YES Extended Warranty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McG

Reaction score
I generally do not buy extended warranties because I buy the best product I can afford. Yamaha has been very good to me over the years and even split the cases on my 2000 RoadStar MM to replace a tranny part after 7 years free of charge. I am tending to think the FJR is a solid bike that doesn't need more than the Obligitory 1 Year it comes with but I would like to know what you all think. The dealer is giving me 10% off which ever year incriment I might choose. What do you think!!?

McG

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick search and you will find D&H selling it for $389. For that amount you cant go wrong IMO. I never buy extended warranties but for that amount you get piece of mind for 4 yrs (especially if you pile miles on the bike) and if you decide to sell the bike it is a big plus. Having the YES warranty made the purchasing decision so much easier on my '05.

Just my .02

Done under YES:

Valve guide replacement (ticker fixer upper)

leaking seal on driveshaft housing fixed

fork seal replaced

engine pulled, cases split, 2nd gear replaced

well worth the $389 from D&H

Well, if you got the $389.00 the above is the ticket.

I however opted not to buy the extended warrenty, and considering all the bikes and cars I have owned that never had any problems,and the money I saved by not getting an extended warrenty... I'd say I have come out ahead on the deal.

The Gen II FJR seems fairly bullit proof, and no real issures other then stuff covered under that first year warrenty have been reported.

If something does go wrong...I just figure that money I saved from not buying the extended warrenties over all these years will likely be more than adaquete to cover the costs needed.

Paying money for this is to me is simply gambling... unless your lucky, or is it unlucky? You'll never need what your paying for..........

So, gamble or not, it's up to you......

KM

So far, I got my fairing pocket replaced for free!

My bike (bought used) came with the YES or I might not have bought it, and still would have gotten my valve guides repaired with no out-of-pocket. No other real issues yet, and my YES expires in August.

Well, if you got the $389.00 the above is the ticket.
I however opted not to buy the extended warrenty, and considering all the bikes and cars I have owned that never had any problems,and the money I saved by not getting an extended warrenty... I'd say I have come out ahead on the deal.

The Gen II FJR seems fairly bullit proof, and no real issures other then stuff covered under that first year warrenty have been reported.

If something does go wrong...I just figure that money I saved from not buying the extended warrenties over all these years will likely be more than adaquete to cover the costs needed.

Paying money for this is to me is simply gambling... unless your lucky, or is it unlucky? You'll never need what your paying for..........

So, gamble or not, it's up to you......

Then I guess I am lucky. I've got an 06 just like yours and my starter switch went bad while I was on tha road. I am sure that the entire ordeal would have been 500 bucks but I had the warranty and got away clean.

My take is that warranties usually cost too much but there is a point in which iffin they get low enough, then it's a nobrainer. 400.00? my buddy up in Rochester, NY just traided off his chevy truck because he was spending 250.00 a week for gas.

KM

Quick search and you will find D&H selling it for $389. For that amount you cant go wrong IMO. I never buy extended warranties but for that amount you get piece of mind for 4 yrs (especially if you pile miles on the bike) and if you decide to sell the bike it is a big plus. Having the YES warranty made the purchasing decision so much easier on my '05.
Just my .02

+1

Bought my 07' in Nashville, TN and a week later I sent a check to D&H (Cullman, Al) for the Y.E.S.

If you keep your bike for the entire Y.E.S. period, and you break it down, you pay less than $100/yr for the peace of mind. Well, worth it to me.

New cam chain, tensioner, and guides as well as a final drive seal replaced at 4 years and 110,000 miles. Didn't cost me a dime. For $389, get the 4 year Y.E.S. from D&H.

I bought it for peace of mind and since I plan on travelling with this beast it can be fixed anywhere for free. One less thing you will have to worry about on your travels. I plan on putting well over 20k a yr on this bike.

Is 400 dollars really that much? For the cost of a set of tires you have peace for 5 yrs.

My .02 is get the YES.

The grand my dealer wanted for it was baloney. The 400 skins that D&H sells it for is a total no brainer. Spend the money.

What do you think!!?
McG
I usually never buy extended warranties because: (1) the seller's margin is often extremely high and, thus, serves as a massive profit generator; (2) many items are built decently enough so that the cost to "self insure" is minimal compared to buying extended warranties; and (3) the percentage of the total item price is so high that it makes little sense (for example, the computer warranty that costs $199 on a computer that only cost $800).

With all that said, I bought the Y.E.S. warranty because of the price and peace-of-mind with consideration of the percent of total FJR cost. $400 on a $12000+ vehicle is pretty good. Spread that across the life of the warranty and the percentage is ridiculously low. One claim and it pays for itself. No claim and you just chalk the cost of the warranty up as "insurance" ... something you should have but never want to use.

I say get the warranty for the bike .... but not for the computer or the big-screen tv.

Additionally, if this won't be a long-term purchase, it's nice thing to put in the classified ad when you go to sell it.

I'm usually not keen on extended warranties either, but this one is a great value.

One side case and a gas cap...both with latching issues. About $700 value between the two....coverage in case there's a small chance of being a ticker. Compared to the $400 I paid for the warranty....no brainer.

Replaced shock and front fender (within the 1-year warranty period at about 6K miles). New cam chain, tensioner, and guides, final drive seal, and one fairing fastener at 52K miles on my Gen 1 ('05). By happy coincidence, the cam chain warranty work was needed right when I needed my second valve adjustment, so the dealer used the warranty to pay a large part of the labor needed (i.e., removal of the fairing and top end, since that was required for both jobs). Zac at Roseville Yamaha came through again :clapping: .