sound good to we North American deposit holders. However, nothing really can be done about it, except to offer up prayers for the survivors and hope for the very best!

Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. Operating Plans(April 8, 2011 Updated)

<April 8, 2011 Release>

Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. wishes to express its sincere condolences for the victims of the devastating earthquake and tsunamis that struck Japan’s northeastern seaboard, and to extend its deepest sympathy to the bereaved families.

Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. announces its updated operating plans for the following factories.

The operating plan listed below is for the period between April 15 and 21.

Business

Factory

Role

Operating plan

Motorcycle Iwata Main Assembly of finished products and engines April 15-21: Limited production

Iwata South Assembly of engines

Hamakita Manufacture of parts April 15-21: Limited production for overseas model parts

Morimachi

Nakaze

Fukuroi Packaging for overseas model parts April 15-21: Operation will continue

Outboard Motors Fukuroi South Assembly of finished products April 15-21: Limited production

YKP*

PWC* Kuramatsu Assembly of engines April 15-21: Limited production

Automobile Engines YMC main Assembly of engines April 15: Production suspended

April 18-21: Decision pending

Power Products YMPC* ATV* April 15-21: Limited production

Golf Car April 15-21: Limited production

Generator April 15-21: Limited production

All factories other than the above, including Boat, Pool, IM* PAS* and UAV* factories will continue to operate as usual.

*Abbreviations:

*YKP: Yamaha Kumamoto Products Co., Ltd.

*YMPC: Yamaha Motor Powered Products Co., Ltd.

*PWC: Personal water craft

*ATV: All Terrain Vehicle

*IM: Intelligent Machinery

*PAS: Power Assisted Bicycle

*UAV: Unmanned Aerial Vehicle

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few new ones, IF you have not seen them already.... Just more eye candy..... :p

ravenwg.jpg

Yamaha1.jpg

Yamaha2.jpg

Yamaha3.jpg

Yamaha4.jpg

YCT.jpg

Here is my new can and exhaust heat shield to go on the new scoot.........

Bothpipes.jpg

CarbonShield.jpg

Pipe.jpg

And just for fun, has nothing to do with the new bike, but just thought it was kinda crazy.. this new tire..... :blink:

BMWtire.jpg

Well Folks, our Super Tenere deliveries will be delayed by at least one month per today's Yamaha press release. ST Assembly was supposed to have started on March 14, but the earthquake and tsunamis stopped all production. And, "Hamakita Manufacture of parts April 15-21: Limited production for overseas models!" sure does not sound good to we North American deposit holders. However, nothing really can be done about it, except to offer up prayers for the survivors and hope for the very best!

Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. Operating Plans(April 8, 2011 Updated)

<April 8, 2011 Release>

...Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. announces its updated operating plans for the following factories.

The operating plan listed below is for the period between April 15 and 21.

Motorcycle Iwata Main Assembly of finished products and engines April 15-21: Limited production

Iwata South Assembly of engines

Hamakita Manufacture of parts April 15-21: Limited production for overseas model parts

Fukuroi Packaging for overseas model parts April 15-21: Operation will continue

All factories other than the above, including Boat, Pool, IM* PAS* and UAV* factories will continue to operate as usual.
Don -

Saw that over the weekend and had a similar thought at first, but in re-reading, it says nothing about the vendors or even really about Yamaha production. Yamaha could miss early delivery schedules and make it up quickly with overtime. Or they could be totally tripped up if the one vendor for some important part was right next to the nuke plant.

As you said, not much we can do but wait.

No One -

At least now I now what colors to get my new riding gear in!

:p

I do hope our "blackies" get the black luggage rack as shown, and not the silver ones that are in other photos.

Hmmm..., that's not so neat (especially with $4 gas).

Does the Super Tenere incorporate a Knock Sensor? (allowing the use of lower octane gas by retarding the ignition timing when "pinging" is detected -- often reducing performance and mileage, too):

(anyone know...?)
Yamaha3.jpg

Hmmm..., that's not so neat (especially with $4 gas).

Does the Supere Tenere incorporate a Knock Sensor? (allowing the use of lower octane gas by retarding the ignition timing when "pinging" is detected -- often reducing performance and mileage, too):

(anyone know...?)
Yamaha3.jpg
charismaticmegafauna: +1, Gunny! Until I saw that picture and read your post I was unaware my new Super Tenere was requiring 91 octane fuel. I am Number Two on the waiting list at D & H Cycle of Cullman, Alabama and I believe I have received all Yamaha promotional materials that are available from D & H Owners Jerold and Renaa.

On my trip to Sonora Estado, Mexico last week, half of the Pemex stations we stopped at only had Magna available, happens all of the time down in Mexico. Pemex Premium is 91 octane and the Magna is 87, it will be a real drag on my future Mexico and Guatemala trips if there is not a Knock Sensor on "Eva Mendes", my soon arriving S10!

On my trip to Sonora Estado, Mexico last week, half of the Pemex stations we stopped at only had Magna available, happens all of the time down in Mexico. Pemex Premium is 91 octane and the Magna is 87, it will be a real drag on my future Mexico and Guatemala trips if there is not a Knock Sensor on "Eva Mendes", my soon arriving S10!
This is exactly why I was carrying a bottle of octance booster with me on our trip to Copper Cannyon last November. My WR450 would not have taken kindly to 87 Octance if I had not done something about it.

I don't recall the WR ever knocking during the trip so I'm thinking the octane booster did its job.

There have been at least several octane threads in the Super Tenere forum, several more in ADVRiders, and the BMW forums like to use this as "my GS is superior because it has a knock sensor." We can drop the BMW ones as totally meaningless both as statements and comparisons, because the latest versions of the boxer run something like 12:1 compression, which is far more than the 11:1 Super-T.

This is probably the best of the threads to have actual facts and meat: https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=660.0

The threads come to two separate questions: First, is whether the bike has a knock sensor? The answer is no.

The second is whether it actually needs one? Probably not unless lugging heavy loads in low speed conditions like trails in Mexico in summer, if even then.

After completing break-in, I'll probably be among the crowd trying different types of gas to find the one the bike runs best with and gives best mileage on.

There have been at least several octane threads in the Super Tenere forum, several more in ADVRiders, and the BMW forums like to use this as "my GS is superior because it has a knock sensor." We can drop the BMW ones as totally meaningless both as statements and comparisons, because the latest versions of the boxer run something like 12:1 compression, which is far more than the 11:1 Super-T.

This is probably the best of the threads to have actual facts and meat: https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=660.0

The threads come to two separate questions: First, is whether the bike has a knock sensor? The answer is no.

The second is whether it actually needs one? Probably not unless lugging heavy loads in low speed conditions like trails in Mexico in summer, if even then.

After completing break-in, I'll probably be among the crowd trying different types of gas to find the one the bike runs best with and gives best mileage on.

I believe that the US ST1200 is the only country that "require" the premium... I suspect (or my guess) is that it has to do with the fuel delivery sequence and ECM spark timing for emissions.... I'm guessing that it will run on the lower grades but with a piggy back ECM computer it should be a slam dunk with timing.. I think power commander is fuel pulse only, but there might be a Euro piggy back that can change the whole deal... Ill look around, and post what I thought I read........

I am just the Messenger, so please don't shoot me! And this could just be an internet rumor, but it is getting a lot of traffic over at https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=911.msg15182;boardseen#new

If this is true, we will not see the Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 here in North America until after November 1.

Just received word from my dealer (Bay Area Yamaha in Coos Bay Oregon) that letters have gone out from Yamaha stating that delivery has been delayed until at least 1 Nov due to unforeseen problems with suppliers. Ron received a 3 page letter from Yamaha USA in Cypress, CA a few minutes ago.

I don't have a copy in hand but I should receive it in the next day or two. I believe everyone who has placed a order will get the letter. There is also a claim form to receive back your $500 if you no longer want the bike.

I am not surprised with the supplier issue after the devastation that has taken place in Japan. I will wait for my bike. My dealer said the other 5 folks who have XT1200's on order from him have told him the same.

I believe the bike is worth waiting for!

-steve

I am just the Messenger, so please don't shoot me! And this could just be an internet rumor, but it is getting a lot of traffic over at https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=911.msg15182;boardseen#new

If this is true, we will not see the Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 here in North America until after November 1.

Just received word from my dealer (Bay Area Yamaha in Coos Bay Oregon) that letters have gone out from Yamaha stating that delivery has been delayed until at least 1 Nov due to unforeseen problems with suppliers. Ron received a 3 page letter from Yamaha USA in Cypress, CA a few minutes ago.

I don't have a copy in hand but I should receive it in the next day or two. I believe everyone who has placed a order will get the letter. There is also a claim form to receive back your $500 if you no longer want the bike.

I am not surprised with the supplier issue after the devastation that has taken place in Japan. I will wait for my bike. My dealer said the other 5 folks who have XT1200's on order from him have told him the same.

-steve

I'm standing by my order even if this is true and I can believe it might be. After all with conditions like this (https://webmaila.juno.com/webmail/new/21?folder=Inbox&uniqMsgId=001DfkIv000034U9&attachId=4&[email protected]&content=central)bike delivery to other countries is probably a little low on the priority list.

I'm sorry to hear the news, but it's not that big a deal for me, all things considered. I suppose I'll let the PDP payment ride. Never pre-farkled so that's all I have invested. If the whole thing is cancelled and my deposit is returned, might just donate to the cause, like Red Cross. I'm pretty sure they could use it.

-steve

I hope not true but if so im staying with the bike and Ill get it when I get it............... Going to make a few calls tomorrow to a few friends, I can find out from the horses mouth... Ill report back...

We're going to Laughlin for the River Run at the end of April. Got an email from Yamaha that they will have the FZ8 and the Tenere at the rally for test rides. I'll ride them both and get back to you. Should be interesting.

-steve
I'd seen that too, Don. As mentioned, I won't believe it till getting the actual letter, but I was at the dealer the night before and we could look at all of his Yamaha inventory status EXCEPT for the Super-T models. Something's up.

I'll be one of those that keep my order intact. I haven't heard of anybody getting a better price, they sure aren't going to drop the price a year from now, and most of all, I still like the beast.

But dang...

Glad I just did a full winter mx job on the Feej and have a new PR2 waiting in the garage.

Read it and weep!

It's true.......

April 20, 2011

2012 Super Ténéré Shipment

Dear Yamaha Motorcycle Dealer,

Due to the recent devastating events in Japan, our factory finds that it is necessary to delay the

production and shipment of the 2012 Super Ténéré.

While Yamaha Motor Companys factories were not directly affected by the earthquake, many of

our suppliers were, and that is the case as it relates to Super Ténéré production.

Based on the most recent production and supplier updates from Japan, we expect to finish

deliveries of Super Ténéré PDP orders by November 30, 2011.

Due to this production and delivery delay, Yamaha is providing your Priority Delivery Program

customers the opportunity to cancel their PDP order and receive a full refund of their deposit.

We apologize for this unfortunate situation and we hope that your customer is willing to wait for

this incredible motorcycle. If as a result of this new delivery schedule your customer prefers to

cancel their Priority Delivery Program order, please return their deposit and Yamaha will credit

your parts account.

If you have a customer that wishes to cancel their Super Ténéré PDP order and receive a

refund, please complete the attached PDP Order Cancellation & Deposit Reimbursement Claim

Form and fax the signed form back to Yamaha at xxx.xxx.xxxx, no later than May 31, 2011.

On behalf of all of us at Yamaha, we want to thank you once again for marketing and selling

what we believe to be the finest Adventure Touring motorcycling in the industry. Both

European and American moto-journalists have written rave reviews and we know your customer

will be equally impressed with their new motorcycle.

Thank you for your understanding and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this

situation may cause you, your dealership, or your customers.

Sincerely,

Dennis McNeal

Yamaha Motorcycle Operations

Motorsports Group Company

Tony

I think the key is FINNSIH.......... NOT, Start deliveries

Based on the most recent production and supplier updates from Japan, we expect to finish

deliveries of Super Ténéré PDP orders by November 30, 2011

Others will be here sooner im guessing...... :yahoo:

I will have to think about it now. I can use the bucks elsewhere and don't really "need" another bike. I was excited about the bike and thus placed the order. But Nov. will be 14 months after placing the order, so has kind of taken the bloom off the rose for me. So I'm undecided right now and will have to look at pros and cons for me personally.

doctorj

I will have to think about it now. I can use the bucks elsewhere and don't really "need" another bike. I was excited about the bike and thus placed the order. But Nov. will be 14 months after placing the order, so has kind of taken the bloom off the rose for me. So I'm undecided right now and will have to look at pros and cons for me personally.

doctorj
+1, Gunny! I'm in the same boat doctorJ, I too am looking at this one long and hard now. I still can't escape the fact it's heavier than a R1200GS and with less power too!