• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Russell Day-Long Touring Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
[SIZE=36pt]WE WERE JUST GIVEN A 20% DISCOUNT FOR ALL ORDERS PLACED BEFORE NOVEMBER 30TH, 2008! [/SIZE]I just got off the phone with Heather at Russell and I thought I would start a post for those of you thinking about buying a seat. The special will be in December and the level of discount will depend on the amount of seats we purchase. The discount will start as low as 10% and could go up to 25% (maybe more) if we get some good volume on this group buy. Heather is going to send me the breakdown in the next few weeks but I thought I would post this now for those who might need to save up. Please post if you would be interested?

YMHA_FJR1300_seat.JPG

I will make sure everyone is added to the list so you do not need to worry. We will not know what the final discount will be since this will depend on the amount of people who order. I think it is safe to say we should get the 15% easily and the 20% will be a bit of a stretch but I know we can do it. We will know for sure on December 1st after all orders have been placed. Remember, you will not need to send in your seat by then but you will need to place your order. [SIZE=14pt]Please write on the top of the order form that you are part of the "FJR Group Buy" regardless of the bike you have to make sure you get the right discount. [/SIZE]You can start sending in orders now so you can get your production date. It is also important to understand that this deal is only good for mail in orders and new builds. It will not apply to ride ins and rebuilds. November 30th will be the cut-off date and after that this deal will be over so please make sure you get your order in before that date. Remember, we need 50 orders placed by November 30th to get the 20% percent off. I will be sending in my order this weekend and I will update the list but showing that I paid. As you send in orders it would be helpful if you did the same so we know exactly how many orders we have in place. It is great to see all of the interest and here is to investing in your butt for 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested in doing my 're-do' through the group buy if it will save me some money. More importantly though would it save me TIME...

Will the wait be shorter for group buy seats than the current 2 months out?

I just got off the phone with Heather at Russell and I thought I would start a post for those of you thinking about buying a seat. The special will be in December and the level of discount will depend on the amount of seats we purchase. The discount will start as low as 10% and could go up to 25% (maybe more) if we get some good volume on this group buy. Heather is going to send me the breakdown in the next few weeks but I thought I would post this now for those who might need to save up. Please post if you would be interested?

Count me as a definite Yes.

Anyone have an old set of 1st gen seat pans I can scarf up?

I'd be interested in doing my 're-do' through the group buy if it will save me some money. More importantly though would it save me TIME...
Will the wait be shorter for group buy seats than the current 2 months out?
These will be for mail in only and drive ups will not apply. I do not know how long it will take becuase I will not be riding December through February but I am sure I can find out when I get the volume discount email from Heather. I would love to see us get 25 seats and a 25% discount for all! I will be ordering it heated for both front and rear. :yahoo:

Definitely interested. The pig WILL have a new seat before next Spring.

Very interested. Need to try to start putting together the money. Do you have to send them a seat pan, or can I buy one from them? I will have to look at their web site in a little more detail.

Damn, just got mine back from them. All leather, front and rear, backrest with pouch, and heated front and rear. There's a couple pictures HERE but I could post some better ones if folks are interested.

Damn, just got mine back from them. All leather, front and rear, backrest with pouch, and heated front and rear. There's a couple pictures HERE but I could post some better ones if folks are interested.

Interesting build choices you made.

Now that you have yours, how effective is the backrest? I saw one on eBay with the backrest (but it was built for a little guy so I never bid on it) and I asked the owner about his backrest and how useful it was. He was pretty honest and said he really doesn't use it when underway.

I currently have a Corbin modular driver seat I bought from a guy on the forum and it has the heat, so I'm going to skip that on the Russell. I don't really think that would be all that useful. It is typically my torso and tops of my legs that get cold, not the "underside" if you will.

My big decisions will be, rectangles or half-moon. Leather or Vinyl. Solo or dual. I'm really leaning toward a full leather, half moon, solo. like this one:

Clicky

FredW..linkey no workie.

Sure, confuse me more why don't ya. Gee Whiz..I'll have to hold off and follow this thread closely. Never read anything bad about a Russell setup.

I'll wait for pricing.

hh

Let's start a list of people who are for sure and people who are mabyes. Please add your names to either list or feel free to move it around if I entered you in the wrong area. Let's see how many orders we can get!

Will purchase for sure

1) 2006FJR

2) FJR pig

3) phil

4) devanator

Maybe (depends on discount/time/money)

1) Renegade

2) cywolv

3) Fred W

4) TriggerT

5) RTSR1/FJR

6) HYCLE

7) 7xray

8) hoghead

Interesting build choices you made. Now that you have yours, how effective is the backrest?
I did leather over vinyl because I know from having both that leather breathes much better. And don't let 'em fool ya, it's simple to take care of. A little conditioner a couple times a year or after washing it (couple of times a year) is all it needs. I did the silver on the top surfaces to help keep the heat down after it's been sitting in the sun while I'm standing around explaining to people what kind of bike it is, what all the farkles are, and what the Iron Butt Association is all about.

With the Harley's I've owned I've needed a backrest to keep my back from getting sore (my mother was always telling me to sit up straight but I guess I didn't listen). I'm still re-training my back after getting the FJR so I'm not really sure I'll need the backrest, but it was cheaper to do during the build than to do it later. I can always leave it home if I don't need it. I haven't yet used it with my wife riding along so I don't know how that will work out. The pouch on the back is perfect for holding my bike cover, but definitely won't work for two-up.

Same reasoning on the heat. If it's not there I can't use it. I've used Gerbing pants on my Harley but so far the FJR is providing a lot better wind coverage on the legs so I'll most likely get rid of the pants. And a warm wife is a happy wife :rolleyes: . Unfortunately, Chris (Heather's husband), who built the seat, didn't have an FJR handy during the build and placed the rider heat switch such that the passenger seat covers up part of the switch. They're all set to make it right as soon as I can find time to get the seat send back to them. Chris was VERY apologetic about the placement and said he'd never done that in all the FJR seats he'd built. Because of the switch placement I've yet to wire up the heating so I can't comment on how it feels.

I've only racked up about a 1000 miles since getting it so I think it's still getting broken in. Butt it beats the hell out of the stock seat. :yahoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.