Grip Diameter on '14 + more

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N4RNV1

Reaction score
I am picking up a, new to me, '14ES from out of town and want to take a few things with me to make the bike a little friendlier on the ride back. Having owned a Gen I and II I know what works for me. What is the diameter of the stock grips on the outside (ID) so I can take foam grips to put over them for my XL hand size?

Will Gen I or II seats fit the Gen III? (have my old RDL's available for the ride back as well)

I think the grips are the same as the Gen I. The Gen II and III seats are the same but different from the Gen I.

I have always wrapped the grips on my bikes with tennis racquet grip tape, brings up the size a bit and a nice feeling . Heated grips on my 13 still work fine.

Gen 1 and 3 grips feel about the same to me. I've used foam grip covers on both bikes (same size covers too). I buy gloves in xl and 2xl and the foam covers make the grips comfortable. Good luck with the new bike!!

One of the things I will be changing on my '15 is the grips. Need to head to the Beemer shop as those grips work for me. That is what I have on the '07. Grip puppies are nice until they become sponges in wet weather.

One of the things I will be changing on my '15 is the grips. Need to head to the Beemer shop as those grips work for me. That is what I have on the '07. Grip puppies are nice until they become sponges in wet weather.
Bob - The heated FJR grips have the elements embedded in the rubber part of the grip.

You put those Beemer touring type grips on there and you can kiss your heat goodbye.

Bob - The heated FJR grips have the elements embedded in the rubber part of the grip.

You put those Beemer touring type grips on there and you can kiss your heat goodbye.
Thanks Fred! That right there is good information! Discouraging, though.

Beemer Buddy grips feel just as warm as uncovered heated grips. I think Fred was referring to the guy potentially removing the rubber OEM grips and replacing with a BMW product.

Yes, that was what Intech was referring to. These BMW Sport Grips are some awesome feeling grips,

grips04.jpg

... but they do not have any heating elements in them for use on his new 3rd Gen FJR.

Thanks Fred! That right there is good information! Discouraging, though.
If you think that was good information, go look up what those stock grips cost to replace if you'd cut them off and then realized your mistake. It'll make you want to buy that Fred guy there more than a few beers.
biggrin.png