Yet another HID experiment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone here see these ?

found these kits on ebay, and thought they look promising.

telescopic bi-xenon, with smaller than normal (at least they look smaller than normal) ballasts.

also the listing specifically states that the capsule is designed to NOT alter the beam cast of the stock H4 Halogen bulbs.

im thinking about ordering a set and see how it goes.

bmwhd.... what do you think ?

itme # 130129669921

jason

Last edited by a moderator:
I got another ballast right from China for $30 shipped, and it showed today. It works, and my HID setup is complete.

Don't deal with the MC Motoring guy, but the kit he sells (that lots of others sell) seems to be ok.

Oh well, it was worth a shot I guess. Good luck getting it sorted out.

and while im looking for a kit... whats the difference between H4-1 H4-2 H4-3 and H4-4 ?

i thought that ALL H4 globes were the same (apart from wattage that is....)

the kit that i postd in my earlier post was a H4-3 telescopic Bi-Xenon type.

that will fit the FJR won't it ?

Jason

No, the extra number designation has to do with the type of light source.

H4-1 is a single beam (low only)

H4-2 is a dual beam, but the high beam is an extra halogen bulb.

H4-3 is typically a moving source solenoid operated telescoping light source (hi/low)

H4-4 is a dual beam, non moving Hi/Lo with two light sources (and two ballasts) per "bulb".

@FJRocket

thanks for the clarification.

im going to order a set of them today... the balasts look like the smallest i have seen so far.

also, the seller claims that the capsules have been designed to NOT alter the beam.

ill post my results after i get them in. im going to order the 6000K ones.

jason

Just received my H4 telescopic kit I ordered off eBay - looks identical to the kit in OP's thread.

Started ripping the nose fairing off last night but i have a question - there is one screw tucked away in the right side in front of the battery that is a biatch to get at - for those of you who have removed the nose cowling, did you need to remove the battery to get at it or is there an easier way?

Okay managed to get the f'ing screw out so no worries (I hope - now have to figure out how to get it back in when I reassemble).

anyone here see these ?
found these kits on ebay, and thought they look promising.

telescopic bi-xenon, with smaller than normal (at least they look smaller than normal) ballasts.

also the listing specifically states that the capsule is designed to NOT alter the beam cast of the stock H4 Halogen bulbs.

im thinking about ordering a set and see how it goes.

bmwhd.... what do you think ?

itme # 130129669921

jason
The picture in that auction does not appear to be of the correct type of bulb. I can't see any telescoping solenoids. However, it's not uncommon for them to post the wrong picture with an auction. I'd email them first.

that is the case here.

he uses the same picture for ALL of his HID auctions....

i wil however confirm that they are the telescopic type that moves the light sorce,

and not the butterfly type. so far my communications with him have been good, and quick.

jason

i ended up buying these ones....

i hope i have not made an expensive mistake here.....

item # 320132795003 ebay seller id hidking.

the listing does not specifically say "telescopic" but it does say dual beam hi/lo

and it does look like there is some sort of device at the base of the globe....

can someone put my mind at ease ? have i bought the right type ?

jason

i ended up buying these ones....
i hope i have not made an expensive mistake here.....

item # 320132795003 ebay seller id hidking.

the listing does not specifically say "telescopic" but it does say dual beam hi/lo

and it does look like there is some sort of device at the base of the globe....

can someone put my mind at ease ? have i bought the right type ?

jason
The one picture at the top of the auction looks correct so I think you're good.

It looks like you all are on on the road to the hot setup. I think I'll be keeping mine the way it is now, one low beam and one driving beam, left on in daytime, and then adding the Solteks for serious night vision.

I can't justify tossing aside a setup I paid almost $300.00 for, then spending another $150.00 on top of the Soltek purchase price. That would be well over a grand just in lights.

With the Solteks and one HID headlight burning, it should consume about 125 watts or less, leaving more than enough juice for some heated grips! Just gotta find a spot for the Soltek switch....

Just received my H4 telescopic kit I ordered off eBay - looks identical to the kit in OP's thread.
Started ripping the nose fairing off last night but i have a question - there is one screw tucked away in the right side in front of the battery that is a biatch to get at - for those of you who have removed the nose cowling, did you need to remove the battery to get at it or is there an easier way?
Had mine apart this weekend; I removed the lower fairing 1st, then I loosened that screw with a regular L shaped allen wrench, then took it the rest of the way out with a ball end allen screwdriver. Very much a pita.

-wr

also just found these...

super slim small ballasts. these might be just the ticket for those of us that are spacially

challenged...

ebay item # 320135476813

jason

2 things wrong:

1) The wires coming don't seem to be anything like what the other ballasts have

2) $100 bills? What is this, pimp my HID?

The bigger ballasts do fit, you just have to work at it.

also just found these...
super slim small ballasts. these might be just the ticket for those of us that are spacially

challenged...

ebay item # 320135476813

jason

also just found these...

challenged...

ebay item # 320135476813

jason
Wow! If those could be made to work, that would really make installation a snap! It's almost worth the money just to try. Those would definitely fit below the headlight housing in the chin fairing.

One thing that caught my eye, Maybe they are not the H/L setup?

[SIZE=14pt]100% BRAND NEW SINGLE HID XENON BALLAST ONLY.[/SIZE]

Let's compare...

721d_1_sbl.JPG

And the new contender....

miniballast1ce2.jpg

they are obviously different, due to the thickness of the units, they cant plug the harness into it,

hence the wires with sockets instead of sockets directly in the balasts themselves.

im almost tempted to have a go at them myself. the seller claims that they will work with all hid kits that they sell

i got my hid kit from them, they say it's 100% plug and play.....

i might email them and see what they say.....

@galaxyblue since that balasts dont actually controll the hi / lo switching, it should not matter....

jason