06 Ignition Failure-Number 4?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dealer and I spoke with Yamaha this morning, the switch will be shipped from Japan(Not inventoried in US warehouses), it is due at the dealers on the 28th of June. :glare:

OK, whine open, someone please pass the cheese.
:shok:

Crap!!

Since my dealer is slow and is JUST today looking at mine, it's gonna be that much longer before I get Blu back. :waaa:

That really sucks!

does it matter what kind of mileage you are at.... Or how about how many times you have turned the key on and off....

I just got back from a nine thousand mile trip.... My problems didn't have to do with ignition switch though, mine were prematurely wearing tires from the head shake on the front end... Posted earlier

does it matter what kind of mileage you are at.... Or how about how many times you have turned the key on and off....
I just got back from a nine thousand mile trip.... My problems didn't have to do with ignition switch though, mine were prematurely wearing tires from the head shake on the front end... Posted earlier
Can't tell you Rock. Mine failed around 14.3k. There are a lot of 06 bikes out there and it seems like a very small number have any problems with the switch.

I don't think mileage matters.... I've got slightly over 15,000 and I'm aware of another 06 with this issue, but it has approx. 7,000 miles.

My 15,000 came from 2 long distance trips, some 200 mile weekend rides, and lots of back and forth to work.

Dunno about the 7,000 mile one.

Mine just turned 24,000.

I haven't any idea how the Yamaha ignition switch is put together, but mine acted in a way that reminded me of a problem we had with our International trucks a few years ago. The contacts on the back of the ingition switches would get loose and start arching until the contact or the post on the back of the switch burned off.

I'll put forward the theory, that even if you don't have a catastrophic failure like the wires actually breaking off, that having the wires bundled to tight will pull on the internal contacts, causing them to loosen on the post and start arching.

Mine just turned 24,000.
I haven't any idea how the Yamaha ignition switch is put together, but mine acted in a way that reminded me of a problem we had with our International trucks a few years ago. The contacts on the back of the ingition switches would get loose and start arching until the contact or the post on the back of the switch burned off.

I'll put forward the theory, that even if you don't have a catastrophic failure like the wires actually breaking off, that having the wires bundled to tight will pull on the internal contacts, causing them to loosen on the post and start arching.
Sounds plausabile. My wire came out of the switch with the contact still soldered to wire end..

I started another thread on this earlier, but my question is. What are we going to get when the parts come in? The same thing we got already, an OEM part that will have potentially the same problems!

Don't think it's the switch itself thats the problem, it's the fact that on a lot of these bikes Yamaha did not leave enough free play in the wires going to the switch. Check the wire bundle to the switch, see that they are loose enough that the wires don't pull agaisnt the bottom of the igniton switch when you turn the bars.

There have been many more than 4 failures! Mine did it about 1.5 months ago and I am sure there are others that just dont post here that have had it happen. As for the keys matching...All the dealer has to do is drill out 2 more rivits and remove the lock cylinder and install it in the new igniton switch. I did it on mine and it only took 15 or 20 minutes. Hope this helps.

I started another thread on this earlier, but my question is. What are we going to get when the parts come in? The same thing we got already, an OEM part that will have potentially the same problems!
Got mine back from the shop yesterday. I don't think the replacement should have the same problem because we haven't heard about a 07' failure. Probably a bad supplier part.

Just picked mine up. I checked the wires going to the bottom of the switch, got lots of free play now,

Dealer did a great job, got the part yesterday, installed it yesterday. Bike was ready to go yesterday.