Yosemite?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave

Reaction score
I've missed out on the last couple group rides due to work so, I'm planning to take my vacation there. Labor Day week 4th-7th. I've never been there so I'm looking for advice on where to go and what to see. I'm not into camping at my age so a nice motel inside or outside the park? Restraunts? Places to ride? What to take? Riding from Bakersfield.

Thanks to all,

dave

I've missed out on the last couple group rides due to work so, I'm planning to take my vacation there. Labor Day week 4th-7th. I've never been there so I'm looking for advice on where to go and what to see. I'm not into camping at my age so a nice motel inside or outside the park? Restraunts? Places to ride? What to take? Riding from Bakersfield.Thanks to all,

dave
Dave,

First off, be prepared for crowds that weekend, if possible, put it off a week or two. Be prepared for cold weather, things change in a hurry up there, but normally it's nice that time of year. Having said that, plan on visiting Glacier Point on the way in, then hit Yosemite valley. Yosemite falls, Bridal veil falls etc.. have good hiking opportunities if you're interested. Mirror lake has a nice view of Half Dome without all the hiking involved (Natl park tram last time I was there was the way to get up to Mirror Lake) and the Ahwanee Hotel is a classy place with rates to match. There is other lodging available, but you'll need to search that out as I've always camped while there. Follow 41 north to Tioga pass for some more spectacular views if you have time, in any part of the park that you visit, you won't be dissapointed.

Oakhurst is a great place to stay. The ride down from the Yosemite Valley to Oakhurst is the best I think. Long drive lots of curves and half as much traffic as the west enterance. Oakhurst is considered the south enterance. The hotels are nice and less expensive. Bass Lake is a great place to stop for lunch or dinner. There is also a KOA with Cabins that is fairly accessable from either the west or south enterance so its a great place to stay with lots of options. Its north of of miraposa in Midpines. The road from Oakhurst to Miraposa is also a great road. My in laws live of this road.

The one thing I can say is Go The Speed Limit. There are more CHP in this area than I see on an average day traveling in So Cal. One night we saw five (5) yes 5 CHP having dinner in Miraposa. That about 10% of the population of the town.

Not sure where you are coming from and how long you are staying. However you could hit Yosemite Valley stay one night, then cruise to Oakhurst stay one night and then over to Midpines. I could do this in a day however it wouldn't leave a lot of time to enjoy.

I would absolutly hit the giant trees at the south end of the park on the way out to oakhusrt. There is also an old train that serves dinner and a show. It was on Huel Howser. I didnt care for it however the wife did.

There is a resteraunt and bar in Miraposa on the corner of the 140 and 49 at the north end of town. I think its Miners in. We have eaten there several times. Its a favorite stop on the way in or out to the in-laws or back and forth from lake McClure when we boat there in the summer.

Was supposed to be up their for the whole month of august after WFO however some things fell through.

There is also some caves and a mine up that way. Actually to the west of Yosemite that are fun to visit. And several old mining towns. Columbia, Jamestown and cant remmeber the other two. Google search will find it. Most people kind of do the old mining town circle through these four towns. Miraposa also is supposed to have the oldest courthouse in CA if I recall correctly. Also in a small town of Horitos outside of Miraposa is where the ghirardelli name got started with a mercantile. Its a small town. All 5 CHP live here, LOL. Basically almost deserted and broken down. We drive through it on the way to the lake.

Ride safe, enjoy and plan around the valley (which is impossible) because it will be bumper to bumper just for the section that goes through the valley to the retail area.

Thanks guys for all the info. After checking rates and availability I'm leaning toward Oakhurst. I'm hoping by going up on Tues. after the holiday the traffic won't be as thick. I've also heard that hwy.120 to June Lake is a good ride. Thanks for the CHP warning too!!!

dave

Sorry Dave to say that the Valley is a disappointment; too many people, no water falls & NO lodgging!

Go to Mammoth Lakes or the Carson Valley (Lake Tahoe) Great rooms lot's of passes to Ride.

But ride THUR the Park & Valley but go to the Eastern Sierra's

The ride down 395, June Lake Loop, Mammoth area, Extra-terrestrial Highway...lots of good riding on the Eastern slopes.

Absolute Best Suggested Lunch Stop: Whoa Nellie Deli. At the bottom of Hwy 120 @ Hwy 395, Mobil (?) station on the right...trust me, you WANT to have lunch there.

The ride down 395, June Lake Loop, Mammoth area, Extra-terrestrial Highway...lots of good riding on the Eastern slopes.
Absolute Best Suggested Lunch Stop: Whoa Nellie Deli. At the bottom of Hwy 120 @ Hwy 395, Mobil (?) station on the right...trust me, you WANT to have lunch there.
Whoa Nellie Deli -- Oh yeah !! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go here

DSC00937.jpg

The Valley

DSC00951.jpg

Tioga

DSC00948.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

Valley

DSC00958.jpg

DSC00965.jpg

I like it pretty much anywhere in Yosemite. Remember, lane sharing is legal, and being in a hurry doesn't help you see anything. Take your time and look around :)

Remember, you make your decisions and you pay for them. If you don't see anything of value from the valley that is your decision and you've decided to be blind.

---if you can dig existentialism.

OK, I'm booked in Oakhurst and after seeing the pictures raring to go! I'll definitely make it up the valley and then some. Thanks for all the advice, and the philosophy......

this ride may change my life!!

dave

I know you booked in Oakhurst but Mariposa is also very nice. We were just there and found a nice old hotel on main street run by a little old lady. I think it was called the Mariposa inn. She doesn't have a web site but she is listed in the phonebook.

Don't forget to take a chill pill before taking 120 across Yosemite. The combination of heavy tourist traffic including underpowered vehicles pulling heavily-laden trailers, the great curves and your FJR's power W-I-L-L tempt you into high-speed passes. Downside: Hwy 120 is heavily enforced.

That said, I fell to the temptation in July 2005 but received no performance award for my effort.

Hwy 49 northwest of Oakhurst is very nice. Just watch for sand and gravel in the corners from trucks and cars pulling into the road.

I've missed out on the last couple group rides due to work so, I'm planning to take my vacation there. Labor Day week 4th-7th. I've never been there so I'm looking for advice on where to go and what to see. I'm not into camping at my age so a nice motel inside or outside the park? Restraunts? Places to ride? What to take? Riding from Bakersfield.Thanks to all,

dave
So how was it. Any Pictures?

dave
So how was it. Any Pictures?

It was awesome! I have no idea why I've never been there before. I spent so much time in and around the valley(taking pictures) I never did make it to Tioga but, that's my excuse to go back in the spring. I'm thinking next time I'll take 395 to the 120. Here's the link to my album:

https://pictures.aol.com/galleries/dstra224...1189223361690.1

Thanks again to everybody for the tips.

dave