Engine Warning light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300Mark

Reaction score
I was riding to Savannah from Virginia Beach two weeks ago. I left early, it was still dark. About a third of the way there - too far to turn back to the garage for a check - the engine light went on. I was on two lane doing 55 -65 and it was 57 degrees on flat roads and running smooth. Not much in the way of fast accelerations or stops.

07 fjr 4100 miles

PCIII

stock pipes

Heat troller installed the privious week.

Powerlet outlet I plug my gps into (installed the first week I had the bike)

So I just started to think I didn't put the oil drain back in tight enough. I started to find a safe place to pull over when the light went out. I pulled over anyway after finding a safe spot to look at the bike. The drain plug was there and all looked good. I could not find anything that was out of the norm and the light had been off for several miles at this point so I started riding to Savannah again. I was looking to see if the light would go on again the rest of the way there. It did not. and it hasn't gone on since.

Has anyone else experienced the check engine light coming on for a few moments (5 seconds maybe) while at a cruising speed and then go out on it's own?

Thanks

Previously discussed here and here....and probably elsewhere by searching on +pciii +engine +light.

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit to being pretty dumb at times but I'm not lazy. I read those first two posts first - maybe I should have posted there, but they are talking about a check engine light coming on and staying on - at least that is how I read it. The one from google is talking about the abs light. I don't think they are the same.

There are no error codes - and all looks fine - I was just concerned that the check engine light came on and then went off without any discoverable issue and without any input from me.

If the light had stayed on, or if there was an error code, then I'd have something to trouble shoot.

If the pciii causes the light to come on and then go off without resetting, then I'll just assume that was it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, the PCIII has caused that exact symptom. It is reading an error code. IIRC, if one pulls over, turnns the ignition on then back on, it causes a "reset" and things are fine....until the next episode.

If the PCIII is causes a yellow check engine light, then it will stay on, and you will get an error code - "24" for O2 sensor disconnected. To reset, is a relatively involved procedure. It won't just go off on it's own.

FJR1300Mark - Personally, I wouldn't worry about your check engine light coming on temporarily. Since it was only a transient condition, It wouldn't concern me. It could have been only a one time temporary fault of some kind that will never happen again. If it wasn't, and something more serious is afoot, then it will come on again and you will get an error code. Then go from there.

If the PCIII is causes a yellow check engine light, then it will stay on, and you will get an error code - "24" for O2 sensor disconnected. To reset, is a relatively involved procedure. It won't just go off on it's own.
Sorry, Skooter, I had a brain-fart. You, of course, gave the correct answer.