Zumo on a Dash Shelf

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnuckleHead

Freedom isn't free.
Reaction score
So I just got a NLine Dash shelf so that I can put my Zumo up there to make it easier to see. I want to put it dead center, but the GPS bracket I got with the shelf requires the Zumo to hang down a couple inches below the shelf. This puts the Zumo directly in the path of the speedo.

So.....is there a bracket out there that will work? I think AuburnFJR had his mounted in the center....Bryan?

Here is what I mean. This is where the bracket would mount the Zumo (note the blocking of the speedo):

Bad.jpg

This is where I would like it to be:

Good.jpg

You may have to fab something up yourself. I took a less elegant approach: a RAM mount and arm. I used a five inch to raise the GPS even further into my field of view. It's been very functional if not as beautiful as a Touratech mount. The added benefit of the RAM mount is a bit of virbration protection.

The N-Line bracket will get you barely high enough if you move the cradle as high as possible in the slots. However, it is a 90 degree bend, and I wanted it slanted back a bit. So, my recommendation is either to make your own bracket or use a Ram mount.

I was concerned about the potential of the shelf to flex in the middle, even with the stiffener, so I mounted a Ram mount on the left side, used the short Ram arm, and was able to get it high enough to clear the brake reservoir when you steer right. I tried a longer 3" Ram arm, but got too much vibration. Note also, you can't go too far forward or you might get contact with the windshield.

I had to get a bracket used on gen 1 shelf, more angle on the bracket, I mounted my Zumo on the left side of shelf, the buttoms are easier to use on the Zumo and I have the XM puck on the shelf behind the Zumo.

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

Does the Zumo 550 have a headphone jack in the unit or the mounting bracket? I cant find that info out on any of the GPS site's. I found a New Zumo 550 for $579 and the XM attenna for $199. Good deal?

Does the Zumo 550 have a headphone jack in the unit or the mounting bracket? I cant find that info out on any of the GPS site's. I found a New Zumo 550 for $579 and the XM attenna for $199. Good deal?
I can't speak as to whether the prices are good, but I can tell you the audio in and out are on the mounts.