'04 FJR running rich

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesIfly

Reaction score
Hello all,

My FJR seems to be running rich. I have only noticed this since installing holeshot slip-on's but it was probably present with the stock mufflers. Anyone else have this problem? I have heard some here say that their fjr was running lean.

Where should I begin troubleshooting?

Did you install a pc111 with the slipons?

If so you may be running on the wrong map.

If not you may need a pc111 with the slipons.

There is a specific map for the holeshots.

Did you install a pc111 with the slipons?If so you may be running on the wrong map.

If not you may need a pc111 with the slipons.

There is a specific map for the holeshots.
no, no PCIII installed. Stock with the exception of the holeshots(which I really like).

Possible failure of the coolant sensor is leaving the bike in the cold loop. Should be able to check it easily with an ohm meter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those symptoms can also be a sign of extremely lean running, believe it or not. I've seen bikes running so lean that they don't fire consistently. When they don't fire, the raw gasoline goes out the tail pipe or condenses on the cylinder walls between strokes. The accumulated fuel eventually burns every few strokes, carboning up the tail pipe, plugs, etc.

Best to take some measurements rather than guess.

What are your symtoms?
Smell of gas when at idle, black soot deposit in exhaust.
The color of the soot in the exhaust is not a reliable indicator of mixrture in this day and age.

On the subject of Power Commanders, most of the maps that I have seen do not change the mixure at idle. FWIW, I have had people tell me that my bike smells of gas at idle as well.

Assuming the bike runs well enough to do so, I'd take the bike for an extended ride, like burn through a full tank of fuel. Check your mileage and see if there's been a significant change.

Also, check the simple, easy maintenance items before assuming the slip-ons are a problem. Check/clean the air filter, change spark plugs and do a TBS. Have a dealer tune it if you don't know how. Then see if it's better.

What are your symtoms?
Smell of gas when at idle, black soot deposit in exhaust.
The color of the soot in the exhaust is not a reliable indicator of mixrture in this day and age.

On the subject of Power Commanders, most of the maps that I have seen do not change the mixure at idle. FWIW, I have had people tell me that my bike smells of gas at idle as well.
That's kinda what I wanted to hear actually. It seems to run fine at any RPM/speed so maybe I'm being a little paranoid. If there are other bikes that run about the same, I'll put this off of my worry list. It will be in for the 18,000 mile service soon and I'll have them check it hopefully. The fuel economy seems to be in the normal range 36-45 or so.

Thanks

I am having the same problem with my 05 FJR, it is blowing white smoke that smells like raw gas at idle as well as under acceleration. Had installed a PC III and took it off thinking that that was the problem without success. This is definetely not normal so I made an appointment with the dealer to have it fix. By the way the bike seems to run fine except for the cloud of smelly gas that follows. I will post again when I get the bike back. :(