2007 Stumbling on acceleration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 06 have the exact same issues at altitude. I also have a pc3 usb installed. It was not a fix. This is definatly not limited to 07's

My 07 is currently at the dealer for this exact problem.

In my case the problem happens about 80 miles/1.5 hours into the ride.

I notice that the throttle has a "dead" spot in it, most noticable when taking off from a stop.

The first few degrees of throttle rotation is no problem. The next few degrees ether it starts missing badly or feels like it wants to drop to idle. I can twist the throttle a few degrees in each direction with no real effect in engine rpm. The next few degrees its OK again.

The last time this happened I stopped and checked the TPS using the diagnostic mode, everything looked fine, no skips in the reading.

Shutting the bike off and restarting it clears the problem.

I have a Power Commander, the problem exists if I have it connected or not.

I am not optimistic about the dealer solving the problem.

I will let you know......

So, the service guy gets back to me a tells me they took the bike for a 10 min test ride and could not duplicate the problem.

I explained again it happens only on long rides and that I was not surprised that they didn't see the problem.

I went on to tell him about other people on the FJR sites having the same issue and asked him if he had contacted Yamaha Tech support. He said he had not but would give them a call.

The service guy calls back 30 min later and says he talked with Yamaha and that they are aware of the issue from other dealers and noise on the internet. He said that hey have been trying to duplicate the problem on their test bikes but so far have not been able to, nor had any of their dealers.

He hinted that Yamaha believed that there was no problem and that it was just "internet hysteria ".

Further more, Yamaha told him they would not cover any diagnostic charges for this issue under warranty.

So I ask him "what now?"

He asks me "What do you mean?"

I say " I have a long distance touring bike I can't ride over 100 miles before I start having issues with a problem that can't be solved. What good is the bike to me?"

He says he can keep trying to diagnose the problem. But since I'm likely to have to pay for it I tell him no thanks.

They are nice guys and tried to solve the problem, they never gave me any flak.

So I'm not sure what to do now.

Any suggestions?

Rgmax,

It sounds like a TPS to me. I would buy one and install it. It is probably heat driven intermittency and hard to diagnose.

Dealerships appear to have little sophisticated diagosis equipment....seem to specialize in part replacement only with all else being a crapshoot.

At least if it does work or not, you have a good spare part for future use. My bet it will solve your problem.