Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the bike simply because I'm 6'5", and like the thought of lets of legroom, with a high torque engine. Truthfully, I would probably not take it off road at all, but it is nice to know you can. PLUS, Yamaha's shaft drives are proven durable (unlike the BMWs of late). That being said, I'm still planning to ride my FJR until it dies.
I'm right there with you. With a 36" inseam, my legs get cramped on long trips. That's even with a custom seat in top position that adds another 3/4" to its height.
So, if you guys are intending to keep your FJR's, would you really be willing to spend 16K for a Tenere so you could maybe take it off road someday? There are a lot less expensive options to have that capability. I currently have a 2004 DL1000 that I bought before my first FJR. It has a Wilber's shock and Ohlins springs in the forks, a very smooth ride on pavement, and does pretty good on gravel roads but I seldom take it anywhere...the only reason it is still in my garage is for the off pavement capability...but its only worth about $4500 so it isn't costing me that much to keep it. Like half the members of this board, I am thinking about an Alaska trip, but unless Deadhorse or Inuvik is a destination, I think I will take the FJR.

I really like the looks of this bike!! But even after lusting after an FJR for 4 years did I finally come to the end where I was torn between the DL1000 or an 08 FJR on the showroom floor. The V-Strom was going to be my first choice but was told that production cuts would make my chances of owning one super slim.

So I went for the FJR. and I have no regrets. BUT!! I still have hope for a Dual Sport in the future. So since it is forbidden by my GF for me to have two bikes or more than one Girl Friend. And after the bugs are worked out of this new thing , I may switch rides. This thing looks too good to be true!!

Ive ridden nearly all the roads(paved) that we have here in Montana and northern WYo. But thats only 1/5 of the roads available here.

There is a lot no, ton of gravel roads that I have never seen that I would camp, crash, eat and ride on here with that Tener? Teeneere? ...Trenay???

How the hell are you supposed to pronounce that anywhoo??

..well , for now I'm calling it .....Susan!! :yahoo:

For me I would use it to explore the 100,000 or so miles of NF dirt roads and logging roads all over the rockies, sierras, cascades, and desert regions in this country not to mention Alaska.

The weight is a lot but my Harley weighs a lot too and is WAY more stable on dirt and gravel than my FJR because of fork angle, front tire diameter, and CG.

I don't know if this bike would exibit the same characteristics? would have to ride one to know.

If I wanted to run the Colorado 500 I would trailer something better suited to that then ride.

If the FJR is any indication the maintenance on this bike would be superior to the BMW or the KTM.

Way better dealer network than either as well.

Comes ready to haul all my camping shit with optional boxes. Good sized tank

And for me its a LONG damn way to all the fun stuff so this bike would fill my needs better than just about anything I've seen yet YMMV.

Price? who knows they don't sell it here so it's just speculation at this point.

And lastly it's a Yamaha and I like em.

For me I would use it to explore the 100,000 or so miles of NF dirt roads and logging roads all over the rockies, sierras, cascades, and desert regions in this country not to mention Alaska.
The weight is a lot but my Harley weighs a lot too and is WAY more stable on dirt and gravel than my FJR because of fork angle, front tire diameter, and CG.

I don't know if this bike would exibit the same characteristics? would have to ride one to know.

If I wanted to run the Colorado 500 I would trailer something better suited to that then ride.

If the FJR is any indication the maintenance on this bike would be superior to the BMW or the KTM.

Way better dealer network than either as well.

Comes ready to haul all my camping shit with optional boxes. Good sized tank

And for me its a LONG damn way to all the fun stuff so this bike would fill my needs better than just about anything I've seen yet YMMV.

Price? who knows they don't sell it here so it's just speculation at this point.

And lastly it's a Yamaha and I like em.

New pictures first post :) You just said ^^^^^^^^^^ here at what im looking to do. Fire roads, exploring mineing camps, tons of great "fire roads" in CO, UT, NM, Etc...... I want a 'touring' bike that can blast down dirt roads and was built for it.. Heck, ive done this on my FJR but I KNOW what I did was not good for it and if I did it again it might break the darn thing. This bike is built for what im looking to do.................... :) :)

CALL YAMAHA if you like this bike, tell them to bring it to USA, ALL INFO IN FIRST POST ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The British version of MCN just announced that Yamaha will price the Limited (fully loaded) Tenere at 13,500 pounds, about 1200 pounds more than a R1200GS with the same options. I doubt that it would be that expensive if sold in the US but 16K for the basic model looks pretty realistic.

My intended use of a bike like this would be very much like BadPigg and NoOne have stated -- gravel roads would be all over my long distance rides, instead of carefully omitted. I suppose I'm looking for an FJR that will handle gravel and dirt roads, and be suited to that quarter mile jaunt off the gravel to a camp site on a little rougher roads. Nothing more than that. Yamaha quality, service, dealership attitude, and reliability all weigh heavily for the Super Tenere for me.

Would it be better if it was lighter, much lighter? You bet, but none of these adventure bikes are motocrossers, enduros or even dual sports IMO.

If the planned route requires a motocross or enduro bike, I'm probably getting too old to be that interested anymore. A bike suited for fire trails and the better old mining roads at its extreme is what I'm looking for. I'd probably keep the KLR for the rougher local stuff and weekend camping there, but it is just too uncomfortable to think about taking it to Montana, Idaho or British Columbia for a couple weeks, where I've looked down several gravel roads with desire, but decided that I don't want to abuse an FJR I love too much to want to diminish its service life. Heck, this bike looks to be perfect for a lot of roads around WFO9. Not that anyone will have one there.

I see this as a likely garage replacement for a beautiful farkled XX that I just don't ride that much anymore, bears a high insurance premium based upon performance, and which nearly always still tempts me to rack up performance awards from impressed LEOs.

I like the bike simply because I'm 6'5", and like the thought of lets of legroom, with a high torque engine. Truthfully, I would probably not take it off road at all, but it is nice to know you can. PLUS, Yamaha's shaft drives are proven durable (unlike the BMWs of late). That being said, I'm still planning to ride my FJR until it dies.
I'm right there with you. With a 36" inseam, my legs get cramped on long trips. That's even with a custom seat in top position that adds another 3/4" to its height.
So, if you guys are intending to keep your FJR's, would you really be willing to spend 16K for a Tenere so you could maybe take it off road someday? There are a lot less expensive options to have that capability. I currently have a 2004 DL1000 that I bought before my first FJR. It has a Wilber's shock and Ohlins springs in the forks, a very smooth ride on pavement, and does pretty good on gravel roads but I seldom take it anywhere...the only reason it is still in my garage is for the off pavement capability...but its only worth about $4500 so it isn't costing me that much to keep it. Like half the members of this board, I am thinking about an Alaska trip, but unless Deadhorse or Inuvik is a destination, I think I will take the FJR.
It's not likely I'd keep the FJR if I were to buy this (or any other) bike. It's not practical to keep 2 bikes in the garage as my free time to enjoy even 1 bike is limited to say the least. With that in mind, I'm actually looking 2 years ahead to what my next bike will be. A bike with a relaxed, upright riding position and (very relaxed) leg angle will be high on the list. So far - and as much as I hate to admit it, I've found that BMWs fit me better than just about anything currently on the market - including the DL1000 which I've ridden. If the 1200 ST is coming to the US, it'll be very high on the list with a sincere hope that it fits. I've had a great experience with Yamaha and, as they say, don't fix it if it's not broke.

hmmmm

1) IPAD

2) SUPER TENERE 1200

3) HEALTH CARE SUMMIT

it's been quite a year

hmmmm

1) IPAD

2) SUPER TENERE 1200

3) HEALTH CARE SUMMIT

it's been quite a year
Re-1) IPAD is SWEET, needs USB port, camera, more memory, and a few others small things (that are heading our way)

Re-2) MOST AWESOME MACHINE FOR ME EVER BUILT... lol Call Yamaha to get it in the USA

Re-3)LOL... Health Care ? BBbbbwbwbbwwwwhhhhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Yesterday was a JOKE ! whole nother subject ! LOL Loved it when The anointed one told John McCain the election was over, and this is was not campaigning... SOB makes my blood boil.

OK, back to fun toughts about the new scooter ! ! ! ! YES, great year for A+ APPLE and A+ YAMAHA, D- the other subject

Tomorrow I'll be at the Montreal bike show to talk to Yamaha about CFR, let me see if I can get any info on the 1200 or the 660 coming over to Canada

Chris

Bike will cost 13,500 pounds in UK thats currently $21,060 OUCH
Article in MCN HERE

R
https://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/20...200-GS-94328231 As much as I do like the bike and its features, Yamaha is going to kill sales due to the pricing structure!

I ride into Mexico off road on a regular basis, like clockwork for many years. And right now in the Southwest, the machine of choice I constantly see in Baja Norte, Sonora Estado and Chihuahua is a BMW R1200GS. Unless Yamaha can get the price of this bike below $16K USD, they're NOT going to compete with the BMW GS's!

Bike will cost 13,500 pounds in UK thats currently $21,060 OUCH
Article in MCN HERE

R
Unless Yamaha can get the price of this bike below $16K USD, they're NOT going to compete with the BMW GS's!
I think you two have hit the nail squarely on the head.

I like the looks of the Tenere but the price makes a Strom (Likely "Man" rather than "Wee") look very attractive to me.

As a couple of riders have stated above delineating their desires for riding this bike, for me it is highways to the fun pot-holed bumpy, tertiary roads, fire roads and hard-packed trails.

If/When it coms to the US, I may be willing to part with the FJR for the Super Tenere...unless I can convince the wife of needing both???

If/When it coms to the US, I may be willing to part with the FJR for the Super Tenere...unless I can convince the wife of needing both???
[SIZE=18pt]EXACTLY[/SIZE] why I'm not married. When I was, even having 1 was problematic, since nearly all funds were earmarked for her priorities. Without that command structure, the FJR, Super Tenere and KLR 650 have convinced me that all 3 may be necessary. Odd bike out may be the XX -- as much as I hate to part with a no longer available, beautiful bike with low miles and many nice farkles, its siren song of speed and beauty may lose out to the practicality of the other 3 (measured against my preferences).

My only gripe with their design is this little doo-hicky

2010-yamaha-XT1200Z-Super-Tenere_VP.jpg

How much will that cost to fix when it goes down on the left side? How much force can it take? The gaurds don't seem to do a good job protecting it.

Trust me, these questions come from experience, not any fanboydom. My bike went down left and right on crappy terrain last year, and some had some suprise in what I thought was soft, manageable falls.

How much will that cost to fix when it goes down on the left side? How much force can it take? The gaurds don't seem to do a good job protecting it.

Trust me, these questions come from experience, not any fanboydom. My bike went down left and right on crappy terrain last year, and some had some suprise in what I thought was soft, manageable falls.
evilmedic13: You're definitely a dirt riding guy, I asked myself the same question. However - Touratech, Hepco & Becker, SW Motech, Happy Trails and Al Jesse will eventually develop guards for the vulnerable and exposed parts on the Yamaha Super Tenere. And you know, they will charge one a pretty penny for them also!

I imagine SW Motech or Givi or others will have better crash bars for this when it becomes readily available (the bike). Also, I think one could devise some metal support inside the cover that has been removed to show the fan apparatus. I also think for the majority of users of this large bike, it will see mostly highway miles anyway and little off road use. However, lots of V-Stroms have made the trip up to Prudhoe Bay as well as FJRs and Connies and many others so what one takes off road is pretty relative I guess.

doctorj

Bike will cost 13,500 pounds in UK thats currently $21,060 OUCHArticle in MCN HERE

R
https://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/20...200-GS-94328231 As much as I do like the bike and its features, Yamaha is going to kill sales due to the pricing structure!
$16,800 for a used BMW -- what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

And how can you compare the price of a used BMW (a 6-year-old design, at least...?) with the price (whatever it is?) of a totaly new, similar design, Yamaha?

Whatever Yamaha charges for their bikes?, they're worth -- or not... :unsure:

I ride into Mexico off road on a regular basis, like clockwork for many years. And right now in the Southwest, the machine of choice I constantly see in Baja Norte, Sonora Estado and Chihuahua is a BMW R1200GS. Unless Yamaha can get the price of this bike below $16K USD, they're NOT going to compete with the BMW GS's!
I don't know the price of a 2010 R1200GS with the de riguer wire-spoke wheels (option) and 'adventure' luggage is -- but, I'm pretty sure it's way on the far side of $20K? How then is Yamaha's version of a bike to do the same thing not worth the same price? :unsure:

Are Yamaha's only for the cheap? Are they, somehow, inferior?

I see this as Yamaha's statement/expression of "We can play that game, too!" If someone were going to race WSBK, for instance, they may pay considerably more for a Yamaha than a BMW? :unsure:

BMW's price is directly proportional to their owner's egos -- has little relation to machinery (IMO)... :rolleyes: