Young Guns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubbersidedown

Reaction score
As a new member I posted my mandatory introduction in the proper section, and it was pointed out to me that the average FJR rider age is 50 years. At 22 that puts me pretty close to the bottom of the heap. I was just wondering who else out there has yet to receive their letter from AARP and how long they have been riding and how they ended up with the FJR. Best regards to all, young and old alike.

many times an age survey has been done, already. I think that the median age of an FJR riders is in the mid or early 40's.

many times an age survey has been done, already. I think that the median age of an FJR riders is in the mid or early 40's.
I'm not so interested in the accuracy of the statement but more in hearing from members in similar situations to me. I by no means mean to clutter the board with redundant topics. Just trying to make a few acquaintances.

I'm 31 myself, which puts me on the younger side of the forum members. Most people my age or younger don't have the interest in distance riding that calls for a machine such as the FJR. Most, for that matter, don't have the financial means either. So, you're a bit unique on two points already. Most riders your age are busy making their 600cc sportbike faster and then only ride it from home to the local bar and back.

There is a contingent affectionately referred to as "Vintage FJR" owners (or something similar that sounds more PC than "old farts" :p ). Don't make the mistake of thinking that old equals slow. Most FJR owners are on the bike for the same reasons and those reasons have very little to do with age.

I'm 26. Got my first FJR in early 2007 when I was 24. I had actually been wanting one since I was about 21. I just like the nice combination of power, comfort, style and practicality. I haven't really made use of its long distance capabilities yet; just a couple 500 - 700 mile weekend trips. I mostly use it as a daily commuter during the summer, local wandering on weekends and running errands (it surprises me every time how many groceries can actually fit into the side cases). The practicality of the bike means I get more excuses to ride it, like when the wife is cooking dinner and discovers that we're out of milk.

I've been riding since I was 16 (took the MSF course with my mom). Started with a 1982 Yamaha SECA 750 (hand-me-down from my dad), then a 2001 BMW F650GS (the first vehicle I ever purchased by myself), 2007 FJR, then my current 2008 FJR to replace my smashed up 2007.

I guess I still have a bit of the young crotch-rocket urge in me, but not enough to sacrifice the comfort and practicality. Instead, I'm tinkering with the performance of my FJR and taking it to the drag strip occasionally for some legal full-throttle fun :)

Based on responses I thought I had better jump in here and get the average age up. I will be 68 in less than a week but the Feejer makes me much younger.

Statistics show there is a greatly increased risk of serious injury or death for riders under the age of 25. Your job is to ride safe so you get to be as old and smart as the rest of us. Our job is to provide you with a wealth of experience and information, should you be inclined to ask for it, that will help you get the most out of your FJR.

Funny how a lot of self-described Young Guns end up getting f_cked by the fickle finger of fate and end up as roadkill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had just turned 23 when I got my FJR...

Holy crap, that was like 2 years ago now. I still feel like my bike is brand new.

And I'm still upset that it doesn't do anything about this 'winter' stuff. In the brochure there wasn't any snow on the roads...the grass was even green. Green!

Statistics show there is a greatly increased risk of serious injury or death for riders under the age of 25. Your job is to ride safe so you get to be as old and smart as the rest of us. Our job is to provide you with a wealth of experience and information, should you be inclined to ask for it, that will help you get the most out of your FJR.
Funny how a lot of self-described Young Guns end up getting f_cked by the fickle finger of fate and end up as roadkill.
Couldn't agree more. Most of the younger riders I know are on crotch rockets and tell stories about their top speed and what kind of wreck they survived. I listen and shake my head. The reason I didn't get my motorcycle license until I was almost 22 is that I watched my mom suffer through a couple years of recovery and knew that I wasn't ready. I wanted to learn the ways of the road and ins and outs of traffic with a "bubble" around me. Even now when people tell me about how they got hit by someone, in a car or on a bike, and say it was no fault of their own I wonder if they understand that no one on the road is looking out for you except YOU, and that it is how you prepare for that that makes you safe.

I'm not one of those snotty nose young whipper snappers! ;) I have an AARP card in my wallet, but I'm only 45 years old. How can that be, you ask? My wife is a cradle robber (she just turned 50) and because she qualifies for AARP, I get a spousal membership.

I've ridden sport bikes (or what passed for sport bikes in those days) for my whole life. I would have never considered a FJR in my younger years. But 1.5 years ago I traded in my CBR1100XX and bought the FJR for more comfort but still a sporty bike. As i get older, is a Goldwing in my future?

I'm 33 as well... bought the bike at 31 but I'd been drooling over the FJR for a couple years before that.

chrisflock you are showing your youth. Us old guys know those brochures and all advertising are just BS. I am sorry you live in Wisconsin where it snows and stays cold all winter. Harald you will be happy to know that at 68 I am finding the FJR to be the right ride. I have already done the GW and HD dresser thing and the FJR is much better. JMO

Latest posts