2012 FJR1300 information released

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the BMW K1600, I hope BMW is not using the sealed final drive as used on the R1200RT. Several of my friends have had the final drive fail and BMW will not stand behind the repair. What jack ass manufacturer would produce such a unit?

Interesting comments regarding the '12 model. I've had two FJR's and I will not buy another until Yamaha gets its act together and makes the following improvements. Optional bar risers, electronic cruise control, taller windscreen, 6sp trans, grip warmers, tire pressure monitors, mirrors that give a clear rear view, and external power supply outlet. There is no excuse for not having most of these features. You can get some of them on the Concourse and the price is competitive with the current FJR. Why do we have to buy all this after market shit? What is the problem getting a 6sp trans on the new FJR? They have it on other models. With 145hp a 6 Sp overdrive would provide much better MPG. I have a Lexus es350 with 268hp weighing 3600lbs. At 70mph it is turning 2000rpm and plenty of power on varied terrain. If you check the HP to WT ratio, the FJR could easily handle normal riding with a 6 gear overdrive. What do you accomplished riders say?
I say I DON'T want you in charge of designing the next FJR!

Interesting comments regarding the '12 model. I've had two FJR's and I will not buy another until Yamaha gets its act together and makes the following improvements. Optional bar risers, electronic cruise control, taller windscreen, 6sp trans, grip warmers, tire pressure monitors, mirrors that give a clear rear view, and external power supply outlet. There is no excuse for not having most of these features. You can get some of them on the Concourse and the price is competitive with the current FJR. Why do we have to buy all this after market shit? What is the problem getting a 6sp trans on the new FJR? They have it on other models. With 145hp a 6 Sp overdrive would provide much better MPG. I have a Lexus es350 with 268hp weighing 3600lbs. At 70mph it is turning 2000rpm and plenty of power on varied terrain. If you check the HP to WT ratio, the FJR could easily handle normal riding with a 6 gear overdrive. What do you accomplished riders say?
I say I DON'T want you in charge of designing the next FJR!
+1, Gunny; 'art miller' you really need to go to work for Honda Motors in the Gold Wing Division, SERIOUSLY!

Interesting comments regarding the '12 model. I've had two FJR's and I will not buy another until Yamaha gets its act together and makes the following improvements. Optional bar risers, electronic cruise control, taller windscreen, 6sp trans, grip warmers, tire pressure monitors, mirrors that give a clear rear view, and external power supply outlet. There is no excuse for not having most of these features. You can get some of them on the Concourse and the price is competitive with the current FJR. Why do we have to buy all this after market shit?
Of all the items that you mention being mandatory above, all are available (to those that really want them) via the aftermarket, as you mention. But not everyone wants taller bars, cruise control, taller windshield, TPMS, or thinks the mirrors need to be wider. Heated grips and a (low wattage) power outlet are already standard equipment on all FJRs now. Adding all of these features would necessarily increase the base cost, even for those people that do not want them.

Personally, I also like the ability to choose which of the aftermarket mods to install that will best fit me personally. For instance, if Yamaha put a bigger windshield on the FJR it probably still wouldn't be big enough for me in winter (I'm tall in the saddle), nor small enough for me in the summer. So not only would I have paid for the new windshield up front, I'd still have to buy my custom windshields anyway.

What is the problem getting a 6sp trans on the new FJR? They have it on other models. With 145hp a 6 Sp overdrive would provide much better MPG. I have a Lexus es350 with 268hp weighing 3600lbs. At 70mph it is turning 2000rpm and plenty of power on varied terrain. If you check the HP to WT ratio, the FJR could easily handle normal riding with a 6 gear overdrive. What do you accomplished riders say?
Better off realizing that this just isn't going to happen. It would require a complete redesign of the engine and cases to fit that extra gear in there, which would necessitate a change in the frame to hold the new engine. IOW, a complete redesign, just for an extra gear? By the way, having a 6th gear doesn't necessarily mean the top gear would be taller. They could also just change the gear ratios of the 5 existing gears to achieve that taller top gear, and then spread the other gear ratios out a bit more. Or how about alternate final drive ratios? Just changing the FD might accomplish what you're looking to do, without a total redesign.

But, just how much better do you think the fuel economy would get with a taller top gear? Maybe a few mpg at best? The biggest impact of that would be on fuel tank range, which might actually make such a change somewhat worthwhile.

But if you are looking for a lot better fuel economy you might want to consider riding a motorcycle with a much smaller engine. ;)

So lesse...I like the handlebars, I like the windshield, I added a power outlet where I wanted to put it, and I love the fact that this bike does not have 6 gears.

AM, have you ever ridden a ST with 6 a six-speed tranny? If you have, you would know that you spend all day shifting because the ratios are different. Currently, with only 5 speeds, the FJR's final engine speed is actually lower than most of the other options out there. A 6th gear is a waste of time and money as is higher bars and a bigger windshield.

Now...Factory cruise control and some better color options would be awesome.

Other wise, take the TPMS bullshit and other electronic gizmos and add them to your bike if you want...Or buy a BMW.

Oh wait...I see you don't like those either. There's always one.

Interesting comments regarding the '12 model. I've had two FJR's and I will not buy another until Yamaha gets its act together and makes the following improvements. Optional bar risers, electronic cruise control, taller windscreen, 6sp trans, grip warmers, tire pressure monitors, mirrors that give a clear rear view, and external power supply outlet. There is no excuse for not having most of these features...
Sounds like you're going to be doing without a new FJR for awhile...a really long while. :D

+1 for the FJR 5 speed tranny!

All 4 bikes I keep are 5 speeds...the best cars have 5 speeds...my first bicycle had 5 speeds ;)

I had a Connie and hated all the toe-work just to get from one light to the next. This bike can cruise all day (about 50 mpg ) @ 75-80 mph. I can zip-it or just crrruuiiissseee along easy.

Leave the damn bike alone!!! Change colors, keep prices real, and make a profit. Maybe someday I'll buy another FJR and have a matched set. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride the short bus to shade tree mechanic school, but even I was able to install bar risers, a taller windshield, a second power outlet, and a cup holder.

I would like optional cruise control. For heaven's sake, some of the Yamaha cruisers have cruise control!

I have a Ninja 250 if I want six gears and great gas mileage.

Hi to all

Here's my take on the matter. Firstly the FJR was designed to cater for the sports/touring market with the emphasis on sports. All agree, thought so.Secondly,Having owned mine now for 3 years(05 Gen1) i have not come across another sports/touring bike i would prefer to own period.Ok.. there's the Connie with it's ugly exhaust,the new over priced BMW's,the new VFR Honda, Hayabusa's etc but they don't honestly cut it for me. The FJR gives me the best of both worlds. A brilliant touring bike with looks to match and then just wip off the panniers/topbox to have a competent sports bike. Now if you want farkle the hell out of your bike to suit the type of rider you are that's just fine but don't complain that the 2012 FJR hasn't got cruise control,6 speed,reverse,better lights,more HP the list goes on and on from what iv'e read cause some of us don't want all that crap. If you want all that go by yourself a wing. Suck it in fella's and move on. It's a beautiful day here and i'm goin for a ride.Merry xmas

Gazza

What's with all the complaining about a 6 speed? I personally like my fjr but am not opposed to a 6 speed. I like shifting and if its such a burden maybe you all should think about getting mopeds.

What's with all the complaining about a 6 speed? I personally like my fjr but am not opposed to a 6 speed. I like shifting and if its such a burden maybe you all should think about getting mopeds.
Because it would add cost, and result in a poorer riding experience (in my opinion at least). just because it has a bigger number doesn't necessarily mean it's better. A 6 speed would change the gearing ratios, which would change where the power band lies in each gear. I think the existing gearing and it's associated power bands at various speeds is ideal. For casual passes at highways speeds, I really like that I don't have to downshift. A 6 speed would very likely necessitate shifting for any sort of passing power.

I have to say that since this bike is marketed as a "Sport-Tourer" cruise control should at least be a reasonable cost option. I think it's ridiculous that our only bolt-on option is about $800. Please, by the time I changed my seat,windshield, triple-tree, and all the other goodies to personalize I could have bought a used Wing and a used duel sport, or another smaller street bike for around town.

I do really like my '08 but it's not the end all of bikes. So, these improvements wished for are not outlandish in the competitive sense. I won't comment on the 6th gear issue because I don't have a problem with the 5sp. and I see both sides of this argument. Yamaha makes a good bike, I wish if they're not going to redesign something to compete for years maybe they should address some of these concerns instead of acting like an American Car Company that we'll buy whatever they put out. This attitude is what sent people like me to Japanese cars for better value and reliability.

I understand all the issues with the C1400 but I was impressed how quickly they fixed some of the major faults and complaints within three model years. Given a lack of brand preference, our bikes compared to the features on the Kawasaki people will by the 1400 most of the time. I can't say I blame them from a cursory examination.

Finally, Honda excels in the refinement arena with their autos. They change the design every 4 years. Some people who are value conscious wait until the 4th year before the redesigned model comes out to get the one with all the bugs worked out, most features, and best price before any price increase for the new model.

From this standpoint, Yamaha has had 10 model years since bringing the FJR to the U.S. to make the best possible bike from essentially the same design and there's still some of the same complaints.

Can we square this with how Yamaha has handled our concerns? The internet/blogs such as this give them unprecedented consumer research data to draw from.

Oh and BTW, the mirrors do suck. I had to spend money on rubber risers that got them out beyond my arms. I shouldn't have had to spend this money or change to the more desirable FZ/YZ or whatever bike they're from.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it would add cost, and result in a poorer riding experience (in my opinion at least). just because it has a bigger number doesn't necessarily mean it's better. A 6 speed would change the gearing ratios, which would change where the power band lies in each gear. I think the existing gearing and it's associated power bands at various speeds is ideal. For casual passes at highways speeds, I really like that I don't have to downshift. A 6 speed would very likely necessitate shifting for any sort of passing power.
+1, Gunny; I'm 100% with phroenips, our FJR's don't need no stinking 6 speed!

Latest posts