YFO 2017 Yosemite Group Ride Planning Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! New to this thread, but just noticed this YFO trip to Mariposa. Yeah, i know, i live under a rock. I'm from the area, Stockton to be exact, and would het a charge out of seein a bunch of FJR's all farkled up n pretty, so i could get some ideas for my 15 from all you guys from all over yonder! Spent a lot of time in the Sierras and as far as the passes go Ebbetts on Highway 4 almost always opens before Sonora on 108 because the grade on Sonora is significantly steeper near the top. Coming up from the south is a good idea and then going back, even if both passes were still closed, you could go 49 to Jackson and over 88 and get to either South Lake Tahoe or go south over Monitor (89) to hit 395, and that whole way is just bee-yoo-tifulfor sure. A lunch stop at Kit Carson Lodge on Silver Lake before you get to Caples Lake and the Carson summit is a great lodge with cabins on the lake. I'd just like to know if i could join you folks for a day at Mariposa Lodge and see what all the fuss is about (and for purely selfish reasons, sit on your bikes and see what some of those custom seats (like a Lammb) or some Helibar risers feel like!) I think ive definitely fallen behind on my upgrades. How bout it? Room for one more FJ Dork? Daniel
Hi Daniel! Welcome to the FJR funny farm! If you can find a place to crash for the night, by all means come on along. there's a separate room share thread so maybe check there to see if anyone has some room for Friday night. There is a group dinner on Saturday night as well so if interested, find that thread and follow the instructions ASAP! The majority will be on FJRs but there were be a few other makes/models as we don't discriminate based on brand.
wink.png
I'll respond to your msg in the other thread re swag.
cool.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OK! I found a place to stay for Friday night, right across the street from the Circus (Mariposa Lodge all booked of course). I'll have a good view when the authorities show up! ANYWAY, wanted to let all you out-of-staters know about a website that is just the BEST for California cycle roads. I've found so many great rides on this site, you might or might not know about it, but the folks from Cali will. Its at :

The site explains how Pashnit came into being over 20 years ago, and Tim also does guided motorcycle tours. Great site. Other California riders prolly know more about all this than I do, but thought you guys should check it out.

Workin' on the Swag from Stockton Yamaha! See ya Friday, oh Yeah! Ride careful all you maniacs, there's a lot of crazy people on the roads

Dan

"Love is the Feeling You get when you like something as much as Your Motorcycle" - Hunter Thompson

I thought maybe this was an organized ride planning thread (as the name suggests)...

so is there any way to join a ride say Friday, Saturday or Sunday?

Meeting place, departure point, etc??

I thought maybe this was an organized ride planning thread (as the name suggests)...so is there any way to join a ride say Friday, Saturday or Sunday?

Meeting place, departure point, etc??
It started out as a ride planning thread for those coming from far away... I'm sure it will become a ride planning thread for when in the area... like right now.

My plan is to head into the park Friday morning to play lookie loo... I've been to Yosemite a bunch of times and never tire of the sights, sounds, and scenery... out to Glacier Point, down to the valley floor, visit the waterfalls, etc. maybe have lunch at Ahwahnee. It will be a very relaxed day at posted speed limits but stopping often to enjoy the splendor and take some photos.

Saturday I have a route in mind to visit a favorite picnic spot of mine near Shaver Lake... I've been asked to NOT post it to keep the surprise fresh and anyone is welcome to join in the fun... it's about 200+ miles of goat-ish roads and some smooth/creamy twisties to boot... pace will be mellow-ish... there will be lots of folks going lots of different directions at different paces... Thursday and Friday evenings in the parking lot will be the place to be to find the folks you might want to commune with on Friday or Saturday. B)

Ok. So here's then a question:

I have to stop by hunnington lake at some point. Just for about 10 minutes. I was gonna stop by on the way up to mariposa.

Would your Saturday ride allow me time to head up to Huntington? I am very familiar with that area so if you don't want to spoil a surprise can you PM me the answer?

I can tell you exactly what I need to do and where I need to go if it helps.

Ok. So here's then a question:I have to stop by hunnington lake at some point. Just for about 10 minutes. I was gonna stop by on the way up to mariposa.

Would your Saturday ride allow me time to head up to Huntington? I am very familiar with that area so if you don't want to spoil a surprise can you PM me the answer?

I can tell you exactly what I need to do and where I need to go if it helps.
I think that can be arranged. PM coming shortly. ;)

Hi All:

I'm not able to attend the YFO clambake , but I did spend the day on the feejer in the general area and you are in for a treat!

Thoughts:

1. The Merced River along Highway 140 is running at roughly 8000cfs, and is quite impressive. In the El Portal area just below the park entrance it is basically white foam. Places that we fly fish in the fall are almost unrecognizable. Do not be tempted to stop and soak your feet - if you to slip in you will not be found...

2. If you have a chance to ride north on highway 49 past Bear Valley you will drop into what's called the "Little Dragon", some of the best twisties you will ever find. the road surface right now is fantastic, but do watch a few places where some sand has been kicked up on the road. There are some tar snakes but they are not all that slippery.

3. I did not go into Yosemite Valley as I knew the crowds would have been exceptional. There were temporary signs saying there was NO parking and wait times would be very long. When in the valley, have your A game along as there are so many cars a motorcycle becomes almost invisible. The scenery of course is world class....

4. If you are in Coulterville (once you are past the Little Dragon) there is a pretty good little lunch place called the Coulterville Cafe with nice outside seating. It's on a side street just up from the old Jeffery Hotel (which is now closed).

5. There is a good dinner place in Mariposa called The Charles Street Dinner House. I had a good prime rib a there a few years ago.

6. Temps were warm today in Mariposa, but very tolerable.

Have a great time.

Brian the biknflyfisher

I've been in touch with CAJW, aka John, a forumite who lives right in the middle of some of the best riding in that whole area, and knows those roads better than any of us. John's got his grandkids coming in and won't be able to do the whole of YFO, but WILL be able to lead a ride on Friday morning, which he mentioned in one of these threads. I understand it will be north from home base and include the Little Dragon in the post above, take in the famous Old Priest Grade, and loop back toward Coulterville by some nice back roads--scenic, twisty, and empty. Not too long of a day.

Of course, another option for Friday is to go into the park, as Tyler posted. Memorial Day Weekend is always considered the beginning of the summer season, and summers can be awful busy in the park, so maybe Friday is better than Saturday to think about getting inside and seeing it. It's even possible you might want to see it more than once. :) The entrance gate could end up being a bottle neck, so be prepared for a possible wait, whatever day you do it. If traffic inside the park is slow, though, no problem. You'll want to go slow just to look.

I'm starting to get my act together. Looking at maps, routes, things I want to see, etc. I know it's selfish of me, but Boy-o-boy, I sure wish I could make this a 3 week trip!!
Some time ago, I expressed an interest in doing some day hiking in Yosemite. Based on what I'm looking at now, I can't see myself getting to YFO before Thursday. I could easily be convinced to stay an extra night, and do some hiking when most of other others are heading home. Or I could forego a riding day during YFO and just hang out in the park.

I was wondering if anyone has given this some thought?

Edit - the other thing I'm starting to consider is whether or not bringing the camping gear on this trip would be practical? Between home and YFO, based on my general route anticipation, I can't see camping in the heat. I suppose the climate at YFO might be good, but I'm all set in the lodge with the rest of you. After YFO, I'm planning to run through Utah and Western Colorado. So.... for those of you that know, in early June, will it be comfortable at higher elevations in Utah and Colorado?
I think its just luck - back in '12 Brodie and I covered most of Utah including south towards the Grand Staircase Escalante on Highway 12 and though it was warm, it was totally tolerable and probably the best road I've ever ridden. I'd recommend that after crossing the blast furnace of Nevada, you head towards Zion and Bryce, then east on 12 past the Grand Staircase and then north to Capitol Reef NP. After that you can wind east in any number of tracks - east on 24, then southeast on 95, then northeast on CO141 to Grand Junction would be an awesome route.