Zhiyun Z1 Rider 3 axis gimbal for GoPro

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdrasher

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with gimbals?

I'm looking for tips on using this thing.

I just bought a 3-axis gimbal called a Rider Z1 by Zhiyun.

It fits my GoPro and is supposed to be awesome for creating steady video shots.

I'm looking to get some cool on bike video during my 6 state ride through the Southeast in 2 weeks.

Hopefully I can get a few practice rides in with this gimbal before the trip, so I can work out the best mounting spots and angles to video from.

4tcUy01l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no experience with this model, so can offer no direct tips on it's usage. Because I have a quest to find an inexpensive bike mounted pendulum system I will be very interested how this works for you.

I have used various bike camera mounts for action cams and have even tried to adapt a Moza AirCross gimbal. They all work to a certain degree, but none have been that 'magic' mount. I think your first challenge will be the mounting location and attachment method. In the description of the Rider Z1 by Zhiyun it says a movement can be easily restricted by simply holding the axis for 1 second. This is interesting.

What I want is to mount the camera in a forward looking position, then allow only the roll axis to function, which would then be a pendulum. As the bike leaned in the turns, the camera would remain level with the horizon. The pan and tilt should remain locked to follow the bike direction.

The other challenge I have found is the reduction of the engine vibration through the frame. Some cameras have built in stabilization, such as the Hero 5, but that is electronic and works fairly well to reduce handheld movement, but not so good to correct the small constant engine vibration that is transmitted through the frame and fairings. The best I have found for this is helmet mounted where the riders body actually absorbs most of the mechanical vibrations. I also use stabilization in post production, but regardless of the system, Vegas Pro, Resolve, Mercalli or even Twixster, they have limitation when they try to reduce the vibration and also the typical forward speeds of motorcycles. On the other hand, the results you get may be acceptable to you.

Depending on the exact location of the camera from your reach, having a remote control or interface to a smart app may be desirable. And, off course, protection from the elements may be something of concern. The Hero 5 doesn't require a housing, but the earlier models do (to protect against rain) and this unit doesn't provide for mounting earlier models in a housing (I don't think so). In that case, it would be a fair weather rig, which would make sense because I don't think this gimbal would do well in the rain anyway!

And, there is the audio to work out. Audio is a mess with camera mounted rigs, if that is important to your production. If not, then it is of no concern. I run a mic from my GoPro to various positions depending if I want to speak or just pickup the exhaust. Internal mics work well until under speed, then the wind noise is horrible. If you attach an external mic, obviously the leads need to be flexible enough not to impede the correction movement of the gimbal.

Your plan to test and rehearse the use is a good one. There is a learning curve to using gimbals handheld and even more so rigging them to a bike. I look forward to seeing some of your results and wish you the best. I am also interested in photos of how you mounted, with the intent of stealing your ideas!