2007 Stumbling on acceleration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to imply that brand of plug was important or made any difference. He just told me that once he finally put in new plugs the problem ceased to exist (he only mentioned the brand change when telling me). Also, in previous conversations, I mentioned the idle speed setting -- I recommended upping it, too. He said he thought the idle was fine -- but, he may have changed it (I'll ask)?

Too bad this has to be so second-hand.....

I do find it interesting, tho, because he watched the bike being un-crated and said that it was never started and stopped repeatedly -- nor anything done that might have affected spark plug life or condition. Yet.....once replaced -- problem gone. Go figure. :blink:
He did say the plugs looked extremely good as far as color and lack of soot.

Could have been just a bad insulator or something.

I'll ask about the gap.

It pains me to type this contribution to the forum -- but, I just got a call from the '07 owner/rider involved here ('msparks' and I both talk with this guy) and he informs me that the new plugs solution was only temporary (which may lend credence to an ignition problem?) and it's up to its old tricks of "stumbling on light accelleration" again.

It's going to the shop today; Yamaha wants some tests done by the dealer -- including exhaust sniffing and fuel pressure test and some things tested underway, I'm told. Everything done that's been related here has had some little noticeable effect -- but nothing has eliminated the missing/stumbling on light roll-on (with the exception of new spark plugs, briefly).

Any more ideas for discussion will be appreciated. Response from '07 riders, too, do your '07s exhibit any 'driveability' issues?

TIA

Any more ideas for discussion will be appreciated. Response from '07 riders, too, do your '07s exhibit any 'driveability' issues?TIA
My '07 stumbles when the motor is cold and under choke. The dealer has been notified about it and said it was probably due to the motor being new. With 1500 miles on the clock it still stumbles cold. I've also experienced the stumbling on a warm (over 50 miles) engine as described earlier in the thread, once bad enough that I had to pull off the road. I'm planning on trying the barbarian jumper mod +7 and pushing the idle up to 1100 (currently 1000). I'll post after if it fixes my issues.

Ray

<snip>My '07 stumbles .... The dealer .... said it was probably due to the motor being new. I'm planning on trying the barbarian jumper mod +7 and pushing the idle up to 1100 (currently 1000). I'll post after if it fixes my issues.
Thanks Ray, please keep us posted.You'd think that the bike would run best when new....?? But, not un-typical from some dealers, I'm afraid.

I had a friend who had the electrolite "boil" out of the battery on her new bike (on a trip just after the first service). When she got it back to the selling dealer he told her, "You ride it too much."

In the case of my friend's '07 FJR, the dealer lacks the special tools to perform the checks that MamaYama is asking for (who knows about the 'expertise'?).

It is certainly a bad-thing when owners are forced to work, themselves, on their $12~14K new m/cycles to try to make the run properly.... :huh: :blink:

Did the mod, and raised the idle. Tested it out this morning, and it only stumbled once cold (alot better than yesterday where it would stumble every 5-10 seconds). However, it felt like it was running worse in traffic just off idle and in the low RPM range. Dropped from +7 over stock to +4 over stock, and I'll check that on the way home. It might just be a happy medium.

Ray

[quote

It is certainly a bad-thing when owners are forced to work, themselves, on their $12~14K new m/cycles to try to make the run properly.... :huh: :blink:

Don't under estimate the power of numbers on this board my friend. With all the input here, the possibility of troubleshooting a problem is real. More real than a dealer sometimes. I went armed to my dealer with info gained here twice with my 06 and because of that info my problem got resolved by the dealer. With a little arm twisting I might add but it got fixed. Now if the dealer is not tooled up to remidy the problem find a 5 star dealer who is. It could well be worth the effort. My $.02 pesos worth...PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
My 07 seems to like the +4 over stock alot better than +7. I'll give it 500 and see if she stumbles again warm. It is stumbling again cold, but as long as it doesn't do it warm I can live with it.

Ray

I experienced virtually the same thing this afternoon on my NEW 2007 FJR. I was riding in the mountains following a couple of other bikes. We were going down hill in the twisties and it felt as if I was running out of fuel. The engine just started to stutter just a little and then a pause for about half a second then the power came back on. This happened on and off all the way down the mountain. I was in 3rd and 4th gear between 3500 and 4250 rpm (approx). We stopped for lunch I got back on the bike and everything seemed to be ok. On the Freeway on my way home going down a hill it happened again. This time I was in 5th going about 75 and 4500 rpm or so. Stopped in at the dealer on my way home and they said they would look at it next week when I bring it in for its 600 mile service. Hope it is nothing major! Will let you guys know what happens.

Gary

I experienced virtually the same thing this afternoon on my NEW 2007 FJR. I was riding in the mountains following a couple of other bikes. We were going down hill in the twisties and it felt as if I was running out of fuel. The engine just started to stutter just a little and then a pause for about half a second then the power came back on. This happened on and off all the way down the mountain. I was in 3rd and 4th gear between 3500 and 4250 rpm (approx). We stopped for lunch I got back on the bike and everything seemed to be ok. On the Freeway on my way home going down a hill it happened again. This time I was in 5th going about 75 and 4500 rpm or so. Stopped in at the dealer on my way home and they said they would look at it next week when I bring it in for its 600 mile service. Hope it is nothing major! Will let you guys know what happens.Gary

Prity much the same problem. My dealer said to turn off the key for 3 seconds to reset the computer, and that does clear the problem for awhile. After doing the mods I listed above, it hasn't happend again. I'm currently just over 2k on the clock and she's runnin great. :yahoo: Can't be sure if it was the mods or the milage, but I'll take a cure any way I can get it :p

Ray

Just thought I'd mention this as it could possibly be the cause of a problem on some bikes.

I took my 06 in for it's first service and when I picked it up they had a nice sheet with all the things the mechanic had checked on the bike. There was a lot more checked than what Yamaha specifies, one of the things they checked was the plug cap resistance, they even had the values (in ohms) and they were all within spec, I checked in my service manual.

I asked why they would bother to check things that Yamaha didn't specify and they said they were things that they had found to be troublesome on some bikes, not necessarily FJRs but Yammys in general I think, they are a Yamaha only dealer and only service Yamahas.

My bike runs perfectly and is stock except for grip heaters and sliders but I thought I would put this out there as it could possibly be an issue on some bikes. I believe Yamaha specify the plug cap check for later services.

Last edited by a moderator:
My '06 had this exact issue (3) different times over a (4) day ride last week. Felt as if it ran out of gas for about 1 second, then back up to normal. I'll pull the plugs this week-end and replace as a first step.

Any update from the other members?

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Power Commander solution here. Do a search for PCIII and you will see many similar problems that have been cured with this modification. The problem is in the stock fuel injection map. PCIII will resolve 85% with the standard PC map for the FJR. If you want the other 15%, you will have to have one of their authorized mechanics do a custom map on the Dyno. I've been through the whole thing and have the problem completely resolved, for around $500.

If you have ried all that has been mentioned and you still find no cure

How about checking the mapping for your computer kind of seems like the problem is leaning toward a fuel problem post the answer good luck

Welcome to the world of emissions control! These bikes are set up for low co2 output, not high performance. They are basically being starved to death when ever you back off the throttle at high revs. I agree with the " why do we have to spend more to fix their problem?" question. It seem some manufacturers do a better job of dealing with the regulations than others. Not even all FJR '07 are effected. My '06 Sprint ST never had a throttle problem. The '07 however, may be more problematic due to the new EU regs.

I bought the FJR w/ only 1000 miles on it for $3000 below list, because the original owner didn't want to figure out and solve the problem. For me there was a silver lining to the cloud.

The bikes sold in Australia are E3 compliant but I haven't heard of anyone with the problems you have with your bikes.

Your ECU must be different to ours if they are running so lean.

I suppose you could change the ECU to an Aust one but I guarantee that would be dearer than a PC

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Power Commander solution here. Do a search for PCIII and you will see many similar problems that have been cured with this modification. The problem is in the stock fuel injection map. PCIII will resolve 85% with the standard PC map for the FJR. If you want the other 15%, you will have to have one of their authorized mechanics do a custom map on the Dyno. I've been through the whole thing and have the problem completely resolved, for around $500.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have the PCIII and the G2 ergo throttle tube and they certainly cured a lot of ills. But this is something different altogether. Definitely a "miss" of some sort and I would guess not related to fuel mapping.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have the PCIII and the G2 ergo throttle tube and they certainly cured a lot of ills. But this is something different altogether. Definitely a "miss" of some sort and I would guess not related to fuel mapping.
The 'this' is apparently the ECU shutting off the injectors on throttle roll-off and the subsequent lag in fuel reinstatement and fuel transport time and the 're-wetting' of the inlet tract. This (apparently?) to meet Euro 3 emissions rules. There's a good article in the Mar.'07 issue of BIKe magazine and a test of the 'cure' -- the fuel cutoff eliminator, FCE, from Ivan's Performance Products. The editors used an FZ1 and outlined the problem, cause, and cure -- unfortunately, Ivan can't seem to work his magic (yet?) for the FJR.

My friend with a maroon '07 lets it sit in the back of the garage and rides his sweet running, 80K mile, '04. His dealer has been no help in resolving this driveability issue and neither has Cypress. He's also tried (and had no cure from....) a Power Commander, tbs, etc -- this problem (fuel cut off) is built-in the ECU. He says that he's now planning on crushing the '07 into a nice little maroon plastic and alu cube (takes up alot less space)...... :blink: :(