2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'm hooked. This is the first time I've followed an IBR. Last night, I read up on the 2007 event and learned to love the icy wit in Tom's writing. Couldn't wait to get to this year's latest information. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Sending good vibes, ju-ju or whatever to ALL riders but especially the FJR pilots for a safe and enjoyable ride. You're all CRAZY but I'm sure there are a more than a few of us reading about the rally that admire your spirit.

Not going to even talk about the politickery regarding the communications - other than to admire DCarver's self-professed restraint. I'm sure he had something wise and wonderful to say, but glad he's not banned from the forum because of it. I hope we will get to hear first-hand from the riders, after the event is over. This is something that the CBA members will never aspire anywhere near to doing, but we want to hear from the big-boys (and girls) about their experiences.

And I'm still smiling at the thought of competitors who have probably minimized every ounce, every cubic inch of their luggage yet thrown in a final drive or two.

Notice that a lot of the riders seem to have the same helmet. Does anyone know what make/model those white modular flip helmets are?

helmets.jpg

Notice that a lot of the riders seem to have the same helmet. Does anyone know what make/model those white modular flip helmets are?
helmets.jpg
Nolan N103 seems to be the most popular, that or a multi-tech. I know all the ones in back of the picture are Nolan's

Any chance of an electronic version of this? I'd like to try my nOOb hand at some routing.
Sorry, there is zero chance of getting an electronic copy of this listing.

However, we will publish the entire Leg One Bonus Listing after the Leg is complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh-oh.... SkooterG is headed to Martha's Vineyard.... this oughta be good.... :lol: ;)
I could swing down to Woods Hole and have a word with the Steam Ship Authority about Skoot and the ferry -->

the-way-to-go.jpg

Or, I could swing by Provincetown on Cape Cod and arrange for a faerie for Skoot. This one should be worth extra bonii (so to speak)

Feature2.gif

Any chance of an electronic version of this? I'd like to try my nOOb hand at some routing.
Sorry, there is zero chance of getting an electronic copy of this listing.

However, we will publish the entire Leg One Bonus Listing after the Leg is complete.
Ah, right, duh! I thought about this after I sent it, hey I'm old and didn't remember the explanation a few pages back. Sorry! :rolleyes:

Uh-oh.... SkooterG is headed to Martha's Vineyard.... this oughta be good.... :lol: ;)
I could swing down to Woods Hole and have a word with the Steam Ship Authority about Skoot and the ferry -->

the-way-to-go.jpg

Or, I could swing by Provincetown on Cape Cod and arrange for a faerie for Skoot. This one should be worth extra bonii (so to speak)

Feature2.gif
ionbeam: Trust me: He's done worse than that one before! Some of the stuff he's drug out of the Scottsdale "cougar bars" would scare dcarver, RenoJohn, Old Michael, odot and Bustanut joker. Actually, this "babe" is an improvement for Greggie!

Or, I could swing by Provincetown on Cape Cod and arrange for a faerie for Skoot.
No, you can't, Alan. :nono:

That would fall into the "undue assistance" arena.
Yup, rulz are rulz, Skoot is on his own. Fortunately, we have strict 'catch and release' laws so he shouldn't have any problems catching his own faerie.

I hope New England offers all the riders benign weather, light traffic and no radar/lidar coverage on their brief pass through our corner of the country.

It is my understanding that a number of riders have already been in the Martha's Vineyard bonus and are outta there already, so it appears that the bonus was readily do-able. If you intend to be on the podium at the Finish, you really needed to get this bonus.

I only know for certain that Skoot was headed that way; I can't confirm/deny any of the other FJRs... so we could easily have many more that went.

'Bombo is on vacation in the vicinity; hope the security isn't too crazy to make things sticky for any of the riders.

Dumb question, but I want to see if I am understanding correctly. The riders were given flash drives with all of the bonus locations already put in, correct? So that means the hours and hours that had been spent in the past inputting the bonus locations was now saved, so the riders could concentrate solely on the route they wanted to ride. Am I getting that right? If so, at least in my mind, that is a HUGE step forward.

Dumb question, but I want to see if I am understanding correctly. The riders were given flash drives with all of the bonus locations already put in, correct? So that means the hours and hours that had been spent in the past inputting the bonus locations was now saved, so the riders could concentrate solely on the route they wanted to ride. Am I getting that right?
Basically, yes, this is correct.

Mind you, the Flash drive files are waypoints only... riders still must take their bonus listings and marry up which bonus points are associated with specific pushpins.

So, yes, a huge time-saver.... but the rider still must design his/her route.

And it also reduces, not eliminates, but reduces the chance of them going to the wrong place. Actually they know they will be going to a bonus location, but the worst case scenario is that they crossed signals and are going to a much lower point value location than they thought. Correct?

And it also reduces, not eliminates, but reduces the chance of them going to the wrong place. Actually they know they will be going to a bonus location, but the worst case scenario is that they crossed signals and are going to a much lower point value location than they thought. Correct?
Yeah, we used/tested the electronic boni-format in the MD2020.

You get a list of waypoints.

Long/Lat + ID

Then the rally book or something gave you the points for the ID and a description. Get a receipt for this that or the other, avaiable 8:30am to 5:30pm.

There's a very handy spreadsheet that the Scott put together that allows you to crunch these, assign point values, color code em, and assign colors/shapes.

Boni less than 100 points are black.

101- 1000 points are yellow

1001 on up are Red, or what ever

Different rallys use different point systems.

Once you get those in, then you pick a route.

You can still screw it up though... if you typo a point value or availability issue, etc.

But yeah, from nothing to this is HUGE. Unless you're seriously computer challenged then maybe not.

IMHO, the most enticing, and frustrating, dis/advantage of the bonii so readily available on a map is to see a 'crime scene' near me (Delray Beach, FL), yet not know what it is until it's officially posted in a day or two during the next leg.

Sportster

IMHO, the most enticing, and frustrating, dis/advantage of the bonii so readily available on a map is to see a 'crime scene' near me (Delray Beach, FL), yet not know what it is until it's officially posted in a day or two during the next leg.

Sportster
I think I know what the crime scene is near me, but I hesitate to post it for fear of 1) damaging anyone's chances of winning and 2), gettin' my butt kicked off this board. :unsure:

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

It is my understanding that a number of riders have already been in the Martha's Vineyard bonus and are outta there already, so it appears that the bonus was readily do-able. If you intend to be on the podium at the Finish, you really needed to get this bonus.
I only know for certain that Skoot was headed that way; I can't confirm/deny any of the other FJRs... so we could easily have many more that went.
!
[SIZE=12pt]Tom posted that about 20 will do MV, but he didn't say what bikes they were on. [/SIZE]

I noticed that one of the ferries has mechanical problems today and there was a 4 hour wait at one point to get back, I don't know if the free wifi works in the ferry wait line.

You need to do two ferries to get to the bridge. Chappaquiddick ferry cost $20 I think and can have waiting lines also.

A quick FJRForum rider update:

SkooterG, Bob St George and Terry Neale all appear to have gotten the Martha Vinyard bonus!

Iggy is dicking around in West Virgina.

Jerry White is dicking around in Kentucky, as is NMdcporter.

All for now....