any tall fjr riders out there over 6'2''

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Reaction score
Thinking about buying an FJR and was wondering if I could get any input from tall riders. I'm 6'3'' and was wondering how comfortable I would be on a long ride......

I'm 6'6" tall, 38" inseam, and I have had no problems riding my Gen 1 "new to me" FJR....Just picked it up in September and put 150 miles on it the 1st day...put a total of 900 miles prior to putting it away for the winter. I also own and ride a 04 Honda SilverWing scooter....also has plenty of legroom for me...I hope this gives you some info.

Dave

Define "Long Ride" please.

I have friends on 1800cc V-Twins who consider a drive from one bar to the next a "Long Ride".

There's a guy on this forum who rode 10,000 miles in 7 days. THAT'S a "Long Ride".

I'm 6'4", 240 pounds, riding an '04 FJR and about 750 miles a day is my limit. I like to stop and eat too often, not to mention sleeping 8+ hours a night, to consider more than 750.

My '04 is drop-dead stock...no special seat, no special handlebars...stock as a 2 day old baby and I'm happy as a clam, but YOU might need a custom seat, or custom pegs, or custom bars, or custom windscreen...etc.,etc.,etc.

Your question is legitimate...but next to impossible to answer. You might like my wife. I find her completely without merit. Different strokes, y'now.

Same height as me. I found I needed to change the seat from stock. That raised me up a little, so then I found my neck got sore from looking up. One inch bar risers cured that!

Garaulds hiway pegs completed the fix.

As you will find here, one man's comfort zone is anothers' mediocrity.

I am 6'3". At first, I was worried about the knee bend, but it turns out it does'nt bother me. I bought the OEM touring windshield, which made a world of difference.

I ride about once a week (family comes first), and my rides are about 400-500Km in average, with 2-3 stops at most. I ride with the seat in high position. The seat itself becomes uncomfortable after 60 to 90 mins of riding, so I am in the process of getting it customized.

I never got neck pain or tired arms after a long ride, my longest being 800Km once. My only complain were soared bums.

I do ride very close to the tank, however: I originally moved my riding position forward because the seat was getting less painful in that position, but after a while, I found myself more "connected" to the motorcycle while leaning in the curves in more spirited riding.

For now, I do not feel a need for bar risers. Everyone' riding position being different, combined with different leg and arm lenghts will result in slightly different ergonomics for different riders.

...Ben...

I am 6ft 6 and have an '07 with a Corbin seat and a V-Stream shield. I will probably go for a Laam seat over the winter, but I would have no concerns about jumping on the bike as it sits and pounding out 500+ mile days or even an SS1000.

Question asked..... Question answered. Nice job Boys! The answer is Yes, Rocky. The FJR can handle you with no problems at all. Except for a grand or so in comfort modifications. Happy Trails! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My '04 is drop-dead stock...no special seat, no special handlebars...stock as a 2 day old baby and I'm happy as a clam, but YOU might need a custom seat, or custom pegs, or custom bars, or custom windscreen...etc.,etc.,etc.
No special seat - 750 miles a day - my hat's off!

Ok, I must say I am impressed with the response's received... Just looking for some reassurance that I wouldn't need to do any major modifications... Thanks to everyone for your input... Rocky

6'3" also, 2008 FJR that's completely stock. Have done several 675 mile days, and two months ago, put in a 940 mile day in 16 hours from Minnesota to Colorado. Just had to stand on the pegs every so often to straighten the knees and relieve a little bun pressure, but arrived feeling fine. On that long day, most stints were in the 200-mile range, about when we would hit reserve and need to start looking for fuel. Comfort shouldn't be an issue for you (but performance awards from law enforcement may be).

No special seat - 750 miles a day - my hat's off!
No big deal. That's only 10 hours in the seat. That leaves me 8 hours for sleep and 6 for 3 two hour meals. :D

Just looking for some reassurance that I wouldn't need to do any major modifications... Thanks to everyone for your input... Rocky
Rocky, you don't say what model specifically you are looking for but we're the same height (I'm 250lbs) and have had three FJRs - a 2008, a 2012 and now a new 2014 and all have been perfectly fine bone stock for me. Only change I've ever made was to put the seat to its highest position. I've done quite a few 400-600 mile days on them and, except for the usual minor discomforts, haven't had any major issues.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm 6'4" and I have no issues on my 06. I will upgrade the seat before next spring but that's more of a personal choice opposed to a need. I also have a Connie and can tell you that I perso fit better on the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
6'3", 34" inseam here. When I bought my 06 from a friend, I was concerned about legroom (specially since it came with a Corbin which only works in the low setting). While I found that while there is a lot less legroom than my GSA, it doesn't really bother me. The stock screen was way too low, so a tall Rifle fixed that. I also added a Helibar bridge but I might still take it back off.

It's closer to a crotch rocket than a cruiser or straight touring bike. But it's not that small, and lowering brackets are inexpensive, comparitively speaking.

6'2" 300 pounds stock everything. 400 miles a day not even noticeable, 500 about as far as I go, have done 600 and was weary. I ride 2 lanes and very little freeway or I could rack up more miles probably, just have no interest, and I like to stop and hydrate water pop or coffee every 100 miles or thereabouts, so i am not init for the quick mileage. Oh, mines a gen2 06