2012 FJR1300 information released

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yamaha should have at list painted the side panels to differentiate it from the 2006 model. This is how mine looked like after I had that done. Much better in my opinion.

IMG_1369a.jpg
just noticed that. Yep, looks much better and not sure why they wouldn't do it on this model when my '08 is black and not silver.

Oh, style engineers at Yamaha. "What can we do to make it look almost the same but a bit different than 6 years ago?" I wonder, I wonder? Maybe shake it up and offer a Candy Apple Red one damn it!

:)

I feel very lucky, Raven Black is my favorite color on the FJR even before I bought my '08. I am ok with no change because I really like the lines of this model and now my '08 is still current. And the bugs have been worked out.

Fred w asked why I felt like pitching the 05 fjr.

The main reason was heat. My bike had a little more than 50k on it. Not huge miles by standards set by others here on the forum. I have to admit that my one and only child @ 5 1/2 years old has kept my wife off the back and me off the road more than used to be normal.

When I do ride, I ride 300-400 mile rides out of atlanta up to North carolina or Tennessee. Being down here in heat land the blow torch was smoking my inner upper thighs as well as other significant body parts near the seat.

I was in the mood for a new bike after riding the 05 over a period of 6 years 11 months and 4 days.

I may have considered another FJR with the different heat management but there was also one other deciding factor.

The other factor was that my bike was a ticker and had the engine apart under warranty for the fix. I have had over a dozen big bore in line fours and v-four vfr's over the years with out ever one bit of engine problems. So even though the FJR is a great bike, I was not really looking at spending anymore cash with Yamaha if possible.

Seems reasonable.

Sorry that you got a bad taste in your mouth over the ticker issue. I guess if was me and they fixed it (for good) I would have just considered that water under the bridge. But if the heat was too much for you (in your environment), that would be a problem. In my environment the heat is a bonus at least half of the riding season. I'd actually like to get some more heat in the late fall.

Good luck with your new Connie. I've not had very good luck with Kawi's over the years and think Yami actually treats their owners a tad better. But it's all about the luck of the draw, and the roll of the dice. You buy a ticket and take yer chances.

Colour is still nice. Glad they moved away from the boring old black or silver motifs. ;)

Anyone who thought they'd have done any remarkable changes was definitely dreaming.
rolleyes.gif

My bike doesn't look like any of those women. If it did I would ride naked.

It does however look pretty nice. I do really like the Cobalt Blue. So glad to see it return, although was really hoping for something new... Like RED...or white, yellow or just something different.

I am also glad just to see a 2012 model...I love the bike the way it is... So, not disappointed that they didn't "improve it" by just trying to "compete" with the Kaw or the new BMW.

You get something right the first... Or second time.... Why fuck with it?

To get to the real crux of the biscuit :

Only a gay guy would care what damn color his bike is.

It's about the machine here men... not the freaking color!! What are you? A bunch of gurls?
Why yes, HerFJR would just *LOVE* to have a white FJR. What color would MEM or FJRChick or Tyler like?
cough, cough, cough... RED... Heidi would like red... not '07 red... but deep, deep red.

Yamaha should have at list painted the side panels to differentiate it from the 2006 model. This is how mine looked like after I had that done. Much better in my opinion.

IMG_1369a.jpg
Nice looking color combination with the blue side panels. I like it!

Glad to see that Yamaha has chosen to continue bringing the FJR to the States. Single color per year or not it's still a great bike and IMHO, is still the best compromise STourer out there...it might not be perfect but it does a lot of things extremely well!

They'll always be one in my garage! :)

--G

The blue is nice but still not as fast as the 07 :p . I think if it had all blue panels & black wheels it would look nicer. At least our bikes have ABS & fuel injection, as the poor Venture guys still have 4 carbs & a cassette player (how high tech) :yahoo:

I don't know about you guys but for some reason I always get a bit of a chubby when I see an fjr. I love the way they look with the saddle bags on....kinda like an oversize pair of sweater muffins. :dribble:

You know... when you have something that looks like Michelle Pfeiffer, does it really matter what color it is???

I too am happy to see the FJR remain available. I was expecting much worse.
Well put Jeff! I still consider the FJR as the best styled Sport Tourer out there. The new Beemer may have balls and features, but it has a hell of a price tag and it ain't nothin' to look at.

Yamaha needs to wake up and not leave such a great bike die such a slow agonizing death. The FJR set a higher standard for performance in a Sport Touring bike and they have stood still while others have move forward. I still love to ride my FJR but it is becoming very dated.

Still like mine...looks better than anything else out there, takes regular (87 octane) gas and still gets to 100 as fast as I need to. Oh, and it handles the twisty stuff pretty damn good too. But I guess that why we're all hear

Yamaha needs to wake up and not leave such a great bike die such a slow agonizing death. The FJR set a higher standard for performance in a Sport Touring bike and they have stood still while others have move forward. I still love to ride my FJR but it is becoming very dated.
Dated?? Dated how? The other manufacturers "moving forward" was mostly them catching up. Most have smaller tanks and require premium fuel while maybe making marginally better horse power.

Some others have traction control; no thanks. 6 speed tranny; no thanks. K-Pass; really...No thanks. What else is dated? The design? I still like the plastics more than others. The engine? Fuel injected 1300 making 145 horses and lots-o-torque...Still relevant in most books. ABS...STANDARD! The higher priced ST1300 never had standard ABS.

I'm with you...It would be nice to see some good changes, but those always come at a cost, or a compromise...Or something. Right now, we all ride very fast, powerful, well laid-out motorcycles that can still hold their own against nearly everything out there...And definitely everything in its price-range.

Just some random thoughts...

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm... power outlets, cruise control, FM radio and CD player (w/bluetooth of course), heated seat, air conditioner, windshield wipers (with washer sprayer for those pesky bugs), a cup holder or two, two wheel drive for the snow/mud?

hmmm... power outlets, cruise control, FM radio and CD player (w/bluetooth of course), heated seat, air conditioner, windshield wipers (with washer sprayer for those pesky bugs), a cup holder or two, two wheel drive for the snow/mud?
I still love my 06 which is apparently the same as the 12 for all intents and purposes but there is room for improvement. While spinning it as

everyone else is playing catch-up is nice, there are things I'd like to see if they Yamaha wants my business when it's time for my next bike.

Consider the use/market this bike fits into and build in some farkles to that market.

Realistically doable items...

- Factory heated grips (that might be the case now)

- Cruise

- More flexibility with adjustable windshield, or perhaps just a better angle.

- On the fly EFI changes, sport/economy mode, etc.

- Better factory suspension from the get go.

- More/Better usable power outlets

- Better Stator (more excess power).

- Jebus, make the headlight bulbs easier to change.

- Keyless (and larger) saddlebags.

- Com System? Even if it's a factory add-on?

- Few more CC's just for the hell of it.

- Greater handlebar control flexibility (more range of motion, not just 5mm forward or back).

- Consider factory sliders/bumpers. (ST1300/GW tip over guards)

- If all of that adds 100lbs, you better add a reverse ;)

- Factory Aux lighting built into the controls/harness for the customer to add their own, plug and play.

All just a dream I'm sure.

Dated?? Dated how? The other manufacturers "moving forward" was mostly them catching up. Most have smaller tanks and require premium fuel while maybe making marginally better horse power.

Some others have traction control; no thanks. 6 speed tranny; no thanks. K-Pass; really...No thanks. What else is dated? The design? I still like the plastics more than others. The engine? Fuel injected 1300 making 145 horses and lots-o-torque...Still relevant in most books. ABS...STANDARD! The higher priced ST1300 never had standard ABS.

I'm with you...It would be nice to see some good changes, but those always come at a cost, or a compromise...Or something. Right now, we all ride very fast, powerful, well laid-out motorcycles that can still hold their own against nearly everything out there...And definitely everything in its price-range.

Just some random thoughts...
I'm with the Armadillo Fornicator, don't change a PERFECT motorcycle!

I'm with the Armadillo Fornicator, don't change a PERFECT motorcycle!
I'm not an Armadillo fornicator you horses ass. They're nearly impossible to find outside of Texas. Due to those difficulties, I have moved on to Gila Monsters. Those are some wriley fuckers.

"I gotta monster for a Gila Monster." Has a certain ring to it...Dont you think??