06 Mirror Extenders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintster11

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2006 FJR in dark blue. Not crazy about the mirror view angles. Does anyone know where I can get a set of reasonably priced color matched mirror extenders?

SW-Motech will sell you some in black.

They can be color match painted. There is a forum member that can help you in that regard. (Garauld)

There are other solutions, like mirror replacement.

A bit of searching around the forum will provide more info on all three of the above.

Enjoy your new wheels.

-Steve

I posted on this forum or the other, (never can keep track) about how to relocate the little bb detent positions to get a better angle out with the mirrors using a carbide ball grinding attachment on my '06. If you have handlebar risers, I've discovered your shoulders get in the line of sight unless you have a 34 chest or something, Ha

Remember to keep an eye on those bb's and cupped washers as they will fly away. A white sheet on the ground and some grease helps. The new "ball socket" is right next to the 3 oem. Indexing with a sharpie helps too.

After the extenders, the line of sight wasn't good enough and didn't want mirrors from a different year.

I'm not certain if FZ1 mirrors fit Gen II FJR's, but there's a pair for $50 plus shipping on FZ10oa.com classifieds. They certainly improved the rear view on my 04.

Go with GenII FZ-1 mirrors. The part numbers are located around here somewhere. You'll be amazed at the visual improvement.

I had the SW Motech units and went to the FZ1 mirrors. No comparison - the FZ mirrors are much better.
I try to tell people. I installed FZ1 mirrors on my '07 and then installed the SWMotech extensions on a former Forum member's '08. The extensions were better than OEM, but weren't near as good as the FZ1 replacements. Just the nature of how the OEM mirrors are built and angled.

For the cost of the extensions compared to the FZ1 mirrors, it should be a no-brainer to go with the new mirrors.

Obviously, I'm an opinionated clown most of the time, but I wouldn't lie, exaggerate, or otherwise try to taint someone's opinion of something as important as good mirrors. I know some think they'll be ugly, but no one has ever asked me what's wrong with my mirrors. They look like they came with the bike. Hell, I barely notice them, but I appreciate the heck out of them.

Thanks to all for your advice. Ended up going with the SW Moto extenders and am pretty happy with the results. I kept the cool look of the stock mirrors and I can see behind me with the heli bars pulled all the way back and up. Piece of advice for anyone that wants to complete this install, take the headlight adjusting nuts off which allows removal of two other body panels and makes getting at the mirror bolts a hell of a lot easier. They tell you this is not required, but believe me it makes your life easier.