Yamaha Travel Trunk Service Notice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrchooser

Reaction score
Got a really nice note in the mailbox today after being away for a week so this may be old news for you guys. Anyway ...

Yamaha is asking folks with the Yamaha Trunk to contact their dealer. They'll install some new parts to modify the trunks mounting surface and install a new attachment plate designed to prevent the bottom of the trunk from fracturing. They'll also inspect the trunk for fractures but don't say what they will do if any are found.

Also of note is that they say the truck is for use in lieu of the saddlebags- not in addition to. They reason it could result in a overloaded motorcycle. I can only figure they got a load of some of you guys here on the forum and said the Japanese equivalent of shezam when the engineering dept . ran them the numbers ! :p

Anyway there it is, I don't have one of these but thought some of you guys that bought used needed to know about it.

Yep, got the letter and took the bike in for repairs 2 weeks ago. Thanks just in case..

I got the info about the trunk problems from this forum the day after the notice was dated, 6/21/07, from Yamaha. Went to my dealer on the 26th as soon as they opened. They saw my case was already cracked and immediately ordered me a new one. However they thought (because of the way the bulletin is worded) that the new mounting rack was automatically part of this "recall" replacement kit, it wasn't. The new trunk is already in my garage (it was delivered to the dealer on 7/10) and I am only waiting for the new "improved" rack which was ordered on 7/11. The color match is perfect (Cobalt Blue), however I do notice a lot of polishing or buffing type swirls in the clear coat finish but I think they will disappear after I polish it several times. Now I have to move the padded backrest and key cylinder to the new trunk. The new trunk has a full aluminum plate with rubber pads spaced around it. I am curious to see the difference in the mounting rack when it arrives.

Last edited by a moderator: