2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

A quick FJRForum rider update:
SkooterG, Bob St George and Terry Neale all appear to have gotten the Martha Vinyard bonus!

Iggy is dicking around in West Virgina.

Jerry White is dicking around in Kentucky, as is NMdcporter.

All for now....
[SIZE=12pt]Go Bob, our very own Masshole FJR dude! [/SIZE]

He dropped out of the 2007 because his brand new ElectroSport stator electrocuted itself.

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]
A quick FJRForum rider update:
SkooterG, Bob St George and Terry Neale all appear to have gotten the Martha Vinyard bonus!

Iggy is dicking around in West Virgina.

Jerry White is dicking around in Kentucky, as is NMdcporter.

All for now....
[SIZE=12pt]Go Bob, our very own Masshole FJR dude! [/SIZE]

He dropped out of the 2007 because his brand new ElectroSport stator electrocuted itself.
In that particular case, Bob St George had his fucked-up dealership to thank for that, not the Electrosport stator. They pinched a wire during the install job.... they basically fucked Bob St George out of his 2007 IBR. :angry2:

Let's not forget Derek Dickson, he kicked ass in the MD2020. I expect good things from him.

Oh and Jaques on his ZX12E and Jennyfer on her CBRXX with like a bajillion miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok,

So here is a story I have been waiting to tell until after the names of the participants have been released, and since we have some down time, hopefully you will enjoy.

Friday, Aug 14 I was at Yamaha of Cucamonga getting the valves checked for the second time on my 06. While I was waiting around, I went out to lunch w/ Turbo Dave to wish him luck in the IBR. This was two days before he was to take off for South Carolina.

Anyway, after lunch I was waiting for them to finish my service (one exhaust valve out of spec), when I saw a 2007 FJR pulling up that was obviously set up for long distance riding with aux fuel, a rider in full Aerostich in spite of the 90 degree plus temps, etc. I went to meet the rider, and ask if he was heading to the start of the IBR. He said yes. He was stopping at YOC to purchase a set of tires to install sometime around the Santa Ana Checkpoint.

One of the reasons I am telling this story is to let eveyone know that Yamaha of Cucamonga is going to be offering 24 hour service for IBR riders around the time of CP 2. The owner said he lives just down the street, and if called would open up the shop for tire changes, oil changes, and whatever the rider needs, even after the 9PM Santa Ana checkpoint deadline. This is the great service that YOC provides, and if any FJR riders get into a bind in SoCal that requires a shop, there is a safe port in the storm.

The rider on the 07 looked vaguely familiar, and I asked his name, and did not recognize it. He said he did not spend much time on the computer, if you can imagine that. I guess some people are like that.

I asked him how many miles he had on his 07. He said 8K as he wanted a fresh ride for the IBR, so he just broke it in and got to know it, but kept it essentially new. This puzzled me as I knew he had to have done some serious miles to get into the IBR. So I asked him what his previous ride was. He said he used to ride a blue Triumph Sprint ST, which is pretty uncommon for Long Distance riding.

After just a second, I remembered where I had seen him before. Mark Dieck was one of the participants in the WPF rally, and he and his blue Triumph were prominently featured in the most excellent photos taken by the offical photographer. That is where I had seen him before.

It turns out that he has only had one certified ride, which was the 2000 Gerlachfest world record SS1K with 64 riders completing it, including lots of distinguished company. I hope he will be changing that over the next 10 days.

It was great meeting him and wishing him well on his way to the IBR, and I though you would like a little background info on one of the FJR participants. I am not positive, but I think that is his bike next to Catfish's Darkside FJR in the photo posted earlier in this thread.

Oh and Jaques on his ZX12E and Jennyfer on her CBRXX with like a bajillion miles.
Jennyfer has a bit of history riding with her... she is using one of the aux cell(s) and light brackets from the BBG Hell Week Blackbird.... B)
Fixed it for you. ;)
No, single pillion mounted tank, not the 40 gallons he carried during hell week if I recall correctly. We rode with her and Jaques for a while in the MD2020. That girl can ride, Jaques ain't to bad either.

She said even you (Warchild) was impressed with the miles she had on it. (over 250k if I recall correctly).

-MD

(40 gals was toungue in cheek, she had some big ass Givi e41's last time I saw her).

After just a second, I remembered where I had seen him before. Mark Dieck was one of the participants in the WPF rally, and he and his blue Triumph were prominently featured in the most excellent photos taken by the offical photographer. That is where I had seen him before.
Yep... here is Mark Dieck on his blue Triumph at the odo check for White Pine Fever talking to HMarc Lewis while Iggy checks rear tread depth...

wpf035.jpg

Here is Mark and I chatting after his odo run (when I still had hair!)

wpf076.jpg

Jennyfer has a bit of history riding with her... she is using one of the aux cell(s) and light brackets from the BBG Hell Week Blackbird.... B)
Fixed it for you. ;)
No, single pillion mounted tank, not the 40 gallons he carried during hell week if I recall correctly.
Reading comprehension is the key MD. I corrected WC's post to read 'one of' instead of 'the' aux cell, since I full well know his 21 gallons via the two saddlebag cells and one pillion mount cell would not be allowable in the IBR. She's obviously using only one of the three WC rode with, most likely the pillion cell, since it make the most sense and is the most easily transferable. ;)

Well quick little update on Skooter. This morning he made it on and off of Martha's Vineyard without alerting the Secret Service. He said he was ahead of schedule and would be seeing if there were some extra bonii he could grab with is new found free time.

She's obviously using only one of the three WC rode with, most likely the pillion cell, since it make the most sense and is the most easily transferable. ;)
Correct, the pillion cell is what she is using.... she has a couple ginormous Givi bags in the saddlebag area.

Well quick little update on Skooter. This morning he made it on and off of Martha's Vineyard without alerting the Secret Service. He said he was ahead of schedule and would be seeing if there were some extra bonii he could grab with is new found free time.
Art, very glad to hear he's also pestering you; thought I was the only one getting bugged. Dork calls at 0400 singing to me!!

Art, very glad to hear he's also pestering you; thought I was the only one getting bugged. Dork calls at 0400 singing to me!!

Let's see if he is that chipper on day 8+.....

Go get 'em Scooter!

B

Let's see if he is that chipper on day 8+.....

Go get 'em Scooter!

B

That's not chipper talking...that's psychotic talking.

So all is normal.

An RSS news feed is now available for the IBR 2009 Daily Reports:

https://www.goption.com/ibr/index.xmlPlug the URL into your favorite news reader (like Google Reader), and you can read the daily reports soon after they are posted, instead of having to check the IBR site over and over looking for new postings.

Fixed it for you. ;)
No, single pillion mounted tank, not the 40 gallons he carried during hell week if I recall correctly.
Reading comprehension is the key MD. I corrected WC's post to read 'one of' instead of 'the' aux cell, since I full well know his 21 gallons via the two saddlebag cells and one pillion mount cell would not be allowable in the IBR. She's obviously using only one of the three WC rode with, most likely the pillion cell, since it make the most sense and is the most easily transferable. ;)
Fuck reading comprehension, I was thinking WC only had the two saddle bag fuel cells, didn't think about one on the pillion seat as well. Sheit. :)

Dale, where does our wild man, Turbo Dave, fit in by age with the rest of the crazy's?
We will find out tonight, because they have their first "call-in" bonus today....

But I have an Iggy update I can give you now....

He called in a little while ago from Washington DC after a day full of hunting bonus points. He's done there and headed for Pennsylvania. There is an early morning bonus he wants and thinks he can get near it tonight and have about a 7 hour hotel stay - sleep and fine tuning on the plan. Then it's off to Chicago for the checkpoint, which will take most of the day.