2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IBR might get way more publicity than its looking for
Oh good lord. Could you imagine after what they just went through with blogging etc, if something made the news because one of the riders gets noticed going to where the President is at. Good lord I hope that doesn't happen.

Must of took hours to set-up and stage the smooth and photogenic departure!!! :clapping:
Too cool, in the 2nd video of the departure, one of the riders is on a hack!!!
Hours to stage? Not at all, they are well practiced. They usually let the riders line up however they wish, but may start sending them out from the front, or the back, or the opposite end of the parking lot, as fate and their fickle desires dictate. ;)

The rider on the hack is Bob Mutchler, riding for Polio Plus. LINK

Sure looks like Jerry White on the no headlight FJR. He had to replace his stator on the way to Spartanburg too. Hope it's not a major problem for him.

I am almost positive that wasn't Iggy. He has a tinted windscreen, and his lights are a different model.

I saw what appeared to be one FJR with only 1 headlight and another without any headlights. It may not be a serious problem, some HID setups occasionally don't fire up the one or both bulbs on first try if the voltage is a bit low. After the serious tech inspection these bikes get I can't imagine they would miss blown headlights.

If it is Jerry, he may have installed a headlight switch to conserve the magic smoke in his replacement stator, for use only as needed :D

I would swear the FJR shown at minute 1:59 of the video showing them pulling out doesn't have a head light on.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fleeter05#play...l/1/1anzAHh8gTo

But I can't believe they would let him leave if that were the case.
I concurr, sure does look that way.
I talked with him about the headlight when I was there on Friday and Saturday. He has the left headlight on low beam HID and the right one comes on as an HID on high beam. So it is an intentional set up and not messed up. I wouldn't have done it that way since kinda bothers me when I see this on some sport bikes and others like the Triumph Tiger to see that set up.

doctorj

I have a spare GenII OEM stator I will donate if a rider has a mechanical requiring a replacement...

Also, have spare room, and equipped garage...Located near I-20 in West Georgia.

Unless that would be considered cheating <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe all of the problems are with Gen 1 stators. I doubt if a Gen 2 will fit a Gen 1, but still a damn nice offer.

Looks like 1 FJR has only 1 HL working, a bit later another goes by with both out?

Edit - too late, others beat me to the punch, again.

Thanks for the updates Warchild! This is pretty cool.

I can only imagine the heeby-jeeby's these riders get setting out on this ride. :dribble: It was bad enough at NAFO.

Best wishes and safe travels to Iggy, Greg, TurboDave and all the other Feejer riders participating, and the rest as well!

I believe all of the problems are with Gen 1 stators. I doubt if a Gen 2 will fit a Gen 1, but still a damn nice offer.
I know it will not fit a GenI, I loaned it to Peter Behm at the Cape Fear rally when his Electrosport failed and he tried to make it work. Just throwing the offer out there. Heck, I have a spare ECU foor a GenII plus I guess I could always cannabalize my 2006 model if thats what it took to keep a rider moving.

This is all good, but with the new rules, If a rider was sitting on the side of the road with a mechanical and addressed a public forum looking for help, wouldn't that violate the no interwebs stance of the IBA?

<<snip>>Hope Marbach doesnt get held up at Marthas Vinyard The President is there this week on vacation and its a Media Nuthouse :unsure:
I agree. All the tourists this time of year plus a president visiting? Crazy. And you have to hit the ferry timing just right or you get held up. Lots of traffic both ways on the ferry's. I wouldn't want to ride anywhere near the cape in summer season, though middle of the week is better.

All riders are out the gate.
This is the fastest Release I have ever done... it is a new record for us: 101 heavily-laden motorcycles were GONE in 5 minutes, 20 seconds.... a blistering rate!

No spills getting out the gate, either.

Iggy and Marbach are deadly serious this time..... I released them together, but they are not "teaming". I believe Marbach is headed to Martha's Vineyard... not sure if Iggy is or not.

Turbo Dave seems very relaxed.... I want him to be a Finisher bad. Hope his routing is decent... in order to be a Finisher, riders need to average about 9000 points on this leg. (This doesn't mean they need to bag 9000 bonus points, as they get 1000 points for their fuel log, additional points for arriving at the checkpoint on time, etc, etc).

All the FJRs got off with no problem at all. Terry Neely is so excited, he is qwaking in his boots on his FJR, as are all 19 FJR1300 riders. Mike Evans is relaxed and confident. He may be the Dark Horse among the FJR riders... some may recall he had a podium Finish in 2007.... 8th Place, IIRC.

I've been keeping my fingers crossed for Turbo. I'm pretty sure he's about as ready as you can get for this thing, and I gotta say he's one determined SOB. He was in my garage a few weeks ago letting me take care of a cruise problem, and we discussed his participation at length. If anyone can do it, he will, God willing. :cigar:

Any IBR rider who makes any blog entry, tweet, texting, audio, etc, and make it after 10AM EDT Monday, 24 Aug, it it makes it to the internet, EVEN AFTER THE 11-DAY EVENT,they are subject to disqualification.
Dale, Sorry...don't mean to beat the dead horse, but, for clarification, are you saying that any blogs/tweets/texts/audio, etc that was made DURING the rally can't be posted, or, any blogs/tweets, etc made DURING or AFTER the rally can't be posted? As you wrote this, it implies that participants can't speak about the event post mortem on their blogs, facebook, twitter, etc.

best of luck to ALL participants

Any IBR rider who makes any blog entry, tweet, texting, audio, etc, and make it after 10AM EDT Monday, 24 Aug, it it makes it to the internet, EVEN AFTER THE 11-DAY EVENT,they are subject to disqualification.
Dale, Sorry...don't mean to beat the dead horse, but, for clarification, are you saying that any blogs/tweets/texts/audio, etc that was made DURING the rally can't be posted, or, any blogs/tweets, etc made DURING or AFTER the rally can't be posted? As you wrote this, it implies that participants can't speak about the event post mortem on their blogs, facebook, twitter, etc.

Any evidence of blogging/tweeting/facebook posting during the IBR is ground for DNF. Regardless of if the evidence becomes known during or after the IBR.

Any evidence of blogging/tweeting/facebook posting during the IBR is ground for DNF. Regardless of if the evidence becomes known during or after the IBR.
I figured that, but, thanks for the clarification. I think others took it to mean that you couldn't talk about it AFTER the event.

As a fan of the rally, I'm disappointed, but, it ain't about me.