Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started a thread over on the ADV site about a similar brake set up in mechanical parts as the bmw gs 800... There was a guy that seamed to have a fender failure and the cross over brake line hung on the tire and locked up the tire. Made him crash on dirt/gravel road at 50 mph......

Being that the Super Tenere has the same "type" set up, what are your thoughts about going to a dual separate brake lines for each calliper...

Here is the post, the first post as the crash video... https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667236
Same answer I gave on ADV to somebody else who started a similar thread:

It probably would cost an extra 20 cents to run separate brake lines and I'm sure that some bean counter at Yamaha weighed this against potential failure modes and potential litigation costs. In the real world, the bike is designed to be sold to customers in all environments.

If you ride where there's a lot of brush and sticks, the low crossover would be harder to snag, versus two longer lines. Also consider that post-factory changes typically are the things that fail. If you are changing the brake lines &/or the front fender, all bets are off and it comes down to YOUR changes versus YOUR riding.

I've got a FJR and am waiting for a SuperT. I'll wait to mod the SuperT until a real need is shown. So far, the owners who've had them haven't found that need.

Agree,, thanks for your post on both forums. Yea, at this point I think the only dumb part is the skid plate bolted to the oil sump that is cast... :blink: That's why im working on my own... Super Skidder :lol:
If you come up with a good one are you going to go comercial or jusy planning a one off ?
I'm going to build mine and show it on a few forums. If there is any interest I will put it into production. I'm a pro-fab guy so we can build them if there is a demand.. Mine is going to be like no other on the market so far. If you might be looking for something better, strong over the stock one, that is offered on the market curently, you might be happy with that.. Ours is going to be the ultimate, im sure I might even here the words 'over the top' protection..... Cant wait ! :yahoo:

I'm also working on some carbon fiber parts, and something cool to carry more fuel "if you need or want too"... Several other things aswell...... ;) Ill post pictures and explain..

One of my friends ordered a Tenere back in January. He stopped in the dealer today and they told him it is scheduled for delivery in ............ August!!! I'm not sure if it is earthquake/big wave related. Has anyone else heard anything?

One of my friends ordered a Tenere back in January. He stopped in the dealer today and they told him it is scheduled for delivery in ............ August!!! I'm not sure if it is earthquake/big wave related. Has anyone else heard anything?

6-7 months from order date is standard for the pre-order. That is what they quoted me way back in 2004 on my FJR. I was lucky in that I got mine in 6 weeks due to a cancellation. So always worth a call to your sales person to let them know to call ASAP if anyone declines delivery of their bike for financial or other reasons. If you have a good relationship with them, there are ways ;) to make sure you are the one to get the call even if you are a bit down the list.

https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=459.0 Currently 39 pages of posts on this topic, looks like May deliveries are NOT going to happen! Perhaps not even June or July!

Last edited by a moderator:
I started a thread over on the ADV site about a similar brake set up in mechanical parts as the bmw gs 800... There was a guy that seamed to have a fender failure and the cross over brake line hung on the tire and locked up the tire. Made him crash on dirt/gravel road at 50 mph......

Being that the Super Tenere has the same "type" set up, what are your thoughts about going to a dual separate brake lines for each calliper...

Here is the post, the first post as the crash video... https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667236
Same answer I gave on ADV to somebody else who started a similar thread:

It probably would cost an extra 20 cents to run separate brake lines and I'm sure that some bean counter at Yamaha weighed this against potential failure modes and potential litigation costs. In the real world, the bike is designed to be sold to customers in all environments.

If you ride where there's a lot of brush and sticks, the low crossover would be harder to snag, versus two longer lines. Also consider that post-factory changes typically are the things that fail. If you are changing the brake lines &/or the front fender, all bets are off and it comes down to YOUR changes versus YOUR riding.

I've got a FJR and am waiting for a SuperT. I'll wait to mod the SuperT until a real need is shown. So far, the owners who've had them haven't found that need.

Agree,, thanks for your post on both forums. Yea, at this point I think the only dumb part is the skid plate bolted to the oil sump that is cast... :blink: That's why im working on my own... Super Skidder :lol:
If you come up with a good one are you going to go comercial or jusy planning a one off ?
I'm going to build mine and show it on a few forums. If there is any interest I will put it into production. I'm a pro-fab guy so we can build them if there is a demand.. Mine is going to be like no other on the market so far. If you might be looking for something better, strong over the stock one, that is offered on the market curently, you might be happy with that.. Ours is going to be the ultimate, im sure I might even here the words 'over the top' protection..... Cant wait ! :yahoo:

I'm also working on some carbon fiber parts, and something cool to carry more fuel "if you need or want too"... Several other things aswell...... ;) Ill post pictures and explain..
I would be interested in seeing what you come up with as I haven't decided on which skid plate or crash-bars yet but do not like Yamaha's version of either.

(*I would be interested in seeing what you come up with as I haven't decided on which skid plate or crash-bars yet but do not like Yamaha's version of either.*)

Concentrating on the skid and a few other of our own parts, but a type of crash bar we are looking at, and working on.

Last week I was also told my bike was scheduled for August. I am currently down with a shoulder injury so I'm in no hurry.

I'm not 100%, but I have a feeling that the new bike in the US is not going to be as 'late' as some might have thought.. I think they are going to be closer to on-time than being really late.... Just fun food for thought.... :dribble: In fact, Ive been told they are "on-schedule"....

A Perfect road for Yamaha Super Tenere: Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canuckistan to Tetlin Junction, Alaska; via Eagle and Chicken. Perfect for a big fat heavy trailie!

I'm not 100%, but I have a feeling that the new bike in the US is not going to be as 'late' as some might have thought.. I think they are going to be closer to on-time than being really late.... Just fun food for thought.... :dribble: In fact, Ive been told they are "on-schedule"....
I certainly hope that's true, as the demo ride this past weekend has only made it harder to wait!

A Perfect road for Yamaha Super Tenere: Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canuckistan to Tetlin Junction, Alaska; via Eagle and Chicken. Perfect for a big fat heavy trailie!

Yeah scubatech, way back when I was young, handsome and had a body like a Greek God!

Now I have a body like a god damn greek, I'm old and look like RadioHowie on a good day!!!

Yeah but look at all that experience you have and the Greek God has yet to learn!!

Thanks for the video Don. Some great looking country up north of the border!

--G

Cool Vid, Looking forward to riding some of that on the new scooter ! :)

--G
Hola Jorge, keep your eyes on our Forum in January. Steve K.-Jorstin of Chula Vista and Papa Chuy Viejo are planning a 3-week trip to Alaska during June and July of 2012. We're both taking along our young sons, both boys will be 15 years old next Summer. We'll be incorporating both Alaskan Marine Highway and British Columbia Ferry Systems; so the kids can see wildlife such as whales, bears, eagles and salmon jumping out of the water. You can either ride all or partway with us young guys.

https://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml

--G
Hola Jorge, keep your eyes on our Forum in January. Steve K.-Jorstin of Chula Vista and Papa Chuy Viejo are planning a 3-week trip to Alaska during June and July of 2012. We're both taking along our young sons, both boys will be 15 years old next Summer. We'll be incorporating both Alaskan Marine Highway and British Columbia Ferry Systems; so the kids can see wildlife such as whales, bears, eagles and salmon jumping out of the water. You can either ride all or partway with us young guys.

https://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml
Great link, bookmarked. We'll be watching for the ride specifics next winter Don. Would love to join y'all on at least part of the adventure.

BTW, when you speak of young guys...you're talking about the kids, right? ;) :lol:

--G