Yamaha Top box mounted onto GIVI SR357 Monokey Topcase Mounting Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn

Reaction score
As many have been following the thread FJR Unsuitable for Passenger with Top Box Fitted?

Here is my fix to this problem. As many know I ride 95 % of the time two up with my wife on the back and pull a trailer.

My stock Yamaha grab rails had broken on both sides. My fix was to buy the Givi SR 357 mounting kit and then adapt the factory Yamaha Top Case and mount to fit.

First thing was to separate the Yamaha mount into the top and bottom pieces (here is the bottom - not needed any more. It pries off)

Looking at the bottom of the top piece that you do need. I cut the spacers off so the the bottom of this piece was flat.

I used a piece of 1/4" steel that had a 90 degree angle bent on the front (I had laying around) to fit and drill mounting hole to go to the Give and mounting holes for the existing Yamaha rack to bolt to the plate. I also took advantage of the situation to move the top box back about 2 inches to give the wife more room.

front view (adapter plate is red and the modified Yamaha plastic plate mounted) NOTE: the wire is grounding for the CB antenna) :

jagkTyH.jpg

TSxtkRg.jpg

nHG8Pdo.jpg

It is a lot more stable and the mount is much stronger than before. Now time will tell if this is the right way to go. But the factory set up had failed already.

EDIT:  updated photos that photofucket stopped access too.  The system works really good.  Has survived three trips to Alaska and has about 45,000 miles on it now.  Still solid as ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking fabrication. Love all those drawers ya got in the garage. Just curious, what kind of trailer are you pulling? Hitch doesn't look like a standard 1 7/8 ball.

Gary

Perfect timing for me. I am currently awaiting delivery of an SR357 myself and my plan is to do the very same with my own Yamaha top box. Good piece of work and I too am looking to move the box a little further towards the rear for the same reason.

Nice looking fabrication. Love all those drawers ya got in the garage. Just curious, what kind of trailer are you pulling? Hitch doesn't look like a standard 1 7/8 ball.
Gary
It is a Bushtec. They use a hiem joint to slip over a pin. The top of the pin is covered by a ball that has a key lock built in. They make the hitch also.

Nice job Auburn!

Looks like the bolt spread on the SR357 will even add a bit more stability for the truck mount.

--G