2007 Stumbling on acceleration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Power Commander solution here. Do a search for PCIII and you will see many similar problems that have been cured with this modification. The problem is in the stock fuel injection map. PCIII will resolve 85% with the standard PC map for the FJR. If you want the other 15%, you will have to have one of their authorized mechanics do a custom map on the Dyno. I've been through the whole thing and have the problem completely resolved, for around $500.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have the PCIII and the G2 ergo throttle tube and they certainly cured a lot of ills. But this is something different altogether. Definitely a "miss" of some sort and I would guess not related to fuel mapping.
The 'this' is apparently the ECU shutting off the injectors on throttle roll-off and the subsequent lag in fuel reinstatement and fuel transport time and the 're-wetting' of the inlet tract. This (apparently?) to meet Euro 3 emissions rules. There's a good article in the Mar.'07 issue of BIKe magazine and a test of the 'cure' -- the fuel cutoff eliminator, FCE, from Ivan's Performance Products. The editors used an FZ1 and outlined the problem, cause, and cure -- unfortunately, Ivan can't seem to work his magic (yet?) for the FJR.

My friend with a maroon '07 lets it sit in the back of the garage and rides his sweet running, 80K mile, '04. His dealer has been no help in resolving this driveability issue and neither has Cypress. He's also tried (and had no cure from....) a Power Commander, tbs, etc -- this problem (fuel cut off) is built-in the ECU. He says that he's now planning on crushing the '07 into a nice little maroon plastic and alu cube (takes up alot less space)...... :blink: :(

I also have the full Muzzy system on my bike and it actually "after-fires" some on deceleration, especially if I agressively downshift. I can only assume that unburnt fuel is getting in the exhaust, which then ignites. This causes a "cool" sound effect, but in reality, this is due to a rich condition. If your theory is correct, than I'm really confused. I'll certainly pull the plugs this week-end to get a better understanding of the air/fuel ratio. Muzzy did supply me with a '06 map for their system, which is obviously loaded on my PCIII.

He says that he's now planning on crushing the '07 into a nice little maroon plastic and alu cube (takes up alot less space)...... :blink: :(
He may as well sell it. A few here may even take the "problematic" bike off his hands for a few thousand less than MSRP. He could reclaim his money rather than crushing the bike.

Some Gen. 2 FJR riders this side of the pond have complained about stumbling on acceleration when coming out of a tight turn on mountain roads.

The initial reaction has been - understandably enough - to blame the thinner air (our mountain passes range between 4,000 and 8,000 feet). :glare:

Someone also tried to explain this problem with a modification allegedly introduced by Yamaha with type RP13.

They claim that instead of 2 air sensors (as installed on RP04 thru RP11) feeding data to the ECU, the 2nd generation bike has only one that only "reads" ambient air upon firing the motor but will not update this info as you change altitude. :blink:

It sounds like a crock to me but, as the proud owner of an RP08, I've no way of finding out.

Is this nothing but an "urban legend" or is there some truth to this statement?

Stef

I also experienced this exact problem yesterday in route to Hwy 36. In Medford, OR now and heading to N. CA tomorrow. 2007 with about 500 miles. Bike ran fine until I took a side road in S. Oregon that climbed up to around 3K feet. Got in some twisties and bike immediately started to "bog" down like it was running out of gas. It got so bad I had to start feathering the throttle to keep it going. Finally I pulled over and turned it off and restarted. It ran fine for about 3 minutes then started doing it again. Once I got back down off the mountain it ran fine. FWIW, I've got the Ergo throttle tube, did the Barbarian jumper mod and at +4 on all cyclinders. It was really annoying and I lost all faith in attacking the twisties. :(

Same issue as teerex51 and would like to know the answer to his question also, and almost exact situation as tophog when I was coming out of a turn on Hwy 36 last year on the 06 about 3000 ft. elevation. And it hasn't done it since. :blink: If the barbarian jumper mod and the pcIII is not curing this problem is the mapping issue out of the question? I see the real problem here is that while we have numbers to document this problem, it is a problem that is not consistent as in it doesn't do it all the time for anyone. These type of problems if not occuring on a consistant basis it is going to be very difficult to nail down. Hopefully an answer will come. PM. <>< :detective2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll report back next week once I get back from riding 36 and experiencing motorcycle Zen in N. CA :) Hopefully it won't act up again.

I have made several posts about this same problem on my 07. It is very discouraging to have to go through this. There is a shop in Portland that only works on sport bikes, they put a PC in my 02 Blackbird several years ago, and the bike runs perfectly. It wasn't having the problem anywhere near what the FJR is having. Anyway, I talked to one of the tecs there and they will install the PC and make runs on the dyno until they get the problem taken care of, they run into this quite a bit he said. Unfortunatly, I have to sink $600 into it that I really don't have. I am going to take the bike back to where I bought it this week and they are going to do the TBS and one or two things that Yamaha suggests trying. I am not optimistic.

It pains me to type this contribution to the forum -- but, I just got a call from the '07 owner/rider involved here ('msparks' and I both talk with this guy) and he informs me that the new plugs solution was only temporary (which may lend credence to an ignition problem?) and it's up to its old tricks of "stumbling on light accelleration" again.It's going to the shop today; Yamaha wants some tests done by the dealer -- including exhaust sniffing and fuel pressure test and some things tested underway, I'm told. Everything done that's been related here has had some little noticeable effect -- but nothing has eliminated the missing/stumbling on light roll-on (with the exception of new spark plugs, briefly).

Any more ideas for discussion will be appreciated. Response from '07 riders, too, do your '07s exhibit any 'driveability' issues?

TIA
K guys,.....Some of my observations/actions/results in the last 4 weeks of New ownership. I always like to do this shit in point form so sorry if it dosen't Flow......

1) Bike over several weeks of starting has became much less smooth AT start up,..to the point that some such "misfire???" sounded like it wants to send an ascending piston back down before TDC (just during the first 30 sec's of warmup). Is this what you'r experiencing SILENT??

2) I haven't experienced any bogging but the Vibes are on the rise and beginning to annoy.

3) Re "header temp topic" i assumed that cylinder #4 was running rich and for the hell of it last wednesday i (Temporarially) dropped #4 co by 7 just to see what would happen one the next cold start. This a couple of days after going BACK to stock settings from a +5 across the board i had done mid april.

4) Today was the first start up after dropping the #4 value (been deathly sick with flu) and she Didn't do the "buck" thing. Will see again tomorrow morn' cold...

5) I DO realize that the machine needs a TBS and my first service is due,... i'll put the settings back to stock and take it to them with this problem as my main bitch point ,... And see what happens...

6) I think(my very unedugmicated opinion) that Yamaha needs to get their act together and stop batch setting CO values for these bikes,..

7) Took my (MSA) CO tester home and was amazed at how clean the motor runs when warmed up and starts monitoring itself (even cleaner than our propane forklifts at the plant),...Dirty though when cold.

8) Can't wait to send the squirters for matching this winter

cheers

-Don

Add the PCIII and G2 ergo tube prior to fooling around with too much else. Those mods totally transformed mine, and every other bike which had it done, into a great bike. Yeah, I know, we shouldn't have to do this, but it's still a hell of a lot better deal than a $20K BMW GT. Anyway, the stumbling on this tread refers to a situation as if you're running out of gas for a couple of seconds. Incidentally, the only times it's happened to me was riding in the mountains of Western NC. No problem since............!

Ok just got my bike back from dealer for the 600 mile. :yahoo: Before no surging now surging. I loved the way I could precisely control the throttle. Now it is scary?

Did the dealer do something or is this a normal problem that crops up? Should I bring back to dealer?

Ok just got my bike back from dealer for the 600 mile. :yahoo: Before no surging now surging. I loved the way I could precisely control the throttle. Now it is scary?
Did the dealer do something or is this a normal problem that crops up? Should I bring back to dealer?
Shouldn't logic rule here? Take it back. PM. <>< :dntknw:

1) Bike over several weeks of starting has became much less smooth AT start up,..to the point that some such "misfire???" sounded like it wants to send an ascending piston back down before TDC (just during the first 30 sec's of warmup). Is this what you'r experiencing SILENT??
Yup, my bike does that evey time the choke is on. My '07 is a daily driver so it has never sat for more than a day without running (Except this month while its in the shop for dammage estimate).

Bike ran fine until I took a side road in S. Oregon that climbed up to around 3K feet. Got in some twisties and bike immediately started to "bog" down like it was running out of gas. It got so bad I had to start feathering the throttle to keep it going. Finally I pulled over and turned it off and restarted. It ran fine for about 3 minutes then started doing it again.
Exact same problem I've had intermitantly. My '07 has over 5k miles on it now, and the problem hasn't reared it's head in the last 1500 or so miles. I'm running G2 and Barbarian +4 across the board. Dealer may replace the TBS while it's in the shop, we'll see.

You may have seen this related thread HERE with several excellent contributions by some of our technical gurus (er...except for mine :rolleyes: ).

I will agree with Painman here that it's going to prove exceedingly hard to nail down the cause of the "stumbling". But I'm convinced this is related to the new fuel-injection setup as described by Jestal and, not unlike the recent TPS recall for earlier models, it's going to prove a major headache that Yamaha will need to sort out for RP13.

Stef

Ok, just rolled in from a 3.5 day 1352 mile trip from Oregon to N. CA and rode the famous Hwy 36 both East and West. Rode the bike hard, all elevations from sea level to 6K feet. To make a long story short the surging almost spoiled the trip. I quit counting after 20+ times the bike acted up. It always seemed to run fine under 1,000 feet. Anything over and the surging would start at some point although it seemed completely random. Sometimes the bike ran find up to around 3-4K feet and would not surge at all, other times it would start surging immediately above 1000 ft. To me it sounds like it is something with the ECM trying to readjust the map based on altitude. Does the FJR have multiple maps the ECM controls based on altitude? I'm not talking about a little stumble here and there. The bike cut out, bogged down, surged, whatever you want to call it ...badly. Almost sickening. No 600 mile service here. I left home with 300 miles on the clock ...did change oil/filter/drive oil before leaving. 1577 on the odometer tonight.

I also tried adjusting the CO levels back to stock a couple times and it appeared to make no difference what so ever. I guess if you like to ride along the coast the 2007 is great :( I'm having a hard time thinking about taking it to the dealer ...they aren't going to be able to reproduce the problem unless they ride the bike 2 hours into the mountains. I can hear it already "Sir, we were unable to reproduce the problem you described ...".

Loved the bike though aside from the surging. I think I left over 1/2 of the tire thread on Hwy 36. AMAZING road.

I'll report back next week once I get back from riding 36 and experiencing motorcycle Zen in N. CA :) Hopefully it won't act up again.

My 07 does the exact same thing, there seem to be a lot of us. I think the PC is the answer. Too bad we have to sink that kind of money into the bike.

I'm sure the PCIII is the answer, however due to the significance of this problem a new bike simply should not run this crappy. Yamaha will need to address it if they want to continue selling the FJR. The problem isn't something you can "live with". It's also a major safety and liability issue.

Dealers can only really do what Yamaha tells them to do. Enough people need to report the problem and frustration to get Yamaha off their butts and resolve the problem.

TophogI couldn't agree more, it is extremely frustrating, but I don't think the dealers can do anything.