You guys got me going on the AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripletango

Reaction score
In another thread we discussed some of the aspects of riding the AE. I figured it might be a good idea to list some of the things that may help fellow AE riders.

Add your comments as I know you will!

1. If you are in the twisties use the back brake to adjust speed of entry into the corner. It is easy to control the bike as it stays level on the entry. Remember the brakes are linked.

2. If you are stopped for any length of time shift to neutral that way you won't fall off the bike if you blip the throttle for any reason :rolleyes:

3. For low speed maneuvers use the throttle and control speed with the rear brake. See next comment and use here if possible

4. In traffic stay in second for stop and go. The take off is much smoother as the clutch slips a little just like you were clutching it with a manual clutch

5. Always get down to the lowest gear you want to use on take off before you stop. Don't forget as trying to down shift when you take off is a noisy crunching jerky pos situation that is not good for the gear box. Other option is to shift down while all the other idiots honk at you as the light is green. Just takes a little more time but it is worth it.

6. Change gear like you are on a regular bike. When shifting up just a little flick back of the throttle will result is a much faster shift than if you hold wot. With wot the computer retards ignition to reduce power to save the clutch. This is slow!!

When down shifting blip the throttle as you select a lower gear. Takes practice can be done though.

OK there are mine whats yours?

I would disagree with starting off in second gear. Slipping the clutch that much aint a good idea. That's why the nuber 2 is blinking when you are stopped. You can start off just as smooth in first gear. Also if your sitting stopped in second and you have to get out of the way fast your dead because it aint gonna happen. Everything else I say is ok if you want to ride like that.

True but if you have to take off hard it is easy to change down. Other than full throttle starts in second I don't think you are really hurting the clutch.

I like the clutch engagement rate in first when the bike is cold. Starting in second when hot is similar at low revs.