Zumo 450 comes with City Navigator, right?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
I have a 2610. Good GPS. But the software/maps are a few years old. Instead of upgrading maps, I was thinking of buying a new GPS that would come WITH the software and a CD of the newest maps. So instead of 100 dollars for a CD of maps, I'd spend maybe 300 - 400 for a GPS with the upgraded maps and (hopefully) CD of them.

This would allow me to have TWO GPS's with the newest maps. one for the car, and one for the bike.

So is the Zumo 450 the one I need to get? Is that the same software used in the 2610 (the one that does NOT speak the street names)? Or is there a better way?

Alexi

PS - I am also ok with buying a cheap, but working car unit and using the software to upgrade my 2610. But this is all assuming that these units aren't all coming "preprogrammed" and I am actually GETTING a CD of the newest maps and software. Which I don't know if I am or aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I upgraded from a 2610 to the Zumo 450. A better and easier to use GPS IMHO. I do not know if it says the street names or not. I do not have the audio installed. On my FJR I use the GPS, a CB with an XM radio going thru the preamp on the CB. So, no place to get the sound from the GPS. It uses the same software but I believe you have to have unlock codes for each GPS unit you use the Map Source programs for. I Hope this helped a bit.

I upgraded from a 2610 to the Zumo 450. A better and easier to use GPS IMHO. I do not know if it says the street names or not. I do not have the audio installed. On my FJR I use the GPS, a CB with an XM radio going thru the preamp on the CB. So, no place to get the sound from the GPS. It uses the same software but I believe you have to have unlock codes for each GPS unit you use the Map Source programs for. I Hope this helped a bit.

The Zumo units use City Navigator NT. The 2610 does not.

Regardless of which Garmin you get, you are only authorized to use the mapset with that particular unit. Likewise, if you purchase a new updated mapset for a unit that you already own, you will only be able to use it with that GPS.

One mapset = one GPS (unless you pay a fee to Garmin for another unlock code).

The maps for the new unit will not move over to the 2610. Even without the difference in the NT and non-NT they wouldn't, because the keycode is locked to the GPS receiver. Routes from the new software would not load onto the 2610.

The difference (as I understand it) between the NT and older is that the newer receivers have detail maps built in, where the 2610 only has major roads in ROM. With the 2610 and other older units you have to transfer maps from Mapsource into the unit to get street-level detail and POIs. You can't use an NT map package on the 2610 amd you can't use the non-NT package on newer receivers.

The keycode is not copy-protection in the sense of keycodes in most commercial software. It doesn't authorize the software to run on your PC. You could copy the software onto 349,000 PCs and nobody would care. But you can't transfer anything to any GPS receiver other than the one linked to it by the keycode.

You might want to check here Amazon - Garmin And I'm sure there are probably are better prices out there but they also have the 2720 refurbished for $149 with a 1 year warrantee and comes with the new map installed. I bought a new 2720, ( I don't use Bluetooth), a while back from Amazon new for $245. You can get the 2730 now for just a little more than that. There's no comparison really between the 2610 and any newer units as the features are like day and night . Never mind the one for $9,999. Good luck. PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts